- Text Size +

“Hey, Barry…nice to see you, man.”

“Nick! Hi! Can’t believe we’ve missed each other so far. How’s it goin’ with Ben?”

The older man offered a chair to the younger, taking a seat next to him in the small lounge area of the community center. It was as rundown and beat-up as the rest of the town. Nick wondered how they even managed to pay their staff.

“That’s why I’m here…”

“Oh…not well?”

“Well, not bad, but…” Nick ran a hand through his hair and leaned forward, thankful to be able to spring this on Barry first. They knew each other from some previous charity events Nick had participated in and he knew he’d not get judgment from him…or as quick of judgment as he’d get from Solana anyway. She’d already decided he was a loser. “…he’s already fessed something to me that I’m not sure what to do with.”

“Like?”

“He’s been molested, Barry…by some dude.”

“Oh shit…did he say when it happened?”

“No. I didn’t ask a thing. He found out I’m in Backstreet and was askin’ if we were all gay…kinda being a jerk about it…like most guys his age are.”

“Not popular with the pre-pube male crowd, huh?”

“Eh, some, but not the ‘tough guys’. Hell, most of our guy fans are gay anyway, so…”

“Poor thing.”

Nick shrugged it off and sat back, sliding his ball cap on his head, almost as a shield. “They’re fans…they buy our stuff…I don’t care.” Much. Truth was, it did make him uncomfortable.

“Okay, so he asked if you were gay.”

“Right. And he got real nervous and quiet…anyway, it finally came out that some dude messed with him. I really don’t know any more than that, but I thought it was something you guys should know.”

“Yep. We need that info. You were smart not to pry with him though. You have no idea what ground you covered just in him telling you…this is gonna work out great.”

“Then why do I feel like I’m failing so bad at it?”

“I dunno…what makes you think you’re failing?”

“He’s just so…so…”

“Distant?”

“Yeah, and he won’t crack a smile unless I really catch him off guard. He eats like…my god, the kid eats so much. Doesn’t he eat at home?”

“Probably not, no. You very well could be providing his only meal for the week.”

“I guess 15 million hotdogs at a Devil Rays game isn’t the best idea then, huh?”

“Better than nothing…”

“True. We’ll hit a nicer restaurant next time though. If I cook, he’ll never eat again. He’ll be dead.”

“Not good…don’t kill our kids, Nick. The judge won’t look favorably on that.”

“I think I’d be more afraid of Solana than a judge…she’s vicious!”

“Solana? You can’t let her intimidate you, man…she’s a pussy cat.”

“Solana? A pussy cat? I don’t think we’re talkin’ about the same woman. She hates me!”

“You pullin’ cocky celebrity shit on her?”

“No. Yes. Hell, probably…I was pretty cocky the first time I was here…I was pissed.”

“It’ll take awhile for her to forget it. She’s very protective of these kids. No one else cares about them, so she takes it all to heart.”

“I hadn’t done anything to threaten him though!”

“Yeah, you did. You had an attitude…you can’t have that with these kids. They’ll eat you alive.”

“Funny, you’re the second person to say that to me.”

“Maybe you look too edible. Gotta toughen up a bit, Nick. Don’t get cocky…just get confident.”

“Ha. Right. Confident in what? That I can sing? That means shit to Ben.”

“In who you are, Nick. Otherwise, you’re dead meat.”

“Great…start the grill. I feel a barbeque comin’.”

******~~~~~~*******~~~~~~

Nick bent over and picked up the red kick ball that had rolled to his feet. Looking around to find the owner, he smiled, seeing Ben’s little sister waiting for it to be tossed back to her.

“Hey! Aren’t you Ben’s new friend?”

“Yep…and you’re…” He tucked the ball under his arm, trying to come up with her name. He sucked at that sometimes, but this time, he really wanted to remember.

“I’m waiting for my ball.”

“Oh yeah…sorry.” He bounced it over to her, still frustrated he couldn’t come up with her…. “Liz! You’re Liz!”

