- Text Size +

The kids mysteriously disappeared down the hallway, shutting the door to Solana’s bedroom and busting into a fit of giggles as they shushed each other in the ‘secrecy’ of her room.

“I wanna play against those brats in poker. They suck at hiding stuff.” Nick picked up the roast platter and brought it into the kitchen where Solana was already rinsing dishes.

“I dunno…you haven’t figured anything out yet, have you?”

“Just that they’re up to something…and as a team, that’s scary.”

“Aw, don’t be scared. It’s Christmas…let them play.” She took the platter and let her eyes leave her work long enough to catch his glance. And stopped breathing. She really never imagined how difficult this night would be. Surrounded by kids and childish excitement there was no way anything else would be allowed in. But here it was.

Nick quickly looked away, hoping for a still cluttered table so he could leave her side…but it was clean. “Um…want me to wipe the table down?”

“Get some foil out first, so I can send you home with some of this.”

“Oooh…okay…that’s where?”

Pointing to a drawer with her foot, she directed him. “Down there…bottom drawer.”

He tried, he really did. But when he squatted down and pulled out the roll of foil, his eyes traveled to her legs. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Licking his lips and shutting his eyes, trying to also shut out all the thoughts running wildly through it, he stood up and pulled out a length of foil. “Do we have enough to send home with the Casey’s too? I can do without if not.”

“Yep…enough for everyone.”

They wordlessly scooped the roast into three large servings and Nick wrapped them up, sticking them all in the refrigerator until time to leave. The roast was so tender it hadn’t needed a knife. The tension in the air did. Thicker than a San Francisco fog.

“This was really good, Lani…thanks again.”

“Yeah, turned out nice.”

Uncomfortable silence hit again as Nick dug through her dishwater to find a soapy cloth. Instead he found her soapy hand. “Oh…’scuse me.”

“Here…” She plopped the dripping rag into his hand and let the platter rinse in the hot water. “I’m done here anyway.”

Why was this so difficult? They were friends. Confidants. Companions. And…yeah, there was that desire for more that was more overwhelming tonight than it had been since…well, since the last time they were together anyway. It seemed to be growing with each meeting. Add the beauty of the night…their dress, the decorations sprinkling her home and just the general magic of the holiday and it was downright alluring…uncontrollably alluring.

Nick wiped the table clean, scooping crumbs into his hand and carefully bringing them back to the sink to toss into the disposal. Lani had been leaning up against the counter, drying her hands, putting on hand cream, and watching every move he made.

“Nick…”

“Mmm?” Her voice was so deep and soft…he was going to lose his mind in a minute. He really was. Neeck…it lured him in 9 months ago and it was doing a job on him still. Although now…he knew she was no vampire. And if she was? Well, tough. What a way to die.

“What are you thinking?”

He lowered his head, turning on the water to rinse away the stray crumbs…and to avoid eye contact. “You, uh…you really don’t’ wanna know what I’m thinking, Lani.”

She leaned down in front of him to hang the towel up on the cabinet door, making him step back, and again stop breathing. She was a hazard to his health, that was for sure. Standing back up straight, she stayed close, running a finger up and down his tie and turning the water off with the other hand. “Yeah…I do.”

“Lani…” Yep, she was killing him. He either couldn’t breathe at all or was going to hyperventilate. He stepped back, wanting nothing more than to step forward, and looked out the window, happy to see something to talk about other than his wandering thoughts. “You put lights on the new tree…that’s cool!”

She turned to the window, frustrated, but knowing she was pushing buttons she just should not push. “Well, yeah…it’s our tree. I think lights on palm trees are dumb, but I did it anyway.”

“It’s still crooked.”

“Mmm-hmm…but I don’t think that’s what you’re thinking about.” She was slowly backing him into the corner of the counters and he was…letting her.

“You’re right…it’s not.” His hands slid up and down her arms as he desperately tried to avoid cupping her face in his hands and kissing her. She wasn’t making it easy.

“I can tell you what I’m thinking…if it’d be easier.”

“Lani, we really…” He took one of her loose curls and gently tucked it back behind her ear. “…what are we doing?”

“I’m thinking I’d like to break a rule.”

“I’m thinking I really hate rules anyway.”

That was all the permission either of them needed. She parted her lips as she leaned in, keeping her eyes locked in his as long as physically possible. Their breath touched one another’s face, and his hand finally made its way up to her cheek. This was finally going to hap-….

