- Text Size +

“Hey, Ben! Why didn’t you call last night?”

It would have helped Ben if she had found an ugly pill or something while he was gone. But, no. Erin looked more adorable and irresistible than usual. Naturally. But, he couldn’t flinch. He kept himself busy in his locker, rearranging books that didn’t need rearranging. “You had a visitor.”

“Oh…yeah. You got home early then, huh?”

Ben closed his locker and looked at her. “You were timing the visit so I’d miss it? What the hell, Erin?”

“No…Ben. Please don’t make a big deal out of this.”

“Who said I’m making it a big deal? I just told you why I didn’t call.” He started walking toward class, trying to keep up his wall of anger, but feeling like it was slipping away. He didn’t want Steve to have this control over him. He didn’t mind Erin having it. He wasn’t sure who was in control at the moment…all he knew…it wasn’t him.

“Ben, please.” She reached out and grabbed him arm, urging him to stop and turn around. He did with every ounce of frustration showing.

“What, Erin? I came home, I was tired, Steve was over there, and Mom was a grouch because she started her job today. I just didn’t call.”

“Fine. Can we meet after school?”

“Will your dad let you?”

“What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”

“But it might hurt you…or me.”

“Eh, he can kiss off. That’s why Steve was over anyway.”

“Huh?” Ben started walking again, this time with her instead of ahead of her. He much preferred it that way.

“Yeah, he ran into Steve at the grocery or something. Friggin’ invited him over. Like he’s matchmaking me or something.”

“You’re thirteen years old! What the hell?”

“Yeah, no kidding, huh?”

“God, he must really hate me.”

“He doesn’t know you, Ben.”

“He doesn’t want to know me, Erin.” They stopped at her room and he finally reached out to touch her, his heart softening to the pain that had seeped in when he saw Steve’s bike the night before. “Maybe he’s right…maybe you’d be better off without me.”

“NO! Ben…dad’s an idiot. It’s all about money to him. He doesn’t have any, so he’s always…” The bell rang, and they both glared at its incessant clanging. “God…meet me after 8th period, okay? Walk me home…kiss me…and…it’ll all work out.”

What he wanted was to kiss her now. But, that wasn’t looked real favorably upon, so…he just smiled. From his deepest place inside. And she knew. It was as good as a kiss. “Yeah, okay. Have a good afternoon.”

She squeezed his hand and disappeared into the room, leaving him feeling completely exhausted. Why hadn’t someone warned him how tiring women were?

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Amy! Get back here!” Kitty hopped up from her spot on the floor and chased after her little sister…right out the front door.

“Woah! Amy…where’d you come from?” Nick bent down and scooped up the diapered whirlwind, tossing her over his shoulder as she squealed.

“Oh, Nick! Hi…thanks. She’s walking one minute and running the next.”

“I guess. She can reach the handle?”

“No…the latch is busted. One push and she’s out. I’ve chased her three times this afternoon alone.”

Nick slid Amy down his front and held her at his hip. “You have to stay inside, girl.”

“No! Go out!”

“Mmm…Kitty wants you in.”

“No. Out.”

“Well, right now we’re going in. Where’s your brother, huh?”

Amy put her head on Nick’s shoulder and didn’t answer. Not that she had an answer anyway. If Amy had her way, she’d never have to talk. Everyone would talk for her.

“He’s over at Erin’s. Said he’d be back at 4:30.”

“Okay, I’m early…that’s cool.” He set Amy down, only to scoop her back up as she made a bee-line for the screen door again. “Amy. Come on. Where’s your dolly?”

Amy glanced around at all of her normal spots and not finding it, shimmied down from Nick’s arms and disappeared down the hall to get it. Score one for Nick. When she was out of sight, he closed the large wooden door. “I’d keep that closed ‘til you get the latch fixed.”

“Either that or just sit outside all night.”

“Whichever.”

“God knows when it’ll be fixed anyway.”

Jack and Liz heard Nick’s voice and ran in from the kitchen, happy for a diversion to their homework. “Hey guys…how’s school going?”

“Sucks.” Jack.

“Great!” Liz.

“That sounds about right. Lots of homework?”

“Yep. I have 15 math questions tonight. Come see.” Liz took Nick by the hand and dragged him into the kitchen. Jack sulked behind. He had 30 math questions. Oh to be in second grade again. Third grade sucked rocks.

“Why are you so pouty?” Nick tussled Jack’s hair as he slid into his chair.

“I dunno…just sick of homework and sick of Miss Happy over there.”