She stopped mid run back to her playmates and turned back to Nick. “You remembered my name?”

“Took me a minute…sorry. Whatcha playin’?”

Her blue eyes shone in the sun, amazed anyone would remember her name that wasn’t a teacher or a social worker. “Four square. Wanna come?”

“I’ll come watch anyway.”

She ran back to him, taking hold of his hand and pulling him around a corner to a make shift four square design on the beat-up black pavement. “Nick, this is Kellie and Jill…and you know my stupid brother, Jack.”

Damn, she was polite for such a little thing. Waving shyly at the kids, he had to smirk. Obviously Jill knew who he was. But she was calm, just a bit…jittery all of a sudden. “So what are you and Jack doing here today? Don’t you normally head home after school?”

“Yeah but uh…Mom’s not home so they sent us here.” Liz bounced the ball across the square to her friend and their game began.

“She take the baby somewhere?” For some reason Nick had a bad feeling about this. He didn’t know why…”stay-at-home mom” just meant they didn’t work…not that they stayed at home all day, but for some reason there was an ominous tension around the situation.

“Nope. Ben’s got Amy at home. Kitty’s missing too.”

“Missing?”

Jack stopped the ball and glared at Nick. “You know, for someone who only shows up to take Ben to ball games so he can avoid jail, you sure have a lot of questions.”

Ouch. Step back, Nick. This kid looks sweet, but bites hard. Getting eaten alive was beginning to make sense. “I’m sorry you see it that way, Jack…I’m just concerned is all.”

“I doubt it.” Serving the ball up again, their game continued, until Jill missed, too busy staring at Nick to see it coming her way.

Nick retrieved it and gently bopped Jill on the head before returning it to her. “Gotta keep your eye on the ball…” With a wink, he took his place back on the sidelines of the square wondering if he should just ignore the stirring in his gut or continue to pry. Prying sounded good. “How long will you guys be here?”

“’Til they find Mom or Kitty, probably. I dunno.” Grabbing the ball from play again, much to the noisy chagrin of the girls, Jack stuffed it under his arm and glared at Nick. “Why do you care so damned much, huh?”

“I have no idea, Jack…just seems a bit odd that a twelve year old is in charge of a baby…I’m just trying to help.”

“Well, don’t okay? We managed fine before you showed up. We’re doing fine now.”

“Jack…leave him alone and serve the stupid ball! God, you can be so mean.”

Waving ‘goodbye’ to the girls, Nick decided a little more investigation was in order. Why Barry hadn’t mentioned this while they were talking, he didn’t know. It very well could be because Nick’s mind was taking this simple situation to a place it didn’t need to be. But yet, he felt so uneasy about it. He had no plans for the rest of the day. Might as well fill it with the Casey family drama.

Not finding Barry in his office, he took the plunge and knocked on Solana’s door.

“Who is it?”

“Nick…I’ve got a question.”

“Come on in.”

Wonderful. She sounded irritated. Or was that how she always sounded? He hadn’t decided yet. Opening the door and just peeking in, he was surprised to see her with a small child on her lap, reading a story.

“Oh, I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“Go on outside now, Rosalie…I need to talk to Mr. Carter.” With a quick kiss on the head from Solana, the small child smiled up to Nick and ran past, making her way outside with the other children. “What can I do for you, Nick? I didn’t forget an appointment did I?”

“Nope…I’m really sorry…I could have found Barry.”

“He’s gone for the day. And come on in…take a seat. She should be outside…just afraid of the bigger kids.”

Closing the door behind him, he sat in the chair across from her desk, surprised at how comfortable he felt there all of a sudden. Was it Solana, or him, or just that he didn’t feel like such an outcast after his talk with Barry? Whatever it was, he was grateful, but still cautious. “Ah…well, this is probably none of my business, but um…is everything okay at the Casey’s today?”

“No. Not at all…why do you ask?”