“…Okay guys! We’ve waited long enough! Time to open presents!!!!”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

Rosalie innocently pulled the two uh…friends apart from one another and dragged Nick into the living room, pushing him into an overstuffed chair. “You sit here.”

Nick looked helplessly back at Solana who got lost in the fray and tried to focus his attention on the kids. That’s what this was all about anyway. He’d eventually believe it. Sooner or later.

Ben barely caught the tale end of their interrupted moment and was thrilled…but glad that they were finally going to be able to share their secret with him. Nick would get another chance at kissing. “Okay, you have to open this first.” He held out a huge, somewhat flat package, resting the edge of it on Nick’s lap.

“Good God…this is…what the heck is it!?”

Rosalie climbed up no the arm of the chair and playfully smacked Nick’s hand. “You have to open it, silly.”

“Will you help me?”

Rosalie leaned up and grabbed at a corner, making the first tear into the paper, Nick quickly following suit. They flung the paper across the room, temporarily getting hung up on Jack’s head, and Nick looked at…

“It’s an empty picture frame…” Looking up to Solana, he questioned silently.

She looked to Liz who had another gift in her hands. “Open this next…we’ll explain.”

“Okay…” He took the smaller package and shook it, listening to the sound. Or the absence thereof.

“No shaking, Nicky. Just open it!”

“You gotta help me again.” He took off the bow and put it on Rosalie’s head, who immediately looked to her mom and posed for a picture.

They worked together to open the package again, tossing the paper aside, and flipped the lid of the box open. Nick saw the large album and stopped all motion. It was a photo album. A big one.

He looked up to the kids, still wondering what could be in the album and held it up as Rosalie pulled the box out from underneath it. “Guys…what have you done?”

“Just look through it! You’re driving me crazy!” Ben finally plopped onto the floor, almost choking himself on his shirt collar and tie. He hated these things…when was this part going to be over?

“Okay, okay…jeez…you gotta savor these things…” Nick slowly opened the album and didn’t look in it, wanting to draw it out further to drive the kids crazier. “…take your time…enjoy life.”

“NICK!!!!!” That would have been all of them. Solana included. Okay, game over.

Nick snickered and casually glanced down at the album.

And stopped breathing for the ten millionth time of the night. Only this time it wasn’t Solana’s fault…not entirely anyway.

“Oh God…you guys…” He gently touched the four pictures on the front page, looking at each person in each professional shot. “…and it’s the clothes you’re wearing tonight….when did you do this?”

Solana had found a business card of their Halloween photographer in the album of proofs and kept it, contacting him again so she could get professional pictures of the kids for Nick and for Patty for Christmas. And they were stunning. His Halloween idea had started a waterfall of ideas for pictures and moments to share. So, the album was filled with such.

“While you were touring. Keep looking…” Solana moved in closer, pulling up a corner of an end table so she could see his face, his reaction.

Nick continued to look through the album, laughing at the goofy shots and smiling proudly at the not-so-goofy ones. Professional, serious, gorgeous individual pictures of each of the kids, groups shots with them being goofy or serious, all showing off different sides of their personalities. It was amazing. As he kept flipping through the album, time went backwards in the album.

Buying the Christmas tree for the Casey’s and then the family decorating it. Solana standing on a ladder swinging a string of lights onto their palm tree in the back yard. Both families at their respective Thanksgiving dinners getting ready to dive into the turkeys Nick had sent from God-knows-where and then sitting stuffed like a bird at the end of the meal. All the Casey kids holding honor roll report cards, and then standing on their front porch steps, obviously jumping on them to test their new strength after Nick sent someone to fix them.

Rosalie putting her potty chair into the Salvation army container at the local K-Mart. “No more nighttime diaper, Nicky!”

“Alright! Good job!” Nick offered her a high five and kept looking, fighting back tears at all he’d missed, at how much they’d obviously still thought about him while he was gone. He couldn’t believe it. His gift to the families was suddenly feeling horribly meaningless and inferior. But now was not the time to think about it…this was about the kids. And he did know it. No reminder necessary.

More time passed in reverse as he flipped through the pages, giggling at the picture of Steve and Erin arguing. “Ben…”

“Sorry…they were loud and I had the camera. Sue me.”

Shaking his head, Nick went back to the album, loving the normalcy of the candid shots. Ben and Jack shooting hoops, Jack helping Patty with dinner, Amy covered in chocolate from…something. Liz licking her clean. Ick. Kitty dolled up in a dress and corsage. Nick looked up to her on this one, not sure what it was from.

