- Text Size +
Abby stopped in the doorway and watched her husband set down his bag.  He closed the door carefully behind him and then looked around.  He broke into a slow grin when he saw her.  Abby watched it make its way across his face and into her heart.  He mouthed her name.

“Hi,” she said, suddenly shy.  She didn’t move toward him.

“Hi,” he said back.  He didn’t move either, just smiled at her and reveled in the fact that he was in his own home and would be for a week.  “I’m home,” he said, after a moment.

“Yes,” said Abby, with a smile.  “At last.  How was the flight?”

Nick moved finally.  He walked slowly toward her.  “It was fine…too damn long, though.  I just wanted to get here.”  He sniffed the air.  “Smells good…have I missed much?”  He leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips.

“We’re just starting the main course,” she said, when he moved his head away from hers.  She put her hand on his chest and ran it lightly down his torso.  How she was going to get through the next couple of hours, she did not know!

They stared at each other for a moment.  Nick wanted to kiss her again, but he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to stop.  Just one, maybe…  He took her face in his hands and bent his head to hers.  The scraping of a chair in the dining room made him hesitate.

Abby put her hand behind his head and pulled him down to her.  She kissed him lightly.  “Come on, then,” she said.  “I’d better feed you.  Or did you eat on the plane?”

They walked into the dining room.  John rose to his feet immediately and shook Nick’s hand.  Abby introduced her aunt, who looked Nick over from head to toe and then nodded.  He’d do.

“And of course, you remember Mother,” said Abby, in a tone of voice that she knew she’d catch hell for at some later date.

Sharon nodded at Nick and he nodded back.  “Mrs. Fremont…Ma’am,” he said.

Abby ushered Nick to the head of the table while Sharon told him not to be so formal.  She didn’t tell him what he should call her, though.  Nick just smiled and sat down.  Abby served him a plateful of food and returned to her seat.

Penelope laughed to herself.  These two young people wanted to be in each other’s arms in the worst way.  They did not want to sit here and make pleasant conversation.  Fortunately, Nick’s arrival had halted the torrent of party information spewing from Sharon.  Penelope hoped she’d exhausted that avenue of conversation.  She’d certainly exhausted Penelope with it.

John stepped into the arena.  He’d been absolutely quiet during his wife’s flood of words.  He was a man.  He had no opinions on flowers and appetizers.  Besides, thought Penelope, he’s probably already heard it all a thousand times.  I’m sure he’s relieved that Nick’s finally here.  It raises the testosterone level in the room.  Penelope made a mental bet with herself that John would mention sports within the first five sentences.

“So Nick, how was the flight?”

“Not bad, once we got off the ground.  There were thunderstorms up and down the coast and we were fogged in.  This looks good, Ba...”  Nick bit the end off the word.  “…Abby,” he finished lamely.

“I wonder how many ball games got rained out,” mused John.  Everyone looked at Penelope who had made a little, snorty sound.  She just gazed back at them blandly.

“I like your new album,” said Penelope, turning to Nick.  She told him what songs she liked the most and why, giving him a chance to eat his dinner and reply in monosyllables.  Sharon added her two cents worth, of course.  Penelope was surprised to discover that her sister-in-law knew quite a lot about the album.  She was totally amazed to discover that they even agreed on a number of points.  Wow!  Maybe they should play Backstreet Boys music at summit meetings for world leaders.  Maybe there could be peace on earth.

Abby sat at the end of the table and looked at Nick.  She didn’t add anything to the chat.  She sent silent blessings to her aunt for carrying the conversation and also to her mother for shutting up and letting someone else get a word in every so often.  She smiled to herself as she remembered the grilling Nick had received the first time they had sat down to dinner together with her parents. 

Nick caught the smile and sent one back.  He didn’t know what she was thinking about and he didn’t care.  I want to put my hands on you, he thought.

Abby’s eyes widened.  John continued to eat.  Sharon stopped in mid-sentence.  “I beg your pardon,” she said.

“Oh shit,” said Nick.  He’d said it out loud.  Abby’s eyes widened further.  Sharon stared at Nick.  She hadn’t heard the first sentence, but she’d certainly heard that!

Penelope roared with laughter, a sharp bark that startled John so much he dropped his fork.  Sharon couldn’t figure out what she’d missed.  Abby was laughing and Nick was beet red.  Penelope grinned and pointed her finger at Nick.  “You can stay,” she said, giving him her stamp of approval.  And then she turned and winked at Abby. 

Abby stood up and started clearing the dishes.  “I’ll just get dessert,” she said and disappeared into the kitchen. 

“I’ll help.”  Her aunt was right behind her.  The two women set down the dishes as quickly as they could and then fell apart laughing, trying unsuccessfully to do it quietly.  Tears streamed down their face as they looked at each other.  “I’ll get them out of here as fast as I can,” promised her aunt. 

“No, no, that’s okay,” protested Abby.  “I want you to get to know him.”

“Well, I got some pretty good insight just now,” teased her aunt.  The two women started laughing again.  “Come on, let’s get out there before Sharon eats him alive.”  She picked up the dessert plates and headed out.  Abby followed with the strawberry-rhubarb pie she’d made that morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner was followed by coffee in the living room and more conversation.  Nick asked Penelope about her latest travels and seemed genuinely interested in the answer.  Apparently, his need to get his hands on Abby had lessened somewhat.  Or maybe getting some food into his stomach had given him more patience.

