- Text Size +

The couple snuggled in and rested comfortably in one another’s arms, periodically nodding off to sleep and then waking to kiss. To touch. To make sure this was really happening.

And it was. But as reality tended to be sometimes, it also meant the dreams within had to end. At least for a time. Glancing over to the clock and seeing that it was closer to dawn than she imagined, Solana nudged Nick awake, kissing him softly on the shoulder.

“Mmm?”

“Nick…it’s late…early…” She sighed and threw herself back on her pillow. “I hate this…”

“Ah, yeah…” He stretched out and rubbed his eyes, pulling her into his body again loving how her warmth immediately radiated through him. “I’d better go, huh?”

“Yeah…I’m sorry.”

“Lani, don’t be. I understand.” He sat up with her, touching her face with his fingers, still seeing regret in her eyes. Not regret for their togetherness, but for the impending separation. He felt it too, but did see why he had to go. At least for now…until…well, until it was right for Rosalie to get more of an explanation.

Kissing her gently, he pulled away and started looking for his clothes, blowing out candles along the way. They had burned to a quick and some were already out, killing the soft glow that had been there, but allowing the moonlight of the evening shine through the slits in her window blinds.

“Can you see okay?”

“Yeah, I’m good.” He hiked on his boxers and leaned over for another kiss. This could work. Clothes, kiss, clothes, kiss. If he worked it right, morning might beat him.

As his head popped through the neck of his shirt, Solana sat up, letting the sheets fall seductively off of her chest. Not nice if she really wanted him to go. Not nice at all. Nick lifted the hem of the sheet and covered her, kissing her softly on the lips. “Go to sleep now.”

She laid back down, snuggling into the bed, instantly feeling how cold it was without him there. Some day…he’d stay. “Drive safe…”

“Yep…tomorrow?” He smiled at the word. It was such a good one now.

“Yes, please…tomorrow.”

“¿Todos los mañana?”

She rolled onto her back to look up to him again, touching his face, seeing the glow in his eyes break through the dark of the room, knowing that yes, this was all going to work out just fine. “Sí, Nick. All the tomorrows. They’re ours.”

With one more kiss, he left her bedside, quietly closing the door and sneaking a peek to watch Rosalie peacefully sleeping. Two sleeping beauties. For all of his tomorrows.

He had thought his future looked bright. But now?

Now, he knew it.