- Text Size +

“You pump, I’ll clean.” Ben was almost out of the car before Nick came to a full stoop.

“You sure you’re tall enough to reach the windows, dude?”

Ben had already grabbed the window washer and flung dirty fluid across Nick’s truck, nailing him right between the eyes. “I don’t know – you think you can count high enough to fill up this boat?”

“I don’t need to count, genius. The machine does it for me.” Nick grinned and ducked before another dousing of grimy wiper fluid hit him again.

Now that he was home again, Nick had made a conscious effort to spend more time with Ben. He’d let it slide for much too long and wanted to connect again – at least before Ben took off for the Keys for spring break.

It had sounded like such a good idea at the time – matching up Aaron with Ben – they were so much alike, but now…now that his family had virtually gone off the deep end, he wasn’t feeling all too keen on Ben being down there. Hell, Nick didn’t even want to be down there. How could he, in good conscience, feed Ben to the lions like that?

There was no telling the kid this, of course. Ben was going. His first trip alone. His first almost adult vacation. Time away from his brother and sisters. Time away from his mother. Time away from his girl – that part wasn’t all that nice. And, time learning more about Nick and his family than he probably should.

A spray of warm, thick water hit Nick on the face, snapping him out of his daze. “Are you in there? I’ve been talking to you for 2 minutes, dude.”

“Huh? Oh. No. Sorry. What time does your flight leave tomorrow?”

“Christ, Nick. 11:27 or some stupid time like that. Why don’t you write it down or somethin’?”

“I’ll remember…I just…” Nick heard the gas pump thunk and clicked the lever a few times to get a more even total. “…god, gas is expensive again.”

“Don’t you want me to go? You’re actin’ weird about the whole thing.”

“I want you to go, Ben. It’s just…” Squealing tires and a thumping bass pulled both boys away from their conversation. “…shit.”

Seeing Nick turn his back to the car and then recognizing who unfolded from the dilapidated old Chevy with the brand spanking new sound system, Ben echoed Nick’s sentiment. “Shit, shit, shit.”

Nick finally got the gas cap on properly and motioned to Ben to put the window wiper away ignoring clicking of boot heels that came closer and closer. “Let’s go.”

“Aw, Nick…don’t leave on my account.”

“Neron.” Quickly sliding into his truck, Nick clicked the locks down and fumbled to get his keys in the ignition. Why was this asshole making him nervous?

“Breathe, Nick…just get the hell outta here.”

“I’d love to. What the fuck is wrong with me?”

A tap on the window stopped his fumbling and Nick reluctantly looked to his left, dreading the ugly mug that would be on the opposite side of the glass. With a deep sigh, he rolled down his window. “Can I help you?”

Neron folded his arms on the edge of the window and smiled, his gold tooth glimmering in the sun, his thick Borican accent sounding more menacing than usual. “Yes, maybe you can.”

“Mmm…make it fast. I got somewhere I need to be.”

“Pity.”

Nick finally got the keys in the ignition and turned on the engine, revving it for…why? To show how tough he was? “Nick, just get us out of here…” Okay, to show how stupid he was. That worked.

“Is there a point to this, Neron? Or have you forgotten how to pump your own gas?”

“Call off the girlfriend, will you? I don’t need any court appearances.”

“Ah, of course. Only you wouldn’t know Solana well enough to know that no one tells her what to do.” Nick put the car in drive and punched on the stereo. “If you’ll excuse me.”

Not to be so easily deterred, Neron jogged along side the car, never letting go of the door. When Nick jerked the car to a stop Neron tripped and righted himself before Nick could even muster up a good laugh. “Cute, Carter. I’m serious. Call off Solana.”

“Look, Neron, I don’t have any more control over what she does with her daughter than I do over the weather. And, if you hadn’t been such an ass with her to begin with, none of this would be happening now, would it?”

“You callin’ me an ass?”

“Yeah, I am. And I’m leaving…move or you’re comin’ with me.” Nick jerked the car forward and Neron had no choice but to let go, flipping him off as the truck sped out of the station.

Ben and Nick drove in heated silence for as long as Ben could stand it. “Are you gonna tell me what the hell is going on or do you just like leaving me here in the dark?”

“Your eyes glow all pretty like in the dark. I think I’m gonna leave you there.”

“I hate you.”

“Good. Much safer.” Nick laughed at the lame pout on Ben’s face and finally conceded. “Later, dude, okay? I just wanna forget about it all right now.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Okay, tell me why the hell we’re going to the center on a Saturday when I already spend half of my waking hours there?”

