- Text Size +

Nick rolled over in bed and bumped into a skinny log. Named Ben. Stinkin’ kid…none of this was supposed to happen. He was supposed to do his time with the kid, go about his business and live his life. He wasn’t planning on change. On maturity. On…caring.

He looked at the clock and groaned, feeling much more awake than the 4 am time should allow. He checked on Ben one more time and got up, hoping a trip to the bathroom would be enough that he could go back to sleep.

As he stepped into the living room, he startled, seeing something move in the shadows.

“Hello?”

“Nick?”

“Lani? What are you doing up?” He walked toward her, rubbing his eyes as they adjusted to the deeper darkness in the room.

“I can’t sleep, dammit. I sent Tony into my room so I could pace or whatever.”

“Aw, I’m sorry…hang on, I’ll be right back out.”

“You don’t have to stay up with me. I do this all the time when I travel.”

“It’s okay…I’m feeling kinda restless too.” Before she could argue, he closed the bathroom door. She didn’t want him to stay up too. She knew from experience that she was probably up for the day. Homesickness sucked. Especially when you were really having fun anyway.

Nick came back and sat down in the chair across the table from her, rubbing his head, trying to decide if he was awake or asleep. “You okay?”

“Yeah…I just do this shit all the time. Makes me mad.”

“What exactly is it you do?” He looked up to her and could see she was shaking. “Lani…hon…what’s up?” He took her hand in his. It was cold and clammy.

“I do this…shake like a leaf. My stomach’s all screwed up. The more I try to relax the more spazzed out I get.”

“Why?”

“I dunno. I’ve always called it homesickness. I did it as a kid…still do it as a grown up. I was too tired last night I guess.”

“Yuck. Can I help?”

“Go back to bed. I’ll just be up for the day. I’ll be okay.”

He felt her body shiver and he grabbed her hand more tightly. “No. Come on…we need to calm you down. Did anything help before?”

“Um, yeah…but, I dunno.”

“What?”

“My ex used to rub my head until I fell asleep. That’s about the only thing that worked.”

“We can do that…we’ll kick Tony out again…or Ben.”

“Let Ben be. And no on Tony…he’s put up with enough with us.”

“Lani, trust me. He’d sleep if he was tied to the top of a tour bus. Probably won’t even remember you moving him. You need to sleep.”

She shivered again, from the inside out and moaned. “God, I hate this.”

“Then let’s fix it. Come on.”

“Let me stop in the bathroom one more time…how attractive, huh?”

“You sick?”

“No, uh…just…go move Tony. I’ll be in in a few.”

As she got up, he squeezed her hand and sat there for a few more minutes, thinking through a million things. It’d be a miracle if he got back to sleep too. His album, the group, Ben, Lani, life, career, future, past…it all jumbled up in his head and spelled one thing right now. Happiness. It made no sense, but there it was. Happiness.

“You still out here?”

“Yeah, sorry…got to day dreaming.”

“Well, you should be dreaming, but in your own bed. I’ll be okay, Nick.”

He saw her shake again and got up, taking her hand in his, guiding her to her room. “Nope. We’re gonna get you back to sleep first.”

“You’re stubborn.”

“Yes, I am. You’re gonna have to tell me what to do.”

She climbed in bed and patted the spot next to her. “Come sit…”

He propped the pillows up against the headboard and slid in, holding the blanket up for her as she laid down beside him, turning her back to him. “Now, tell me where to lay so you can reach without it hurting your arm, okay?”

“Okay…scoot out to the edge a bit more and we’re fine.”

She scooted over and snuggled into the pillow deeper, sighing as her body shook just as it had settled. “Dammit.”

“Homesickness, huh?” He rubbed her head gently, pulling her long, wavy locks away from the side to the back, rubbing her neck and back as he got to the end of the strands. She was still shaking every few moments, but he noticed her breathing was getting a bit more regular.

“Yeah…how do you do it?”

“I guess I got used to it. I didn’t used to travel well though.”

“No?”

“Nope. I always ended up curled up in bed with Brian when I was younger. Probably drove him nuts.”

“I doubt it. He was your friend.”

Was. Yeah. Damned ugly word for only having three letters in it. But the ‘was’s’ of life weren’t important anymore. Right here were the is’s, the now’s, the will be’s. The was’s would help him along the way, but his focus was now. And right now, he couldn’t imagine being in a better place.

“Am I doing this right?” Her hair was so soft, the waves in it just like the soft ones that rolled into his gulf coast beach at home. Slight, even. Beautiful.

“Yeah, it’s perfect. Feels nice.”

“Good. You missing Rosalie?”

“Yes…a lot. She drives me crazy when I’m with her and when I’m not…”

“You go crazy.”

