- Text Size +

Rosalie stuck close to Nick’s side as she showed Neron her nativity and explained how she put new creatures and characters out as she counted the days to Christmas. He listened with interest and innocence, knowing that Nick was watching every move he made. Every twitch of his eyes. Every turn of his lips. For whatever reason, he submitted to the rule in the house that Neron’s identity would remain…at least for now…a secret.

Her words were mumbled, her explanations more childish than usual for her typically precocious nature. She was nervous and uncomfortable and really just wanted to get back to the Christmas tree, the presents and the cookies.

“Did you go to mass last night, Rosalinda?”

“It’s ‘Rosalie’, please. And, no. We stayed home.” Done with this conversation, she turned in Nick’s protective embrace and whispered in his ear. “I want him to leave now.”

Nick stood, holding her tight, but reached out a hand, showing him the door. “Neron…we’re getting ready for some family time. You need to go.”

“Family time, huh? Yeah…okay.”

With a warning glare to hopefully keep Neron from opening his mouth any further, Nick walked out and playfully called to his brother. “Hey, Aaron? Did Santa drop off gifts at my house for this little twerp?”

“Yeah, I think so…he’s gonna come take ‘em back if we don’t open ‘em up soon, though.”

“Eek!” Rosalie slid down from Nick’s arms to Aaron, pulling his hand as she guided him into the family room. The presents. The place she wanted to be with all of this yuckiness gone. “Come ON…we hasta open presents!! Bye, Neron!”

Lani hung up her apron again, this time hopefully for good, and quickly made her way to the front door to hold it open. “Yes, bye Neron. Feliz Navidad.”

“Can I have a word with you privately?”

“No. You can leave. And not return unless invited.”

“Which will be when? She’s my daughter, Lani.”

“Nice of you to finally recognize that. Now, it’s Christmas and you have intruded enough. You need to go.” She had somehow walked him to the door way and tried to close the door on him hoping to maybe catch a finger in the hinge or something. Anything.

His hand caught the door and stopped it, bringing Nick in even closer. “I have to ask you one question tho’, Lani…”

“What is it, Neron?” She jerked the door fully open and pulled away from Nick’s touch. She felt strong enough for the first time since this bastard walked through her door.

“Why didn’t you tell her that nativity was from me?”

“You know…you gave up your right to question how I raise her the moment you walked out the door.”

Neron’s face softened, but he fooled no one. He lifted his hand and traced her cheek with his knuckle, chuckling when she pulled away as though he carried some disease. “I’m ready to be her father now.”

“You don’t know what that means, Neron. She doesn’t need you. We don’t need you.”

“She will find out who her father is.”

“When I decide it’s time.”

Neron’s face hardened again, his eyes darkened to a coal black and his hand that had just tenderly touched Lani’s face, clenched into a fist. And then a finger extended from the fist into an accusing point. “You gave up your right to decide her parentage when you spread your legs for me.”

Nick bolted to the door but stopped as soon as he saw her hand smack up against Neron’s face. The door slammed and Lani slammed up against Nick’s chest, grabbing onto his shirt, his neck, his hair, anything she could get a hold of. Her strength was gone.

He held her close, praying that Aaron would keep Rosalie occupied in the other room until Lani could calm down. Until he could calm down. Of course, he wasn’t sure how soon that would happen. Neron had them both by the balls.

He was Rosalie’s father and he could prove it if need be.

And Nick? Where did he really factor into all of this? Into the lives of these women who he loved more than anything in this world?

“He won’t win, Nick…he won’t.”

Nick nodded and kissed the top of Lani’s head, not saying a word. How could she be so sure? The truth would come out. Rosalie deserved it after all.

And the truth was…

…Nick was nobody.

Not even a super hero.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

For Rosalie, they tried. For Rosalie, they somewhat succeeded. Ben and Jack arrived later in the day and eased some of the tension simply by their naiveté of what had gone down. Patty had declared a moratorium on all things Darren related for the day, so Ben was relaxed and Jack was just…Jack.

“Wanna see the new Yu Gi Oh cards I got, Nick?”

His stack was at least four inches thick. And knowing Jack, there’d be a story to go with every single one of them. “What happened to the Bionicles?” It somehow seemed safer.

“Oh, they’re still at home. I got the rest of the Rahkshi and you got me that awesome Taku Nuva…I shoulda brought that, man. It’s so cool! It’s got landing gear and everything.”

“So how’d you get all those cards?”

“My stocking!” Jack smiled proudly. “I told Mom I’d rather have cards than candy…”

“Yeah, so he’s stealing my candy…kid’s a stinkin’ genius.”

“And don’t you forget it.”

And so the day went. Into night. Jovial. Comfortable. Nothing that resembled the inner turmoil swimming in the adult’s minds. Nick filled Aaron and Ben in on the details as they played basketball while Rosalie bathed for bedtime.

