- Text Size +

Home sweet home. It never felt as homey, never felt as sweet as it did after a long time away from it. And Nick planned on soaking in every free moment he had…at home.

It had been a month since he’d stepped foot in his house and almost two months before that. Touring had been exhausting, exhilarating, encouraging. No Backstreet Boys crowd sizes, but he filled the venues fine, made a good amount of money and more importantly, made himself and his fans very happy. That was his goal, he achieved it and now…it was time to rest.

But first, he needed to unwind, so after a long, hot shower, a cold beer and a call to the local pizza joint for dinner, he headed into his studio to beat out some frustration and tension on the drums. If only he could make it in there.

What stopped him was something new at the end of his hallway. When he left before Christmas, it had been decorated with a small table and a decorative mirror on the wall. One he had to have replaced after the break in. But now…it had been replaced again.

With the family portrait.

Obviously Ben had brought it sometime during his trip, never mentioning it in any phone calls or visits. Little snot. It looked great. And it really was perfect right here. Everyone looked wonderful that night…and the picture captured it beautifully. What a good looking gang they were.

As he took one last look at the picture as a whole, and of course spent an extra moment gazing at Solana…man, she was stunning that night…he turned to head into the studio. But, he was stopped yet again. This time, by his ringing cell phone.

“’lo?”

“Nick?”

“Lani, hey…” Nice timing.

“Okay, tell me I don’t have your schedule screwed up and you’re really at home.”

“You don’t have my schedule screwed up and I’m really at home.”

“Thank you, smarty…um, I uh…” He could hear her cover the receiver and speak to someone in the background. “I’m TRYING! Now shush!” More knocks and pings went on and finally, she came back to Nick. “Sorry…Katy. Pain in my BUTT…anyway, I’m really sorry to bother you.”

Nick cracked up at the two women goofing off, wondering what they could be up to. No good, he was sure. “You never bother me, Lani…whatcha need?”

“An extra set of hands.”

“’scuse me?”

“Well, I, uh…I’m in the emergency room.”

“What!? You okay?” Giving up on the studio, he went back into his kitchen and started pacing.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m okay. I sliced the hell outta my finger and…I’ve got Rosalie here and she’s…well, it’s just not working.”

“You need me to come get her?”

“Well, either that or stay with me and Katy can take her back to her house.”

“NO! I wanna go home with Nicky!”

Yep, Rosalie had one tied on alright. So much for relaxation. “Okay, I’m on the way…you at General?” He immediately turned back down the hall to change back into jeans and find some socks…somewhere in the mess from his travel clothes. There had to be a clean pair somewhere.

“Yeah, dammit…I’m so sorry, Nick.”

“What the hell for? Just…are you sure you’re okay?” Where the hell were clean socks?

“Yeah, bleeding’s slowed down and all, but there’s a good chunk just hanging here from the pad of my finger.”

“Jesus…”

“I’m okay…just embarrassed.”

“Only you would be embarrassed.” Ah-ha! Clean socks. In the drawer. How novel. He sat on the edge of his bed and put them on, not wanting to hang up with her for fear she’d pass out from blood loss or something. He knew he was being melodramatic, but…well, he was worried.

“Yeah, yeah, give me crap while I’m down.”

“Stop it. Okay, almost ready. ER at General…just come on back and they’ll know where you are?”

“Right now I’m still waiting…if you don’t see us, just ask. I’ll tell them to expect you.”

“Okay. You sure you’re alright?”

“Nick…I’m fine. I’m bloody, pissed and wanting to kill my daughter for doing nothing more than being three. Just save her life and we’ll be fine.”

“One knight in shining…uh…blue jeans on the way.”

“One damsel in distress waiting patiently. Thanks.”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

Nick poked around the waiting area, trying to keep the heeby-jeebies at bay. He could do hospitals, he really could, but something about the ER gave him the creeps. Probably not knowing what catastrophe could be wheeled by you at any minute contributed to his discomfort. That and…the sounds, smells…just…ick.

He heard Rosalie back in a private corner, singing a Rosalie-composed song and had to chuckle. Yeah, he could see how her energy would not be real welcome in a small, confined area…especially if you were in pain.

“Hey…”

“Nicky! Take me home!” Rosalie hopped off Katy’s lap and ran to Nick, wrapping her arms around his legs and almost knocking him off balance.

“Woah…slow down, kiddo. Come here.” He bent down and scooped her up, looking into her eyes. “What’s this about you givin’ mom trouble, huh? She makes enough trouble on her own.”

“I’m bored.”

“You’re bored, huh? How do you think Mami feels?” He looked to Solana, asking just that with the concern on his face…and a soft question. “You okay?”