“Well, I saw the two middle kids out there playing. Said Mom and Kitty are missing?”

“Yep. Mom does this all the time. Kitty does too, but never at the same time. Ben came home to an empty house and was smart enough to call so we could get Jack and Liz from school.”

“He’s okay with the baby?”

Running a hand through her hair and leaning back, exasperated at the lack of help she could offer a family, she sighed. “No, probably not. We really didn’t have any alternative though. We don’t have the facilities for a baby and he’s done it enough…we just have to hope…”

“Do you want me to take the other two home and give him a hand ‘til Mom shows up?”

“You can take care of a baby?”

“Um…probably not, but I can be an adult and play with the others…be around if Ben needs something…I dunno.” Looking down, Nick suddenly felt silly for stepping in. This twelve year old could probably chase circles around him in child care abilities. But…Ben was just a kid himself. He shouldn’t be there alone, should he? Not and being responsible for a baby too.

“You can’t be their savior, Nick…major rule to mentoring.”

“I’m not trying to be their savior, Solana…I just wanna help.”

“Why?”

“Why!? Why the hell not!? If I’m gonna earn his trust, I guess I just…”

“You want to save the day. It’s not a good idea, Nick. Although I appreciate your concern.”

“I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal.”

“Ben won’t trust it as a simple desire to help for one. He’ll think you have ulterior motives.”

“But I don’t.”

“No? In his mind, you’ll be trying to be the hero…it’ll come off that you think your presence will make his life better.”

“This is a bad thing?”

“Yes, Nick, it is. He wants to feel sufficient on his own. He doesn’t want some rich rock star coming in and making things smoother with the flick of a wand.”

“He’s obviously not seen me change diapers.”

She couldn’t help but laugh at that. The image of this guy knuckle deep in poop and flailing baby legs was comical to say the least. “I still don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“So, instead of having an adult around, making sure the family is safe, you’d rather keep me away and possibly have something happen that Ben can’t handle?”

“We have no idea how long his mom will be gone. She sometimes disappears for more than a day.”

“Where the hell does she go?”

“A boyfriend’s house. Parties. Gets stoned. Gets clean and comes home to start the cycle all over again.”

“And Kitty?”

“Running like mad. Usually safe and sound at a friend’s house…or a boys house.”

“Damn.”

“Yep. Nick, this is very sweet…I’ll even admit it, but I don’t think you’re going to do much good here. It’s just the way it is. Our hands are tied.”

“Bullshit. No one’s hands are tied if there’s someone wanting to help. How ‘bout if I take Jack and Liz to the house, pick up Ben and Amy and just take them somewhere for dinner? Maybe by then Kitty will show up and they’ll all have a good meal and will have been safe for the evening anyway.”

“You’re not going to give up on this, are you?”

“Uh…no…I don’t think I am. In fact…why don’t you come along with us?”

“I can’t, but thank you.”

“No?”

“No. I have my own daughter to take care of.”

Nick did the natural thing and glanced down at her left hand. He honestly hadn’t even considered looking before.

“No ring…don’t bother looking. He left when he found out I was pregnant. Rosalie and I have been on our own from the beginning.”

“Rosalie? Oh…that was your daughter!?”

“Yep…and we have a muppet dinner engagement tonight. Sorry.”

“Oh, okay…maybe next time then. I really wanna do this, unless you flat out tell me not to.”

She looked up at him, sighing at his innocent desire to help. How could she squelch this? He had come in just over a week ago harder than a convict and now he was willing to give up his whole afternoon and evening for this family he barely knew. Maybe it was a bit of the savior complex, but for the life of her, she couldn’t bring herself to tell him, ‘no.’

“Okay, Nick. Go ahead. But, please. Be prepared for rejection. If not tonight, later. This really could backfire.”

“I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks.” Nick rose to leave and turned back to the dark beauty watching his every move. “Oh, and tell Kermit I said ‘hello’.