“Exactly. Little brat.”

“Oh, the little brat asked me to do something, by the way.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah…” He leaned down and softly, slowly kissed her temple, letting his lips linger a few more seconds than he probably should have. As she rolled back to meet his eyes, their breath caught and Nick quickly sat back up and patted her shoulder. “From Rosalie.”

“Thank you, Rosalie.”

She rolled back to her side, Nick continuing to rub her hair, watching the rise and fall of her body as she breathed, letting himself relax as her shaking seemed to decrease. He stopped as she shifted onto her belly and moaned softly, then quickly went back to work rubbing the shakes away.

“Goodnight, Nick.”

“Goodnight, Lani.”

And she was out. Now what was he supposed to do? He kept rubbing her hair, loving the feel of it in his fingers, the softness of her neck when his fingers would slip deep enough into the thick mane and brush it. But he was getting tired and dammit, he didn’t want to have to get up and walk across the suite again.

So, he risked it. What the hell? He was already in her bed.

He slid down into the covers, keeping his back to her and snuggled in, trying to relax and failing miserably. Until…

…she snuggled back against him, reached back and patted his hip with her hand. “Thank you for staying.”

“Thank you for letting me.”

She moaned a peaceful sigh again and cuddled into her pillow, giving him permission to do the same. Happiness. Yes…definitely happiness.

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~~

Nick stumbled out of Lani’s room after a good number of hours of excellent sleep, only to have the judgmental eyes of Ben and Tony on him. He decided to play ignorant.

“’Morning.”

“’Morning, Mr. Carter…nice Mr. Carter.” Ben gulped down the last of his orange juice and tried not to snicker. He thought he had all the answers now, didn’t he?

“’Morning Mr. Casey…you guys eat already?”

“Yup. We were hungry. You, uh…get enough sleep?”

“Finally, yeah…Lani couldn’t sleep.”

“Mmmm…wonder why?”

“Because she was homesick and got all jittery. So, I went in and helped calm her down.” Nick walked over to Tony’s plate and thwapped him on the head. “You didn’t leave me any bacon?”

“Nope…you were too busy, uh…calming down Lani.”

“Oh for God’s sake you guys. You need to get laid or something.” Realizing he was talking to a thirteen year old as well, he stopped and retracted. “Well, okay…you don’t need to get laid…never mind. I’m taking a shower.”

He shook his head at the snickers that followed him and slammed the door shut in mock anger. He knew they were probably kidding…and if not, he’d have some explaining to do with Ben. The truth was, as wonderful as it was waking up and seeing her there, he had to get the hell out of the room before he did something they’d both regret. She never moved when he left and he was grateful. Had she opened up those chocolate brown eyes, he’d have been a goner.

Their day went on with no more mention of the morning arrangements as they did some more sight seeing, this time to shops and stores…more of Lani’s style. The boys were bored, but made the best of it. They were together. It was fun. Even in Macy’s.

That night everyone actually stayed in their “assigned” beds and slept well. Which was good…it was time to go home. Time to cash in on Rosalie hugs and gear back up for school again. And work. And life.

“You gonna go out ahead of me again?” Nick tossed his toiletries into his bag and zipped it up. Tonight he’d actually get to spit in his own sink. Ah, the simple pleasures of life.

“It doesn’t matter. They know we’re with you now. They asked me for a friggin’ autograph yesterday.” Neither Ben nor Solana really liked the fans hanging at the hotel. Nick had been having them leave first so no one would know they were together, but fans are smart. They figured it out in due time.

“You didn’t give them one, did you?”

“Nope. Thanks to Tony here…we got away okay.” Solana nudged Tony’s arm and gave him a wink.

“Good…you don’t need that crap. How do you wanna do it today?”

“We can leave together. No sense making Tony go down twice. You okay with that, Ben?”

“Huh?” He looked up from his video game, totally oblivious to the happenings around him. “Oh, yeah…whatever. Just tell me where to go.”

Nick shook his head and looked to Ben’s empty bag, clothes still strewn all around it. Kids. “You packed, man? We’re gonna miss our flight.”

“Yeah, yeah. Just let me save the world here first.”

“Ben. Now.” Nick grabbed the remote and showed it to Ben. “Don’t make me pull Dad shit on you, man. Let’s go.”

“I’ll go down and see how bad it is…you’ll be ready in 5?” Tony went to the door and tossed the newspaper on the table. “…and don’t read that today, huh?”

“No, no newspaper today…Ben. Get up now.” Nick clicked the TV off, making Ben lose his game completely.

“Aw, Jesus, man…you could have let me save it!”

“You could have been packed and ready to go when we told you, too. Now get moving.”