“Yeah…just wish they’d call me back already.”

“I’m hungry too.”

“You are? Wanna hit McDonald’s?”

“No…I want sketti.”

“Rosalie, I can’t cook spaghetti.”

“Yes, you can…Mami started.”

“Rosalie…no. Let Nick take you to McDonald’s or something…we’ll have sketti tomorrow.”

“NO! Want sketti!” She weaseled her way down from Nick and climbed up on a chair, crossing her arms in a full pout. She was very good at it.

“Why don’t I take her back…I can finish your dinner.” Katy got up and offered Nick her chair, which he politely refused. Instead he knelt down next to Solana and took hold of her injured hand and started to unwrap the gauze to investigate.

“NO! I want Nick! I want sketti!”

Solana leaned in and whispered so Miss Pout couldn’t hear. “I have Spagettio’s if you wanna just do that…she should be okay.”

Nick just nodded, too busy concentrating on not hurting her, but wanting to see how badly she’d sliced herself. When he finally reached skin, he pulled back at the dried blood and…damn, the entire pad of her finger was hanging. “Good God, Lani…you did a number on yourself. What were you doing?”

“Slicing squash…for sketti.”

“You’re supposed to slice the vegetables, not you.”

“You think? I was going for some extra protein.”

“It’s not bleeding too bad…”

“Nope, not anymore. Just gross and my whole arm’s throbbing.”

“Yeah, I bet. They said you should be going in soon when I got here…you sure you’re okay?” He started rubbing her arm, wanting to somehow soothe it all away. Looked painful. Not horrid, but…she was going to hurt for a few days.

“Nick, I’m fine…just get Ro out of here and I’ll be perfect.”

“Okay…” He didn’t want to leave, but he didn’t think she needed a conniption from Rosalie either. He kissed her finger before he bandaged it back up and held out his hand for Rosalie to take hold of. “Alright, girl…let’s go make sketti.”

“YAY! Be good for the doctor, Mami!”

“Yes, baby…I’ll be good.”

“Maybe he give you a sucker!” Rosalie stood in front of Nick and lifted up her arms. “Carry me.”

“Carry you? You can’t walk?”

“No…carry me.”

Looking into her begging brown eyes, he could hear the echo of Ben and Tony’s “meow”-ing in his head and smiled with pride. He couldn’t imagine it any other way. If this was pussy whipped, well then…whip away.

“You be good for Nick, now!”

Rosalie wrapped her arms around Nick’s neck and laid her head on his shoulders. She was going to be good…she was with Nick!

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“Okay, you sit here and we’ll make sketti.” Nick plopped Rosalie on the counter and started opening cabinets looking for the canned foods. Glasses. Plates. Spices. Baking dishes…where in the hell…?

“What you doing? It’s all out over there.”

“Ah, well we’re going to make Nick’s sketti.” Finally finding the right cabinet, he pulled out a can of Spagettio’s and went to the can opener. A meal fit for a…knight in shining blue jeans. And his trusty maiden.

“No, Nicky. I want REAL sketti. Not this. This for lunch.”

“Rosalie, hon…I don’t cook.”

“Yes you do. You cook good boogers.”

“Boog-…oh, hamburgers…yeah, I cook good hamburgers. Spaghetti is a bit more complicated.” He opened the can and started searching for a pan. There was no way in hell he was making anything else.

“You can do it. Let me down.” She scooted to the edge of the counter and held her hands up for him to take hold of her.

“Why?”

“Please???”

Damned brown eyes. He gave up his search for a pan and got her off of the counter. “What are you doing?”

“We going to cook sketti. Veggies are in the frig.”

“She took the time to put the stuff away?”

“Yeah, Mami’s very clean…except the cloth over there…yuck.”

Nick looked to where Rosalie’s eyes had wondered and grimaced. Yuck was right. Solana had obviously done a heavy amount of bleeding before they took off for the ER. Damn…

“Okay, but Ro, hon… I mean it. I cannot cook.”

“Yes you can. She have it aaallll out.” Rosalie continued with her mission, pulling a chair from the table to the stove. Before climbing up, she got the vegetables out of the refrigerator while Nick just stood and watched her work. “Okay…we just need ‘ronis and…meat.”

“Rosalie…I cannot do this.” She had no clue. And he was beginning to see that the word that had been used on him as a small child…precocious…wasn’t as much of a compliment as he used to think it had been. Precocious meant “brat with dazzling eyes”, at least with this little one.

“I want sketti, Nicky. We make sketti.”

Suddenly, Nick had an idea. “Wait! Wait, wait, wait. Stop the presses.”

