- Text Size +

Ben led the parade of barefooted, ruffled haired, barely dressed minors out onto the patio, holding a finger to his lips and a hand over the littlest one’s mouth. Until she blew a raspberry to get him to move it.

“Ppttthhh.”

With a loud whisper, Ben jerked back and shot a glare to the midget curly-q. “Rosalie…what was that for?”

“I don’t like your hand there…why we being quiet anyway?”

“Look…we wanna surprise them.”

Nick stirred at the quiet commotion and peeled an eye open, gratefully landing only in Kitty’s eyes. She motioned for him to be quiet and not let on that he saw them all. With a wink and a dramatic groan, he shifted under Lani’s body, and settled in for the appearance of a deeper sleep.

They’d been curled up on the chaise for hours he guessed, especially in light of the aches that wracked through his back when he moved. It mattered not. He finally got to fall asleep and awaken with Lani. If it had to happen curled up and cramped on a chaise on his patio, then so be it.

Rosalie stifled a giggle at the couple, her mother’s hair flopped in all sorts of positions, mostly over her face, and Nick’s big bare feet dangling off the edge of the chair just begging to be tickled. With a look to Ben, she perched her finger at the sole and giggled as he nodded his approval.

With the gentlest of touches, her fingers curled to the sole of Nick’s foot and she whispered a morning greeting. “Despieta, Nicky.”

He jerked his foot back, slamming his knee into Solana’s crotch, causing her to flip her head up in shock and knocking him full force in the chin. “What the hell, Nick!?”

“Oh shit! Lani…Rosalie…god, what the…” Nick tried to sit up full, pushing Lani off of him in a not so romantic fashion, almost causing her to tumble to the concrete floor.

“I’m sorry, Nicky…Mommy, you okay?” Rosalie was almost in tears from the abrupt end to her innocent flirtation. Her mom was still glaring, Nick was still rubbing his chin and the older kids were all laughing their fool heads off. She felt isolated, alone and stupid.

So, she sat in the middle of the patio with her back turned to the group and pouted, trying with all of her might to fend off the tears that threatened. This didn’t go well at all. Ben and his stupid ideas.

“Why did you kick me!?” Lani was now standing, fidgeting with her clothes, making sure that their pre-sleep necking didn’t leave her too terribly exposed.

“She tickled me! I didn’t mean to, Lani…god…damn, you have a hard head.”

“Well, you have a fat knee. Jesus…” Grabbing the edge of the chaise, she found a corner and sat again, shooting one more dirty look to the older kids. She knew full well who was behind the scheme. “You’re lucky no one got seriously hurt, Ben.”

“Oh God, Lani…no one was going to get hurt. Not my fault you two were twisted like a pretzel out here…there were beds inside you know.” He had to turn away from them to keep from laughing. Damned lucky they didn’t come out to something explicit.

“Thank you, Captain Obvious. We were talking and fell asleep is all. And this one,” Lani got back up and popped Liz on the head with a gentle fist, “this one snores like a bulldozer. She kept me up.”

“I do not!” Liz plopped onto the concrete next to Rosalie who promptly got up and walked to the other side of the pool, completely distancing herself from these people who embarrassed her in front of Nick.

“You do so, Liz…my god, I can hear you down the hall at home.” Jack had finally calmed down and settled on the chaise, looking at Nick’s chin to make sure he wasn’t going to be permanently scarred. Dr. Casey approved.

“Well, fine. You’ll have another door to block my awful noise now won’t you? I won’t be a problem anymore.”

“Guys…god. It’s early and we’re all tired from yesterday. Can we go in and eat?” Kitty crossed her arms around herself, rubbing her arms, kicking her brother in the calves as she walked by. “Hasn’t anyone noticed it’s friggin’ cold out here!?”

And with that, they all hobbled, mumbled, grumbled and stumbled their way inside, even pouty Rosalie. Letting everyone go in front of him, Nick stopped just short of the door and grabbed Lani’s hand.

“What?” She saw the gentleness in his eyes and softened her glare as well. This was no one’s fault…just a joke gone awry. And how dare he look so beautiful after a day of moving and a fitful night’s sleep?

“Just this.” He leaned in and captured her lips in his, moaning at the taste of morning and blueberry muffins and Lani. “Good morning.”