“Now who’s the one who can’t remember shit?” Nick grabbed the back of Ben’s shirt, stopping him from going inside. “Woah there, Tonto…you’re helping me carry these in.”

“These what?”

“Two window air units, dawg. Or have you forgotten that José broke two last week and you all have been sweating like pigs since.”

“Oh…Lani said we couldn’t afford new ones…”

“The center can’t.” Nick grunted as he lifted one of the boxes and glanced up at the door, wondering if he could carry it that far. “But I can.” Seeing Ben waver as he lifted the second unit from the truck, he chuckled. “You got it?”

“Yeah, just fuckin’ move, man…I’m gonna drop this thing on my toes.”

As they got closer to the door, they could hear a thumping bass coming from inside. Loud, thumping bass. Only this wasn’t the salsa swing shit that had been coming from Neron’s car – this was…

“Is that Jet? Lani likes Jet?”

Nick put down his box and groaned when he stood up, the ache in his back reminding him that he was young, but not as young as the kid standing next to him. “Remember Elvis last year? They’re cleaning…” Nick peeked in and smirked. “Yup…let’s go. We’ve got a cleaning concert to attend.”

Ben put his box on the ground and followed Nick in, scooting their boxes across the concrete floor in rhythm to the song’s introduction.

123 take my hand and come with me
because you look so fine and I really want to make you mine.

Instead of a hand, Rosalie took a feather duster from Lani and followed her towards Barry’s office.

Until they bumped right into Nick and Ben. Nick took his cue.

I say you look so fine that I really want to make you mine.

Lani didn’t miss a beat, and handed Nick a broom, pointing to the bookshelves so he could get started, sending him on his way with a kiss, of course.

4 5 6 come on, get your kicks
Now you don’t need money when you look like that do ya’ honey?

Nick stood in the middle of the large room, pouting while everyone danced around him. He didn’t want to clean. Not yet. Right now, it was time to play! He threw his broom down and slid back over to Lani singing in her ear as he danced behind her.

Big black boots
Long brown hair
She’s so sweet with her
Get back stare.

Rosalie would have none of this business of being second best so she slid over to Ben and yanked his arm so he’d dance with her. He took the feather duster from her hand and tossed it aside, throwing his teenaged pride and angst aside right along with it. Sometimes, you just have to let it all go.

I could see
You home with me
But you were with another man, yeah
I know we ain’t got
Much to say
Before I let you get away, yeah

All motion stopped as the music did and each partner looked into the eyes of the other, speaking the next line along with the CD.

I said-a, “Are you gonna be my girl?”

The dance began again, right in time to the music, this time adding some sort of cleaning tool to the routine. Fun, yes. Desire to get done? Even more so. Nick, of course was busy cleaning Lani’s ass and Ben was busy fending off Rosalie’s feather duster in his face.

123 take my hand and come with me
because you look so fine and I really want to make you mine.

I say you look so fine that I really want to make you mine.

They swapped partners and Nick scooped up Rosalie, making her squeal and lose count of the next line.

4 5 6 come on, get your kicks
Now you don’t need money with a face like that do ya’?

The dancing continued. The mirage of cleaning continued and the song carried on – along with its performers.

Big black boots
Long brown hair
She’s so sweet with her
Get back stare.

I could see
You home with me
But you were with another man, yeah
I know we ain’t got
Much to say
Before I let you get away, yeah

When the music died down this time, everyone stopped in their places, Rosalie’s skirt still swaying the previous rhythm of her hips.

I said-a, “Are you gonna be my girl?”

On Nick’s lead, they snapped with the song, in West Side Story fashion, giggling and moving to the center of the room. They met in the middle just in time. The music erupted in a full rock and roll vamp and they danced and sang and moved and forgot the entire world outside of their own.

I could see
You home with me
But you were with another man, yeah
I know we ain’t got
Much to say
Before I let you get away, yeah

I said-a, “Are you gonna be my girl?”*

As the song ended, they got an abrupt re-entry into reality.

“Christ. Why did I think you people could help me?”

The flimsy screen door slammed shut, but not before Lani caught a glimpse of José leaving the scene. “Shit. José.” She took off after him and Nick automatically took charge as the door slammed behind her.

“Okay guys. Real cleaning. Let’s go…” He kissed away Rosalie’s concerned face and bopped Ben on the head with the feather duster. “She’ll be okay…”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nick slammed the hatch to his truck closed and peeked into his back seat, shaking his head at the love birds that were snuggled in the middle of it.

“I take it I’m the chauffeur today?”