Miss Happy stuck out her tongue and went back to work. “Number 15…and I’m done. You know, Mr. Grouchy…” She bounced the eraser of her pencil on her lip, looking many years beyond her seven. Nick had missed her birthday. He made a quick mental note to take care of it on his next trip.

“What?”

“That if you spent less time being grouchy and more time doing homework, you’d be almost done by now.” She also talked beyond her seven years…smart little cookie.

“She’s got a point.”

“Oh, you’re no help.”

“Is it that hard?”

“No…I just wasn’t in the mood yet. I was liking summer.”

“Ah…that I get. Well, bud. Summer’s over. You’ve got cool clothes and a new teacher. Can’t all be bad.”

That made Jack smile…and big. He knew it was stupid, but having his own brand new clothes for the first time ever was the biggest thrill for him. He wore his new jeans everyday. Mrs. Casey couldn’t get the few pairs washed fast enough. He’d picked up a decent pair of older ones at the center’s sale, but they still laid under his bed unworn. “No, I guess it’s not. Wanna shoot hoops when I’m done?”

“If Ben’s not back yet, yeah…finish up.”

Liz finished her final problem and handed the paper to Nick to check it. “See if they’re right.”

He looked it over, finding it almost perfect. “Oops…missed one. Check your work and see if you find it.”

“I didn’t miss any!”

“Liz…yeah, ya’ did. No biggie. Just see if you can find it.” He put the paper back in front of her and rolled her pencil back to her.

“I never miss.” She did not like to be wrong. Especially in front of Jack. Especially in math in front of Jack.

“Mmm…well, stuff’s getting harder. You’re bound to miss now and again.”

“I never miss.” But, she looked. Reluctantly. She counted on her fingers, double checking her work and then…she saw it. “Oops. I missed.”

“Just one.”

“Yeah, but that would have made this a B. Poop.” She angrily erased her answer and fixed it, thanking Nick with her eyes. “I hate B’s.”

“Better than C’s.”

“Yes, but worse than A’s. I can get A’s…we all can.”

“Yep, you’re all smart.”

“So, what’d you miss, dweeb?” Jack was flying through his paper now that his attention was on it properly. He hated that math was so easy. He preferred English, but had to work on the writing part. He wanted to be good at that.

“5+3, dork.”

“Liz…5+3!? That’s a first grade problem!”

“I fixed it…I just forgot.”

Nick looked over at Jack’s paper and snickered. “Yeah, Jack…what’s 22-7?”

He looked down to where Nick was pointing and sheepishly back up at Nick. “It’s not 14 is it?”

“Nope…”

“Crap.” Jack erased his answer, ignoring his sister’s giggles. “Okay…22-7 is….is…15. Dang. I hate math.”

Just then the back door slammed open and Ben came tumbling in, out of breath, sweaty and covered in dust and grime.

Liz stuffed her paper into her backpack, looking up when she heard him panting and gasping for air. “Well, well…look what the cat dragged in.”

“Shut up…get me out of here Nick. Now.”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Feel better?” Nick put down the newspaper and handed Ben a bottled water.

“Yeah, thanks for letting me shower here.” He slunk down into the couch, kicking his feet up on the arm.

“You forgot the bottom of your feet, putz.”

“No one sees ‘em.”

“I’m seein’ ‘em…you got grocery store feet, man…if you’re gonna swim in my pool, go clean ‘em.”

Ben got up and groused, heading back down the hall to the bathroom with Nick following behind. “Jeez, you’re worse than my mother.”

“No comment. How’s the new job goin’ anyway?” Nick sat on the edge of the tub and tossed Ben his washcloth.

“I dunno. She comes home tired, but she seems…” He soaped up and sat on the commode to wash, propping his feet up on Nick’s lap to dry. “I dunno. More like a mom, I guess. Helps Jack and Liz get ready for school, asks about homework…it’s weird.”

“Sounds normal.”

“I don’t know that kind of normal, man.” Ben tossed the wet washcloth back into the sink and wiggled his toes. “Better, Dad?”

Nick lifted them up and inspected, peeking between his toes. “Yep. That’ll do. Dinner first? Then swim?”

“Yeah…I’m hungry.” Ben got up and let Nick lead back to the living room.

“So what the hell happened anyway…what were you running from?”

“Erin’s dad.”

“What!?” Just like in New York, Nick stopped on a dime and Ben plowed right into him.

“Damn, man…brake lights.” He pushed him toward the phone. “Food first.”

“Always.”