“What’s Lani gonna do?” Ben heard a faint knock from the living room window and looked up to see a topless Rosalie dancing and flirting from inside the house. “Nick, your woman is streaking again.”

“What?” Nick shot the ball and missed, cracking up as the four year old did a near perfect salsa. He waved and she disappeared, giving Nick permission to talk again. He hated this. It was like they were lying to the child, but he surely felt like he was keeping secrets from her. Un-enjoyable secrets at that; none of this fun Santa stuff he’d been hiding for the past month. “Well, first, I think Lani’s gonna put clothes on her.”

“Seriously, dude. I mean…I don’t even know my dad. I don’t think I want to now. But she’s still young…”

“I don’t think she has much of a choice. He’s just a court order away from visitation…” Nick tossed the ball to his brother, wishing he’d never brought this up. Or did Ben? Either way, he was done thinking about it. Why couldn’t anything just move along smoothly?

“Will they give it to him since he walked?” Ben rebounded Aaron’s shot and stopped the game, dribbling as they talked.

“No idea. And hell, we don’t even know if he’s all mouth or what. But if he’s gonna be hanging around…I think Lani has to tell her.”

“Why? She doesn’t ask, does she?”

“If your dad was hanging around, wouldn’t you wanna know?” Nick motioned for the ball and he stood firm in his spot, making an excellent shot and letting his brother retrieve it.

“Yeah, probably. So I could kick him in the nuts.”

“And see…I really don’t think Lani wants her to hate him.”

“She’s too forgiving. Just like you.” Now Nick understood why Aaron wasn’t saying much. He couldn’t move out of his own situation enough. Everything led back to his own heartache. Thing was, Aaron had a point. Had Nick stood up to his folks years before, Aaron probably wouldn’t be going through the shit he was now. Was that the answer for Neron? For Darren? For all of their collective griefs?

Nick took a seat against the garage, hoping the boys would keep playing. “Probably, Aaron, but this one is none of my business.” Aaron shrugged and took another shot, already tired of the whole topic. Parents sucked. “Have you called Dad today?”

“No. Not plannin’ on it. He knows how to reach me.”

“Aaron.”

“Don’t. You just deal with the shit here. I’ll deal with my own.”

“Nicky! I’m ready for bed!!” Rosalie hopped outside, clad in her brand new Dora pajamas and still damp hair. “And Ben’s mom called. She wants them to go home now.”

“I’ll take him.”

“You just wanna see Kitty again.” Nick held his hand out for Rosalie to help him up and popped his brother in the behind as he walked by.

“Yes, yes I do. She got rid of that boyfriend yet?”

“I don’t think so, dude. She came home with a bracelet last night.”

“Pth.”

“I’ll be your girlfriend, Aaron.” Rosalie rested her wet head on Aaron’s hip and he couldn’t help but smile. He kind of understood why Neron was starting to be a dick about her…she was a keeper. The kind you fight for.

“Okay, Ro.” He scooped her up held her tight, squeezing out all of his frustrations at his life and squelching a few tensions of the day while he was at it. “We’d better go ask your mom for permission though, huh?”

“Eh, she’ll let me. She likes your brother.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Aaron trudged home, no closer to any success with Kitty than he’d had at Thanksgiving, and no more relaxed than he’d been when he arrived at Tampa airport only a few days prior. It wasn’t for lack of trying on anyone’s part. The situation at home sucked and he saw no end in sight. He did however, have some hope in mind with a promised visit from Ben for spring break. That was only a couple of months away…they would have a blast.

For everyone else, life went on as normal. As normal as it could anyway. Basketball season was in full swing and Ben was kept busy and away from home quite often…with no complaints. With El Dia de Reyes over, Lani and Rosalie were able to put Christmas away properly.

But alone.

“I miss Nick, Mamí. How many more sleeps?”

“Uh, what day is it?”

“Wednesday. He say he be home Saturday?”

“Yep, so how many sleeps is that?”

“Wednesday, Thursday and Friday…three more.” She put a blue bulb into its box and sighed. “I thought he say he work in Florida now.”

Lani stopped tittering around getting things put away and pulled the ottoman over to her daughter so they could talk. Ro’s accent would thicken and her English would get lazy the more tired or upset she was. For Lani, it happened when she got angry. Either way, it was a sign to stop and give her little girl some one on one time.

And they’d gone over this when Nick left. A reconciliation with the boys was in the works and while that was a very positive thing for Nick, it also meant he’d be traveling all over the country again as they worked out details and possibly started recording again. But, it was a bittersweet advance really. Nick was enjoying being around all the time. Enjoying being available to his brother, to Ben, to Lani and Rosalie. He wasn’t totally convinced he was ready to become the little brother in this group again. But, healing was needed. And he’d assured Lani that if they needed anything, he’d be on the next plane back home.

“He said he’d try to work from Florida now. But, things have changed, so he’s in California this week.”

“I want to go to California some day.”

“Maybe we could visit Nick there sometime, huh?”