“I had a Homecoming date.”

“Oh yeah? Was he good to you?”

“Yes…” She looked down and fidgeted with the hem of her sweater.

“Was he a good dancer?”

“Yes…”

“Would I approve?”

She shrugged and blushed, looking to Solana hoping she could stop the inquisition. She didn’t, of course.

“Did he kiss you???”

“Yes…”

Ben and Jack did the typical brother thing and ooh’d and aah’d, whistling and chortling. Made Nick proud. “Did you like it?”

“Yes…and I’ve kissed him again before you ask. Now turn the page…you’re embarrassing me.”

With a wink and a smile, Nick did as asked, finally letting a tear drop at the next picture. It was the whole gang standing in front of Walmart proudly displaying their individual, self-earned copies of Nick’s album. “Aw, guys…”

“Mom made us go back and get her own stinkin’ copy too…she keeps it at work.”

“Dang, you paid my mortgage this month!” He looked down again, laughing out loud seeing the pics of him, Solana and Rosalie dancing in her kitchen to Elvis. “Too bad there wasn’t anyone around to take the picture of you, Ben…”

“Eh, you’re the king, man…not me.”

“Thank ya’…thank ya’ verra much.” Okay, so it wasn’t a good Elvis impersonation, but it was a good try.

He turned the page, glad to see it about over….he wasn’t sure how much more he could take and laughed out loud again. “Oh God…our Halloween stuff.” Then he remembered. “Hey…wait a minute. I had these already at my house. How’d you…”

Ben straightened his legs out and kicked Nick’s foot. “I’ve been trying to tell you…you can’t trust me at your house, dude!”

“You took the pictures!? You little twerp!”

“If he hadn’t, I’d never have found that photographer…so hush. Now they’re in an album for you.”

Nick pointed to funny things in the pictures for Rosalie, scooting over in the chair as she slid into the seat with him, curling up under his arm. “That was fun, Nicky.”

“Yeah…it was.” He kept looking, letting Rosalie turn the pages for him and moaned at the pictures from New York City. “Oh, Lani…these came out nice.”

“Yeah, they really did…I love the ones of the church.”

“Yes…very nice. That was…”

“It was an amazing trip.”

He looked up to her, seeing the desire back in her eyes, and the sadness at the memories of the WTC site. Amazing. Yes, that it was. He nodded and went back to the album when Rosalie tapped his tummy. “Looky, Nick.”

“Ah…first day of school, guys?”

“Yup…and don’t we look fly as hell?” They looked like any other kid in school, but for all of them, that was honestly a first. Normally they looked like…well, like hell. As little as Ben cared about his appearance, he was glad he didn’t have to care anymore. He just fit in like everyone else.

“Fly? Uh, yeah. Fly. Nice threads…where’d ya get ‘em?”

“Some dude took pity on us and tossed ‘em out of his car.”

Finally, Nick reached the end and fell silent again. Somehow, someway, someone had taken pictures of the clean up at his house from the summer. Steve was hanging from the curtain rod, waiting on Nick’s return. Ben was buried under a pile of papers in the office, Nick was stepping carefully on and over his broken CD’s and cases. “Who took these?”

“Ron. He had a little disposable stuffed in his pocket I guess. I had no idea.”

“Wow…”

“I wanted them in there…so we’d never forget. So I’d never forget…”

“Yeah…I like this…” he flipped the last page over and closed the album, looking up to the 12 expectant eyes before him. “…but I still don’t get why this frame is empty. And it’s so pretty…”

Solana stood and walked over to him, reaching out her hand for him to hold. “Come with us…you’ll see.”

She led him into the family room that had, up to this point, been dark all evening. Flipping on the switch, he could see why. It had been temporarily transformed into a photo studio. Peeking around a backdrop screen, their photographer smiled and held a piece of mistletoe. “Merry Christmas, Nick.”

“What the…and I’m NOT kissin’ you, dude.”

“Good, I’m not kissing you, either. Now get over here…you get the stool.”

The kids pushed Nick into the fake studio and he plopped down onto the stool, still confused, still feeling very lost. Solana leaned over and tightened his tie, winking knowingly as he caught her eye. “What’s going on?”

“Well …this is really Ben’s idea…”

Looking up to his junior mirror image, he questioned with his eyes. “If we’re going to have a portrait, Nick…

…it’s not a family portrait until you’re in it.”