- Text Size +
The real Ciara is now 40 years old, alive and…well, alive. And, outside of my husband, she is my best friend. Every physical symptom, ailment, malady and diagnosis are real and true to her. She was diagnosed with diabetes 31 years ago and lives with it every day. Lupus is still on her charts, although they do waffle between that and some form of arthritis...they’re still testing and watching. Either way, the symptoms and pain are very similar. Myasthenia Gravis also plagues her, contributing to much of her pain and weakness. The pregnancy and end result you read about is also true. It has affected her relationships and continues to to this day. The male relationships outside of Nick are also very real and true to the telling here-in, although Duane was not a drug user. Artistic license and all, you know. She has yet to meet her “Nick.”

Much of Nick’s participation in this story is mine. I gave her her shot prom night when her dress was too tight. I’ve been the one to walk her through eating a number of times so she’ll get her blood sugar back up to a more balanced level. I stood in the ICU watching tubes help her breathe and made a promise that no matter what, I’d be there for her. The car accident happened not long before I started writing this story in late November, 2001 and happened exactly as explained. Her family was painted similar to reality, although I owe an apology to her brother. I booted him out of the family to make it easier to write. Sorry, buddy. They are supportive in their own warped way, but lately, things have been getting much better with them.

She is not a water baby, she hates the heat of Florida, has an inexhaustible love of and collection of shoes and eats so much salad dressing/salad that her “lettuce has to swim”. She also drives hotter than hell sports cars, and has a cat named Lindsey. The one her ex-husband…well, yeah…that was true. (I still shiver thinking about it) THAT one was Lexie. The timing with the Lexington trip in this story was pure coincidence. Both cats are/were neurotic in my mind, but…she loves them. She is also NOT a Backstreet fan…poor thing. Country music fills her home…loudly.

She is a nurse, although prefers critical care, cardiac care, intensive care. Because of the loss of her child, she is uneasy working so closely with children. It hurts too much. But, she is the most compassionate nurse I’ve ever encountered. The scene between Cici and Brian after his heart surgery was actually a scene that happened between “Ciara” and I after the cesarean birth of my second child. She’s firm, loving, patient and caring. I’d take her over any nurse in any situation.

Why did I chose to take the story to “the end” if she’s still very much alive? Because, sadly, unless a number of miracles occur (which I still believe in…) this is her plight. Her life is not an easy one, nor will it ever be, whether she finds true love or not. Her heart is often a broken one, but yet…she keeps on smiling, keeps on fighting, keeps on keepin’ on. For that, in hopes that she’ll enjoy all of her days, I hope that one day she WILL be covered in dreams.

 

UPDATE: June 2008.

On May 25, 2008, the story became even more true to life, as my Lisa, aka your "Cici," left this earth to go to her eternal home. Even though she battled multiple auto-immune disorders due to her diabetes, the death was sudden. The loss in my life has been of epic proportions as she was my constant companion and closest friend for over 32 years.

She remains with me in spirit and her presence will continue to make me a better person, just as it was when she could personally kick me in the hind end when I needed it. I just can't kick back now. :) She was honored I wrote about her and even more honored that her story (as well as other stories I wrote - she was so proud of me) touched so many lives, moved people to go see a doctor, helped them discuss their own family's illnesses with a bit more grace and ease.