Ben slammed the controller on the floor and grabbed his bag, shoving clothes in it. “You pulled the dad shit on me anyway, didn’t you?”

“Your choice, Ben…go brush your teeth, too.”

“Yeah, yeah…”

Ben finished storming around and Solana and Nick tried busying themselves so they wouldn’t laugh at the kid. Nick was enjoying it a bit too much. For too many years he had been the one storming around because one of the other guys had come in and interrupted a damned good game with, “We gotta go.” Time for the tables to turn…it was too much fun.

Tony strolled back in, licking his lips from swiping a muffin on the breakfast buffet. “Okay, there’s just a small handful down there…all adult. We should be fine to say ‘hi’ and go…no pics.”

“Are we that late?”

“Yeah, asshole. Plane leaves at 1:15, not 1:45.”

“Oh shit…Ben!” Nick went into the bathroom where Ben was brushing his teeth. “Hurry up, Dawg…we’re really late now.”

“Damn, okay…”

They all scurried out of the room and out of the hotel, Ben and Solana sneaking past the few fans waiting out front without too much commotion. Nick wasn’t that lucky, of course. He signed without saying much, to hopefully dissuade them from anything lengthy.

“Nick…could we bother you for a pic?”

“Uh, I’m really in a hurry, but uh…” He looked up at Solana who was waiting at the van…she had an odd look on her face. Pride? Desire? No…couldn’t even go there. “But, uh, I can do all four of you at once.”

Ben suddenly disappeared behind the van and Solana buried her face in her hands. He looked back up to them, silently asking, “What’d I say?” and got no help at all.

“Oooh…okay, can, uh…can she take the pic?” The tallest of the bunch handed a camera to Solana who stopped giggling long enough to take over as photographer.

“Short one in front…the rest of you come here.” Nick held out an arm to each side, bringing the ladies in close.

“Okay, you guys…say ‘Justin’s Timber’s a Fake’!” Solana put the camera up to her face and saw no one looking at her. They were all doubled over in laugher, Nick resting his head on the shorter woman in front of him. She quickly snapped the goofy shot and waited for everyone to quit giggling.

“I can’t take it if you aren’t looking at me…” She giggled too and aimed the camera. “Mr. Carter. Your shoulders are still twitching. Hold still.”

“Ahem. Sorry.”

“One…two…” she snapped the picture. “Three. There you go ladies…have a good day!” Just like a pro, Solana snuck into the van and locked the doors shut as soon as Nick closed it up.

“You are a brat. Justin’s Timber!?”

“You are an idiot.”

“What’d I do!?”

Ben started laughing again, shaking his head in disbelief that Nick had totally missed it. “Did you hear yourself, man?”

“No…what’d I say?”

In a mocking voice, Ben, Solana and Tony all recounted. “I can do all four of you at once!”

“Oh shit, I did not.”

“Oh yes, you did…I don’t think they caught it though.”

“God, I hope not. It’ll be all over the internet that I propositioned four broads.”

“Well, if not, I’ll put it up there for you.” Solana leaned her head on Nick’s shoulder and looked up batting her eyes. “I like a man with drive.”

“Oh shut up…god, is it time to get you guys home, yet?”

******~~~~~~******

Tony parted ways from the others at the airport and Solana took Nick and Ben home. Everyone was beat and Ben took full advantage and fell asleep on the way. As they pulled up to his house, Nick leaned back and woke him up.

“Hey, buddy…you’re home.”

“Huh?” Ben sat up quickly, forgetting where he was and rubbing his eyes to try to focus again. “Oh jeez. I fell asleep.”

“Yep…you have your bag back there or is it in the trunk?”

“It’s here. I’m good. Thanks guys. It was great.”

“Yeah…I’ll definitely fly you out during my tour and stuff, okay?”

He climbed out of the car and leaned in through Nick’s window to continue their conversation. “Really? Are you serious!?”

“Hell yeah, man. We’ll get you out on a weekend or two. No missing school.”

“Awesome!” He reached in and gave Nick’s neck a hug. “Thanks again. Will we meet up before you take off again?”

“Yeah, middle of the week maybe?”

“Sounds good. I’ll talk to…” Ben looked up across the street and stopped talking. Stopped breathing. Stopped everything.

“Ben…you okay?” Nick’s eyes followed to where Ben’s had landed and saw…nothing much. “What’s up, man?”

“Ben…you okay?” Solana leaned over to look through the window, noticing Ben slump against her car. “Nick…”

Nick got out and shook Ben’s arm. “Dude…what’s up?”

Ben rolled his head back in the direction of his original glance, pointing across the street. “See that bike over there?”

“Yeah…”

“That’s Erin’s house.”

“Uh-huh…”

“And…it’s Steve’s bike.”