- Text Size +

“Are you ready?”

“Yeah…have you seen my other shoe?” Nick got down on all fours by his bed and looked underneath it. No shoe.

“Uh, no…didn’t you put it inside the door?”

“Do I ever put them the same place twice?”

“No…cuz you suck…I’m gonna be late for practice.”

“You are not…” Nick peeked into his closet and shook his head. One shoe in the bedroom, one in the closet. He was a mess. “Got it. And we have to make a stop first, anyway.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah…I made you a promise and I’m about to keep it.”

“About…???”

“Miss Romero.”

Ben looked to Nick and seeing the smirk on his face, remembered the deal made last summer. “Oh my god…it’s finally time, isn’t it?”

“Yep. And just like I promised, you’ll be the first to know.”

“Oh cool…she’s gonna freak.”

“I hope that’s a good thing cuz I’m about to pass out.”

“Oh please…you two have been dying for this for months. She’s probably waiting for you.”

“I hope so…or I’m gonna feel like a fool.”

Ben had to chuckle. Nick was a wreck. He said nothing as they drove to her house. Absolutely nothing. Turning into her drive, Nick stopped the car and didn’t move. He couldn’t. His legs felt like noodles.

“Nick? You gettin’ out?”

“I’m gonna try.”

“Come on…you can do this.” And so the tables had turned. Or had they? It had always been about mutual encouragement, mutual respect, mutual child-like heart and mutual concern. Today, it was Ben’s turn to encourage. Big little man. Little big man. Yes, for these two, it worked.

“Mmm…we’ll see.” Reluctantly, Nick opened his door and tested the legs. They worked. One obstacle beat. Okay, maybe he could do this. He couldn’t figure out why he was so nervous…but there it was. Just in case he’d chicken out, he let Ben ring the bell.

Oh sure. She had to look amazing today. Of course, when didn’t she? Slopped out in jeans and a t-shirt or totally decked out in a velvet party dress…she took Nick’s breath away no matter what. Today changed none of that.

“Well, hello! What brings you boys here?”

Solana closed the door behind Nick and Ben as they entered, taking quick note of Nick’s odd behavior…he was almost…nervous? Whatever for?

“Yeah, um, well. I’m kind of following through on a promise I made to Ben.” Big, nervous grin. He was going to die. Right here in her foyer.

“I see…” Yes. He was nervous. “Can I get you anything to drink?”

“No, we’re fine.”

“Well, come in for god’s sake…what’s gotten into you, Nick?”

“Oh, yeah…um, well you see…” He ran a hand through his hair in exasperation, but never moved his feet further into the house, preferring the comfort of having the door only one step away. Why was he nervous? This was ridiculous. Maybe it was Ben’s presence. Maybe it was because this really mattered. Either way, he hated this.

Ben was enjoying it all too much, however, and made his way to the over stuffed chair where he crawled on backwards and hiked up on his knees for a good view. Nick was nervous…whodathunk it?

Suddenly, the timing, Nick’s nerves, Ben’s odd enthusiasm. It all dawned on Solana. And she decided to play along…although, this was no game now, was it?

“All I see is you standing in my foyer, Nick…what can I do for you?” Flirtatiously, she propped herself against the back of the chair Ben was in, crossing her arms in front of her, showing interest only in her eyes. It was all she needed to do. Nick was completely flustered.

“Well, see…Ben and I, well, we celebrated our, uh…one year…” He gulped. Why the hell was he feeling like…like BEN asking a girl on a date? Dammit, he was Nick Carter. He could do this…

“Yeah…did you do anything special?” Lifting up from the chair, she lowered her crossed arms and moved slowly…painfully slowly to the bumbling blonde in her foyer.

“Huh? Oh yeah…we dropped off our reports and did stupid guy stuff…you know.” Good god…small talk now? Could this possibly be any more nerve wracking?

“Guy stuff? How fun.” She continued her slow sashay towards Nick, looking back at Ben and giving him a wink. The twit laughed out loud. He was useless.

“Yep, and so, um…since we’re no longer under, uh…you know…since…um…” This was nuts. He couldn’t complete a sentence if his life depended on it.

“Yes, Nick? Since you’re no longer…” Closer and closer she walked, never taking her eyes out of his…or at least trying. He hadn’t really looked at her since he got there…his eyes kept shifting away.

“…no longer under court order or anything, well…um…”

Taking pity on him, and honestly, not wanting to wait one more moment, Solana decided to give him a reprieve. “You’re having problems, Nick…can I help you?”