“Good morning…let’s hope today goes more smoothly than that start, huh?”

He pulled her in close, running his fingers through her tangled hair. “You okay? God…I nailed you.”

“Yeah, I’m good. Maybe later you can kiss it and make it better.”

“Ooh…yeah. I probably should do a full exam too. Make sure everything’s still in place and all.”

“I’m thinkin’, yeah…” With a gleam in her eye and a squeeze to his butt, she leaned up and kissed him quickly, ducking inside the kitchen before anyone noticed they had been side-tracked yet again.

Rubbing his aching chin, Nick watched her go in, wondering what it would be like to wake up to a house full of kids every day. Their kids.

As the patio door closed behind him, he snapped out of that dream. He wasn’t even sure where it had come from, but he could see it clear as day. He’d never dreamed of such things before…but now?

Sighing at the sights before him, he had to smile. The refrigerator door was opened and closed more times in one minute than it had been in its entire existence in Nick’s home. Crumbs were already flying everywhere as were boxes of cereal, bowls and glasses of juice. Ben popped open the morning paper and Lani poured a cup of coffee, adding just the right amount of cream, knowing Nick’s morning preferences over his daily ones.

Yes, now, it seemed more of a reality than any dream he’d ever dreamt. A reality he was amazed that he embraced with every beat of his heart.

A reality that scared him to death.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Thanks for taking me out of there. I’m not sure if I was going to kill mom first or Jack. So damned anal.” Ben unhooked Rosalie’s car seat and kissed her forehead before giving her a hand to climb out of Nick’s huge truck. “Up and at ‘em, girl.”

“We were thinking you might be the first to go down.” Solana winked at him and dug into her purse for her keys. “Where are they? AH!” She pulled them out and handed the noisy collection to Rosalie who quickly darted up the porch to unlock the door. “Your mom sure was grumpy, huh?”

“Yeah…probably just the move and stuff. So much to do and we all have to go back to school tomorrow.”

“Well, Barry gave her the week off, so she should have some peace and quiet to get everything done while you all are in school. You hungry, guys?”

“Always.” Nick looked up in time to see Rosalie angrily toss the keys onto the porch and sit down with her arms crossed looking more than pitiful. “What’s up, Ro? Can’t get it?”

“No. I could yesterday. It’s bein’ grumpy like Mrs. Casey.”

“That’s no good…come here.” He squatted down and hiked her onto his knee so she’d be just a fraction taller.

“Bumpy side up, Mamí says.”

“Yep…turn it hard to your…” The key turned easily in her and Nick’s shared grasp and they both cheered. “You just needed to be a little taller is all.”

“I just needed you cheering for me.”

He ducked down lower to the ground and invited her to hop onto his shoulders. “Watch your head.”

“Ducking!”

As they all went inside, Nick made a bee-line for the couch and tossed Rosalie into the cushions, falling quickly to her side and attacked her with his fingers, causing squeals, shouts, yelps and kicking feet.

Unfortunately, Ben had had enough noise in the past few days and motioned to Solana’s back patio, quietly escaping the tickle fest. He needed some solitude. His mother’s mood when they’d come back from Nick’s was beyond grumpy and it pissed him off. She’s had a nice, quiet evening here at Lani’s and yet, she was all tense and nasty and short. He’d lift a box and she’d bitch at him to put it down. He’d sit and wait for further directions and she’d howl that he was being lazy. She virtually ignored Nick and Lani’s presence and they were only there to help…and had helped by keeping everyone out of her hair for one night. Not even a ‘thank you’ was uttered.

It was unlike her. Well, unlike her lately anyway. He remembered when she was like this all the time…and it scared him.

Nick knocked on the patio glass to get his attention and Ben motioned for him to come on out.

“We’re getting Chinese, that okay?”

“Yeah, sounds good.” Ben pulled up a chair and sat down, looking forlorn and tired and not quite himself.

“You okay, dude?” Nick tousled Ben’s hair and pulled back when the teen pulled away from his touch.

“Just tired of noise, I guess.”

“Oh. Sorry.” Nick could read body language. ‘Leave me alone’ was being spoken here. Loud and clear. He slid the door open to head back inside. But, Ben called him back quickly.