John drank his coffee in unhurried fashion.  He didn’t get to spend much time with Abigail these days and he missed her.  He wasn’t in any hurry to leave.  He certainly wasn’t in any rush to once again be the only person between his wife and his sister.

Nick and Abby consciously avoided looking at their watch.  That would be rude, they knew.  Penelope smiled to herself.  The senior Fremonts were perilously close to overstaying their welcome.  She tried to think of something she could say or do to bring the evening to an end.  She thought about yawning, but knew that wouldn’t fool anyone.  It was barely ten o’clock.  She didn’t have to do anything, as it turned out.  Sharon did it for her. 

“Come on, John.  Penelope.  It’s time to go.  I’m sure these young people would like to be alone.”

Abby and Nick made polite denials.  No, no, stay.  Would anyone like more coffee?  John raised his cup to accept some, but was forestalled by his wife rising to her feet and taking the cup from his hands.  “John shouldn’t have that much caffeine late at night,” she explained.

John looked at his wife.  First time he’d heard that.  He looked around.  His sister was standing expectantly in the doorway to the hall.  He looked at Nick and then at Abby. The penny dropped.  His daughter wanted to have sex.  With her husband, he reminded himself, but still…

“Come along, Dear,” said Sharon.

There was an awkward flurry of hugs and goodbyes in the hall and then finally, the door closed behind their guests.  Abby breathed a sigh of relief.  “There!  That’s ov…”

It was as far as she got.  Nick spun her around and put his lips on hers.  Abby opened her mouth and drank him in.  They kissed passionately and frantically, their mouths grinding and their hands moving over each other’s body.  Their need for each other overwhelmed their senses.  They couldn’t kiss deep enough and didn’t have enough hands to cover all the places they wanted to touch.

Suddenly, the mood shifted.  The frantic urgency died and was replaced by a calm and gentle togetherness.  Their tongues stopped attacking each other and instead caressed gently.  Their hands became less frenetic…petting, not grasping.  They were home.

Nick moved his mouth away from Abby’s.  He stared into her eyes.  “I need you,” he whispered.

Abby nodded.  Then she nodded again.  “Come…” she said, softly, taking his hand.  They walked through the living room and up the hall to where their big, brass bed was waiting for them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I can’t believe you said that, you know, at the table,” said Abby laughing.  She danced her hand across Nick’s chest.  She lay in his arms, completely sated.

“Thank goodness only your aunt heard the actual words,” said Nick, trailing his fingers over her shoulder.  “Your mother would never forgive me.  What a…what do you call it…breach of etiquette?”

Abby kissed his chest.  “Actually, I think Mother would have understood…the sentiment, if not the protocol.  You’re right, though, she would never forgive that.”

“This is one story we will not be sharing with the Boys.  Got it, Babe?”

“Got it, Cupcake!”

They laughed and snuggled down together, both in a very happy place.  Their lovemaking had been ferocious.  There was clothing all over the room.  They’d stripped themselves quickly, tossing the clothes aside, never taking their eyes off each other.  Then they’d come together and fallen onto the bed.

“I should do this slow and soft…” murmured Nick into Abby’s neck.  It was the last thing he wanted.

“No,” whimpered Abby.  “I want it hard and fast.  I want you now.”  Her need was too intense for delicacy.

Nick complied, moving over her and into her in one graceful move.  They both moaned loudly, from the sheer ecstasy of being one person.  And then they moved together, trying to fuse their bodies into one being.  Nick’s movements were powerful and deep; Abby thrust her hips up, trying to get all of him inside her.  They made a lot of noise, whimpering and sighing, grunting and moaning.  And they were both half out of their minds by the end, not really aware of what they were doing or saying, just feeling the pleasure.

“Love me, Nick,” cried Abby as she crested the wave and sailed away.

“I do,” he replied in a moan that she didn’t hear.  She was somewhere else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You gotta get a new name for me,” said Nick.  “That whole Cupcake thing has got to go.” 

Abby laughed.  “I can see your point.  It’s not the manliest of names.  You need something strong and virile…like…”  She deepened her voice, “Mack…or Rex…or Tiger…”

Nick flinched.  Abby didn’t miss it. 

“Or maybe not,” she whispered.  She cursed herself for bringing Ronni into bed with them.

Nick tried to smooth it over.  “Well, something that’s not from the bakery.  Branch out a little into other areas of the store.”

Abby let it slide as well.  “Okay, how about Sirloin or Rump Roast or…”  She raised her head and looked at him.  Her eyes were twinkling.  She raised her eyebrows twice.  “…or Lamb Chop,” she finished with a grin.

“Noooo,” said Nick, throwing his head back in a howl.  “That’s even worse.”  He looked down at her.  “Don’t you dare!” he said, laughing.

“Well, I’ll wait, of course,” replied Abby, adopting a serious tone.  “I’ll wait until Brian’s finished the 40,000 cupcakes before we move on.”

“Grrrr,” said Nick, sitting up and rolling her onto her back.  Abby whimpered as a thrill ran through her.

Nick looked at her for a moment.  He licked his lips.  “This time soft and slow?”

“Yes, please,” sighed Abby.  And they melted into each other again.