“Huh?” He finally looked at her and almost lost his balance. She was more beautiful now than he’d ever seen her before. Her eyes glistened with a desire that up until now he’d never seen…and he figured he’d seen it all. It was official. He was going to die right there.

As she finally approached him, she slowly brought her hand up to her ponytail and slid the holder out, shaking her full brown mane as it slid below her shoulders.

“I said, ‘Can I help you’, Nick?”

Neeck. Jesus… “Oh…um, yeah…maybe you’d better.”

She took the final step into Nick’s personal space and softly laid her hand on his chest, bringing her eyes up to his and licking her lips. “Béseme, Nick.”

“Lani...” With not another word, another thought, another concern for who was watching he did just as she asked.

Slowly. Softly. Tenderly. Just with the softness of their lips touching, he brought his hands up to cup her face, feel the silkiness of her hair fall back as she leaned in closer and gave in more. One year. 365 days. Too many close calls. Too much pent up desire. This desire had stood the test of time and neither wanted it to end.

But he pulled back, resting his forehead on hers, looking deep in her eyes and smiling the most genuine smile he’d felt in years. With a soft brush of her cheek with his knuckles, he went back for more. Wanting more, needing more, knowing that this year-long wait was one of the smartest things he’d ever done.

This time, she opened her mouth slightly, feeling his tongue gently probe and moaned as his hands caressed her hair and back. Yes, this had been worth the wait. This was going to be hard to stop right here.

A kiss. Just a kiss. But it was one that said things they’d wanted to say for a year, so the intimacy shared was…well, for Ben…it was too much.

Silently getting up, he snuck beside the couple and quietly made his way outside to wait on the porch. Hopefully, they’d remember he was there and wouldn’t be waiting too long. He figured he’d be late for basketball practice…and didn’t give a damn. This needed to happen. He just didn’t need to watch.

Hearing the door close behind them, Nick finally pulled back, cupping her face in his hands again, loving the softness of her caramel skin under his thumbs. “Lani…”

Smiling bashfully, she looked down, amazed she’d allow herself to let go like that. It had been so long. Hell, had she ever felt like this before? Not hardly. “I think we embarrassed him.”

“Yeah, probably.”

“He’ll be okay…”

Kissing her again, he couldn’t stop kissing, pulling back and looking, then going back to kiss her again. It was as though he couldn’t believe it was finally happening. He was finally tasting her, feeling her, fulfilling all the questions he’d had about her in this one brief moment.

But, responsibility crept in and Solana pulled back, walking backwards to hopefully keep Nick…keep herself at bay. They couldn’t go any further. Not now. No way. But, she couldn’t stop kissing him. A word. “Nick.” A kiss. A word. “Wait.” A kiss. The word. “Ben. Please.”

He followed her backwards movements, sneaking kisses with each step, in between every few words. He couldn’t stop tasting her. “I know, but…tomorrow?” Kiss. “Can I pick you up tomorrow?” Kiss. “No kids.” Slow, deep kiss. “No teens.” Longer, fuller, more passionate kiss. “No…nothing stopping us anymore?”

“Yes, Nick.” She quickly snuck behind the chair Ben had been on, finally putting a barrier between them. Lifting her arm, she put her hair back into its ponytail, thus closing off the intimacy of the moment…or so she hoped. “Yes, tomorrow. I’ll be ready.” And then reality hit. “Shit…I need a sitter.”

“Wait right there. Don’t move.”

Nick made his way to the front door in one step, or so it seemed, and peeked outside. “Psst. Ben.”

“Hmm?”

“What do you have going tomorrow night?”

“Uh…nothin’, why?”

“You’re babysitting Rosalie.”

“I am, huh? How much?”

“How much!? I think you still owe me money, jack ass.”

“Aw man! Yeah, yeah, okay…for you I’ll watch Rosalie.”

“Thanks…and I’ll pay ya’ twice her fee if that kid’s asleep when we get back.”

“Deal, man. Total deal. Now go smooch some more…I’ll just sit out here and be bored. Don’t worry about me.”

“Shaddup, putz. I’ll be out in a minute.” Closing the door, he went back to Lani, sliding an arm around her waist and pulling her in for another kiss. “We’re all set.”

“Good, I’ll be ready.”

“Mmm…so will I.” They kissed their way back to the door, her pushing him away and then pulling him back in for more. Finally, it was time to go…or he’d never leave. He reluctantly opened the door and stepped out. Before leaving the porch, he turned back and blew her one more kiss, feeling lighter, more satisfied, more hopeful than he had in a good long time. If not ever.

And then, he finally said a word that had meant nothing but frustration and aggravation. But now…it meant promise.

“Mañana, Lani.”

“Sí, Nick. Mañana.”