“To the airport, James. And make it snappy. I’ve got a plane to catch.”

Erin and Nick cracked up at Ben’s horrible attempt at a British accent. Ben couldn’t help but giggle right along with them. “Just stick to sucking face with the lady, Ben…you might pull a muscle otherwise.”

And so he did – not pull a muscle, but sucked face with the lady of his dreams. He wasn’t sure how he was going to make it a week away from his Erin – they’d gone through so much just to be together and now he was off to a week of god knew what in the Keys with Nick’s brother. He couldn’t wait to get there, but he could definitely wait to be away from his sweetie.

As Nick entered the highway, he snuck a peak into the rearview mirror and almost choked. “God, guys – could you at least keep the tongues inside your mouths?” As they snickered, he mumbled like an old, grumpy man. “I do NOT need to be seeing this.”

“Whatsa matter, Dad? Not gettin’ any of your own?”

“I’m gettin’ plenty, thank you very much. I just don’t need to be witness to you gettin’ yours – especially in my TRUCK!”

And so the journey went until they finally pulled into the airport parking garage. Ben and Erin pulled themselves away from one another long enough to get Ben into the airport, ticketed and to a small deli diner to wait for his gate time. And then the nervous fidgets began.

“What are YOU so nervous about? I’m the one getting on the plane.”

Nick quit tearing his napkin into tiny shreds and dug in his pocket, pulling out a cell phone. “Here…”

“What’s this?”

Nick gave him an incredulous look and turned it on. “It’s one of those pay as you go things. You’ve got about $20 worth of time on there…and I’m not upping it ‘til after you get home. Don’t abuse this thing.”

“I don’t need this, Nick…” He tried to hand it back, but Nick would hear nothing of it.

“Yeah. You might. Honestly, if you wanna call Erin and talk for hours on end, use Aaron’s phone. He’s got free long distance and a kajillion minutes. But…for emergencies…”

“…what kind of emergencies?”

“…just…emergencies. I’ve got speed dial all set up for you. I’m #1, of course.”

“Of course.” They rolled their eyes at each other and went right back to the phone.

“Lani’s 2, your house is 3 and your mom’s work is 4. I think Erin’s in there as 5, but you’ll have to look it up…”

Ben automatically started pushing buttons to figure out how it worked and Nick’s back end started ringing. “Oops.”

“Are You Gonna Be My Girl? Your butt rings Jet?” Erin couldn’t stop laughing.

“Hush. It’s Ben’s ring.” Nick snagged the phone out of Ben’s hand and showed him the button to end a call. “Emergencies, got it?”

“Yeah…” Ben’s eyes still questioned. Nick’s eyes remained firm. Erin’s eyes grew uncomfortable.

“I’m, um…how much longer ‘til you go?” Erin stood and grabbed her purse.

“I’ve got about 15 minutes...”

“Okay, I’m gonna go over…I’m…I’ll be back.” She disappeared into the crowd before Ben could stop her.

“Great. Thanks, Nick…I kinda wanted to be with HER before I took off…”

“You will be. Ben, look. My brother…” Nick rubbed the bridge of his nose and tried again. “My family…they’re…it’s…things aren’t good right now.”

“I know. I mean…I don’t, but…it’s not like I’m not used to family shit.”

“You’re not used to my family shit…truth is, I’m not real thrilled at what you might see.”

“What, you afraid you’ll fall off your pedestal?”

“Dump the attitude, Ben. You have no idea…I’m just…I’m trying to give you a way out. That’s all.”

Ben stopped arguing and shoved the phone into his bag. “Alright. Whatever. I don’t know what the hell you’re so worried about…”

“That’s exactly what I’m worried about.”

Ben grabbed his bag and turned to see if he could figure out which way Erin went. “I need to get through security…where’d she go?”

Nick stood and spotted her at a magazine stand and guided Ben to her, not mentioning another word about his family or his fears. It was time for the kids to say ‘goodbye’, to feel their first ache of distance, to let each other grow a little while on their own. Ben and Nick hugged and shared one more knowing look between them.

“I’m always here for you.”

“I know…I know.”

Erin and Nick stayed and watched him as he passed through security without a hitch. They quietly walked out to the parking garage, deep in their own thoughts.

When Nick got in and started the truck, Erin looked over to him, worry wrinkling her young, perfect complexion.

“Is he gonna be okay?”

“I hope so, Erin. I hope so.”

* Are You Gonna Be My Girl? words and music by N. Chester & C. Muncey, © 2003 Elektra Entertainment Group, Inc. for the United States and WEA International Inc. Warner Music Group, ARR.