“No, Nick. It’s me, not you, man. I just…” He slunk down into the chair, his long legs stretching out in front of him. “Something’s up with mom besides the move.”

“What is it?”

“I don’t know…that’s what’s buggin’ me. You heard what a bitch she was with me. I couldn’t do anything right.”

“Eh, that’s moms sometimes. She’s just tired.”

“No! It’s more than that…it was like…like she was nervous to have me there…she never looked at me once. Did you see that!?”

“Uh, no…I was too busy unpacking Barbie dolls.”

“From what I heard, it sounded like you were too busy playing with them.” Ben peeked out from under the bill of his ball cap to only have it thwapped back down over his eyes.

“Shut up. Ken was giving decorating advice. He’s very, um…”

“Gay?”

“Yeah, I’d say so. Got a mama like Barbie and he prefers GIJoe.” Nick sat down at Ben’s feet having a feeling that the kid needed to unload more than he needed to be alone. “Don’t let your mom get to you, dude…she’ll chill once the house is back together.”

“I dunno. Last time she was like this was when…” He closed his eyes and stood up, no longer wanting to be still. Also no longer wanting to think about it. “When’s dinner?”

“Uh, as soon as Lani calls it in and it’s delivered…”

Ben nodded and walked over to the garden they had all started last summer. It was filling in beautifully, perennial flowers painting the corner of the small yard with a rainbow of colors. “Maybe Lani will let me cut some of these and take to mom…see if that chills her out a bit.”

“Can’t hurt…I’m sure she’d let you.” Nick stood for a few more minutes, trying to read Ben’s mind, trying to relate to whatever it was that the kid might be thinking. Slinking down into the chair, he realized, he’d never relate. His life had been nothing like this kid’s. Like any teenaged boys’ life. He hadn’t a clue.

But, he had a heart. He had to give it a try anyway. “Ben…”

“Don’t. I don’t want to talk about it any more. Let’s go back in, huh?” Seeing Nick get up, Ben started toward the patio, but stopped short, seeing something white tucked in between the thick blades of grass and the edge of the concrete. “What the…” As he got closer, he slowed, and paled. “Oh shit…Nick.”

“What’s up?”

“Um…you get it. I can’t believe this.” Ben pointed to the edge of the concrete with anxiety and disgust written all over his face.

“What is it?” Nick finally made his way over to where Ben was looking, squatting down and following his gaze. “Oh hell. It’s a…” Nick picked it up and held it in front of Ben, asking only with his eyes.

“Don’t look at me, man. I haven’t had one of those since…hell, since Steve and I hung out.”

“Well, I don’t think it’s Lani’s…” He got up and shoved his hand in his pocket, hiding any evidence of what they’d found. “…I think we’d better ask her though…later.”

“Now. Nick, ask her now.”

“Not in front of Ro…”

“She won’t understand, Nick. I gotta know…ask her now, please?”

The desperation in Ben’s voice concerned Nick, but gave him enough reason to go for it now. He could slide it under Lani’s nose without Rosalie seeing…maybe. “Okay, okay…calm down…I’ll ask her soon. Just chill or she’ll know something’s up.”

“Yeah, yeah…” Ben wiped his hands on his shorts and finally headed toward the door. “We’ll eat and ask and…it’ll all be okay, right?”

“Yeah…right…” Nick went in behind Ben, confused at Ben’s nerves. No one was going to peg this on him, what was he so freaked about?

Fortunately, when they got in, Rosalie was immersed in an episode of Dora in the other room. Ben slipped past the kitchen table and Lani’s glance. Even Dora sounded more enjoyable than approaching Lani at the moment.

“He okay? Stuff should be here in about 5 minutes.”

“I’m not sure. He’s bein’ weird. And, uh…we found something in your yard.” Nick pulled his hand out of his pocket and looked down, causing Lani’s eyes to follow.

“What is it?”

He lifted his hand and flicked it to her. “Any idea where this came from?”

She watched the white roll tumble across the counter. “Oh hell.” Picking up the half smoked joint, she lifted it up for closer inspection. “Smells kinda fresh still…” She flipped it back to him, not wanting the smell to be on her hands at all. “You don’t think…”

“No…I don’t think it’s his, Lani. But he sure as hell seems to know whose it is.”