“What? Stop what presses? What’s a press?”

Nick chuckled and lifted her back to the counter top by the stove. “Jack cooks. Maybe he can help. We’ll make the sketti…” He peeked into the refrigerator and smiled. Score. Bag salad. “…toss up a salad…” Hoping for luck in the freezer he smiled again. “…and heat up some garlic bread. Have a nice dinner here waiting for Mami and Katy when they get back.”

“Jack can cook?”

“Yep…let’s call Jack.”

******~~~~~~******~~~~~~

“I can get the door, Katy…” Solana reached around her body and clumsily pulled the passenger door closed with her left hand. Well, she tried anyway. Hearing it only partially latch, she looked up to Katy who was still standing outside of the car and offered up a cheesy grin. She hated being dependant on someone. Absolutely hated it.

Solana’s stubbornness was nothing new. The harder something was to do, the more convinced Solana was she could do it. Katy had learned to tolerate it quietly. Because the most frustrating part of Solana’s stubbornness? It always paid off. Every stinkin’ time.

Shaking her head, Katy pushed the door closed with her hip and got into the car, scolding Solana with her eyes. “You’re a lousy patient, you know that?” Making sure Solana’s belt was buckled tight, she started the car.

“I never wanted to be a patient, so yeah…I’m lousy at it. This hurts, dammit.”

“Well, you could have accepted the pain pills the doctor gave you.”

“No, I don’t wanna be loopy. I still have to deal with Rosalie tonight.” Solana leaned her head back and closed her eyes. Maybe if she thought about something else her finger would quit throbbing.

Or maybe not.

Stopping at the traffic light outside of the hospital, Katy snapped her fingers in Solana’s face. “Hello!? I’m here…you can ask for help. In fact, you don’t even have to ask. I’m helping.”

“I’m fine. You and Nick have done enough already.”

“Yeah…and Nick! You’re off duty tonight. We’ll take care of everything.”

“No…Katy…please. I can’t ask any more of either of you.”

“Solana…what is the deal, girl? We’re your friends…or whatever. What is Nick anyway? Besides really hot.”

Solana rolled her head over to glare at her friend. “If you think he’s so hot, why don’t you take him?”

“Because I think he has his sights on someone I care about…I don’t play that way.”

“Mmm…well, it’s mutual. Hands off.”

“So, are you two an item or not?”

“No. We can’t, Katy. Ben is my client. For a few more months anyway.”

“Ben’s leaving you?”

“Well, as a client, yes. Just got word that in light of how well the first 3 quarters of their time has gone, he will be legally released from the program in March…when their year is up.”

“That’s wonderful, Lani! He’s come a long way.”

“Yep…they both have. We all have.”

“So, what are you waiting for?”

“I just told you, Kate…unethical. No.”

“Bullshit.”

“What!? What’s bullshit about respecting my job?”

“You’re using that as an excuse…and you know it…this has to do with your heart. And your daughter.”

“I hate you.”

“You love me.”

Solana used her one healthy hand and flipped off her friend, blowing a kiss behind the gesture.

“Don’t abuse your good hand…it’ll fall off.”

“Well then I’m saving myself some grief. I can’t slice it off if it falls off on its own.”

“You’re a pill…and your daughter is probably having the time of her life with him right now.”

“Probably…but, Katy. I can’t do this just because he’s good with kids.”

“No, you can’t…he has to be good with you…Rosalie will follow because of that.”

“Exactly. And that’s what I don’t know…don’t trust.”

“Did you SEE the way he looks at you? I’d die for that!”

Solana closed her eyes and smiled, remembering the look of total concern covering his face and his whole demeanor…how gently he unwrapped her finger to investigate…how he let his lips gently linger on it before he put the wrappings back. He made her feel like his queen.

“I’m so afraid, Katy.”

“I know, hon…I know, but Lani…he adores you and yes, he adores Rosalie. She adores him. I don’t see how it could be a bad thing.”

“Rosalie is still just a fun play thing though…he has no idea of the responsibility involved.”

“Maybe he’s getting a taste of that tonight.”

“Yeah…maybe. God, now I’m scared to go home.”

Miraculous timing seemed to be the theme of Solana’s day…just as she finished her sentence, Katy turned down her street. “Well, tough, cuz you’re not spending the night with me.”

“You’re a real friend.”

“You know it…” Pulling into the driveway, Katy took one more look at Solana. “Well…let’s see how they did, huh?”

Solana nodded and awkwardly undid her seat belt and door with her left hand. She had no idea why, but suddenly she felt like whatever she found inside would give her the answers she’d been seeking about Nick, about Rosalie, and about how they all fit together.

Or didn’t.