“Why can’t the other boys come to Florida? It’s nice here.”

“Yes, it is, but their bosses and things are in California. I’m just glad they’re working together again…or trying anyway.”

Rosalie shrugged and looked at their empty tree. “I think we got ‘em all.”

“One more thing.” Lani turned around so Rosalie could climb on her back. “Hop on. We need to get the angel down.”

Rosalie found the smile inside herself and climbed up on the ottoman and onto her mother’s back. She reached up as tall as she could and grabbed, just catching the angel’s skirt. “Got her. Where do I put her?”

“Hrm…that box is full.” Lani scooted around the living room, shuffling her stocking feet along the carpeting as she went. “How ‘bout over here? Hang on to my shoulders.” She bent over at the waist and let Rosalie drop the angel into the box in the corner. When she stood back up, Rosalie’s caught a glance of something hiding at the back of the end table.

“Wait, Mamí…what’s this?” Before Lani knew what Rosalie was grabbing at, the child had clamored down and lifted up a white envelope from behind a plant. “It has my name on it. Did we miss a card?”

Lani paled and snatched it from Rosalie’s hand. “No, no, we didn’t. I uh, just…” She sighed as she sat down staring at the familiar writing on the envelope. “I hadn’t gotten around to sharing this one with you yet is all.”

“Well, I wanna see it, Mamí. Christmas is over!”

“Right. How, um. How ‘bout some milk and cookies while we open it, okay?”

“Okayyyy…” Rosalie didn’t understand the need for a treat while she opened a simple card, but any excuse for peanut blossoms and milk was fine by her. That is if Nick hadn’t eaten them all already.

Lani put together a quick plate and a couple of glasses and lifted Rosalie up to the barstool for their snack. She handed Rosalie the card and tried to keep her hand from shaking. She failed miserably. “Okay, Ro…this, um…came with the nativity.”

Rosalie frowned, not understanding why her Mom would keep that from her, but took it anyway figuring there must be a good explanation. She pulled the card out of the envelope and smiled at Nemo and Dory’s faces. “What’s it say, Mamí?”

Lani read the printed greeting on the card and waited for Rosalie to get done with her imitation of Crush, the sea turtle.

“Who’s it from, dude?”

“Well, dude…it’s…it’s from Neron.”

“Dude.” The cookie in Rosalie’s hand dropped to the plate and she took a large gulp of her milk. “Why he give me a present?”

Here it was. The moment Lani had hoped, in her most unrealistic heart of hearts, would never happen. The moment she had to open the door for Neron to be in Rosalie’s life. To risk her daughter’s heart for the sake of the truth. To put it all out there, not knowing what the truth would bring to their lives. She decided to delay just a few minutes more…if she could.

“Did you like him? When he came over for Christmas?”

“He was okay…how do you know him?”

“I met him a long time ago, baby. We, uh…we used to go out.” Lani grabbed a cookie and bit angrily, not enjoying the peanut butter and chocolate as it melted in her mouth at all. Bitter. Everything tasted bitter.

“Like you and Nicky?”

“Sort of, yeah.”

“He want to go out with you again?” Rosalie tried her cookie again, popping the kiss from the center and nibbling on the tip like a bunny rabbit.

“I hope not. Nicky keeps me pretty busy.”

“Yes. Just Nicky. No Neron.”

“No…but, um…” Lani pulled the ponytail out of her hair and shot the scrunchie across the room in frustration. How could she say this? How would Rosalie react? How could she explain it so that Ro knew she was still the most loved little girl on the face of the earth…even though her daddy had abandoned her before he even knew her name? “Okay, I have to tell you something and I’m nervous…”

“Why?”

“Because you may…because…” Lani sighed and tried again. “Because I am. I don’t know how I feel about it and I really don’t know how you’ll feel about it.”

“So you have to tell me. I not scared.”

Lani smiled at her beautiful daughter, reaching her hand up to touch the creamy complexion of her face. “Okay…we’ll be brave together then.”

Rosalie nodded against her mother’s finger and offered her a bite of her cookie. “Take a bite. Then tell me.”

Lani took a small nibble and quickly chewed, deciding to get it out quickly and back track if necessary. Fast had to be best. “You see, Neron…he…he loved me once. Or I thought so anyway.”

“And you loved him? Like with Nick?”

“I thought I did. But I was younger then too and didn’t know how good love can be.” Rosalie waited for what her mother had to say, knowing this wasn’t it…but knowing she wasn’t going to like it one bit either. “And well, sometimes when two people love each other…”

“They get married!”

“No. Well, yes, but no…” Lani sighed and shoved the rest of her cookie into her mouth, wondering if that had been wise, seeing how dry her mouth was. Somehow it got chewed and down and a smile came from somewhere deep within her, giving her at least a glimmer of strength to get this out. With a deep breath and a squeeze to her daughter’s hand she blurted out the truth.

“Neron is your father, Rosalie. He’s your daddy.”