- Text Size +
“Jeez, AJ, settle down.  You’re as nervous as a cat on a griddle.”  Kevin watched as AJ paced up and down the room.

“Yes, please.  You’re going to make me hysterical,” said Abby.  It was Tuesday morning.  They were in the green room at the Oprah show.  On the monitor, they could see Brian.  He was on the set with Oprah and Brandon Edgington, the coordinator of the Healthy Heart Club.  Oprah had decided that it would be better to have Brandon than a doctor and she was right.  He was a very personable young man and he and Brian obviously knew each other well and got along.  There was a lot of laughing going on, but a lot of information being given as well.

“Sorry,” said AJ.  He went over and sat on the sofa beside Abby.  He picked up her hand and squeezed it.  “I’m just not good at waiting.”

Abby nodded and returned the squeeze.  “You should get a worry stone like Nick’s.  It will keep your hands occupied.”

They looked over to where Nick sat quietly on a chair, his thumb stroking the piece of black marble.  “Maybe you’re right,” said AJ.  “Maybe that’s what I need.”

“I really don’t want to do this,” whispered Abby softly to the man beside her.

“You’ll be great,” AJ reassured her.  He leaned over and kissed her cheek.  “Trust me, it’s not that hard.”

They were almost done.  Kevin had gone first, then Howie, then Brian.  AJ was up next and then it would be Nick and Abby’s turn.  It had gone very well.  Oprah was sincere and very good at her job.  People opened up to her. 

And they had been well briefed.  They knew the questions that would be asked and they’d been given sample answers.  They’d listened to suggestions about how to shorten an answer or what to focus on.  There wasn’t going to be much time for each of them.  The show had a lot of commercials and the segments were short.

AJ was called for and Abby’s stomach started doing flip flops.  They were next.  She looked at her husband who seemed to be in his own world.  Abby wasn’t concerned.  Howie had warned her that he would be like that.  Last night at dinner.

Abby smiled to herself, remembering.  It had been a fun evening, once they all thawed out.  At first, the four men had all sat stiffly in the living room, knees together, hands folded primly in their lap.  Conversation had been stilted.  Abby could tell they were nervous, like kids at a formal tea.  Thank God her mother wasn’t there!

They relaxed finally when she got them into the kitchen.  She went to do the final preparations.  Howie asked if there was anything he could do to help.  She said, sure, keep me company.  The two of them joked and laughed and then Brian came in, carrying the platter that had held the hors d’oeuvres.  Kevin was behind him with the tray of glasses.

“This is a great kitchen, Abby,” said Kevin.  “It’s really well laid-out.”

“Thank you,” replied Abby.  “I had them re-design it when I bought the place.  I didn’t like the way it was before.  The stove was over here,” she pointed, “and there was no pantry cupboard.”

“I like it,” said Brian.  “I like this island-thingy too.”

“It’s great for breakfasts and things,” agreed Abby.  The three men arranged themselves on the stools and watched Abby move efficiently from counter to fridge to stove.

“Hey, where did everybody go?”  AJ bounced into the kitchen.  “Was it something I said?”

Nick followed him through the door.  He went over to Abby and put his arm around her.  “I used to think this was a big room, but when you get all of these guys in it…”  He kissed her forehead and let her go.  “What do you want me to do?”

Abby pointed out the things that needed to be carried to the dining room.  Everyone grabbed a dish and they formed a little Backstreet parade.

The dining room was very formal.  The table cloth was snowy white.  It was covered with gleaming silverware and dishes that looked a little old-fashioned.

“This is pretty,” said Howie, picking up a plate.

“My grandmother’s wedding china,” said Abby. “I’m glad to have a chance to use it.  It’s been in storage for many years.”

Conversation ebbed and flowed throughout the meal.  The Boys had met a lot of people today…the musicians in the orchestra, the film crew, the people helping out behind the scenes.  They were very impressed by the conductor and the concertmasters.  Maestro Barenboim and his two violinists, Samuel Magad and Robert Chen had put a lot of thought into the musical selections, wanting to showcase both the Boys and the orchestra.  There had been extensive communication over the preceding month, but still, when they all got in the same room, it was amazing how quickly it all came together. 

Nick had been attracted to the percussion section and had developed an immediate friendship with Ted Atkatz, the principal drummer.  Ted not only played with the orchestra but also sang and played drums for a local rock band.  Abby told them that Ted was also into sports…long-distance running.  He’d run the Chicago Marathon a couple of times.

AJ laughed and said that after all the assumptions that had been made about them over the years, he should have known better than to think that all the musicians would be serious, boring classical musicians.  And was that cellist hot, or what?

Married with three children, replied Abby.  Abby knew that it was only her presence that kept the ensuing remarks as clean as they were, as the Boys teased their friend about his lack of chance in that direction.  She looked down the table at her husband, who looked back at her and winked.  Then he pressed his lips tightly together.  He wasn’t going to blurt anything out like he’d done the night before!  Abby smiled. 

After each course, a different fella helped her clear the table and bring in the next round.  By the end, they were quite comfortable and relaxed and insisted that they help with the dishes.  Nonsense, declared Abby and shooed them back to the living room.  I’ll be five minutes, she said.

She smiled as she filled the dishwasher.  It had been a fun evening.  They were nice guys.  Nick had been nervous, she knew, desperately wanting his brothers to like his new home.  He’d given them the tour when they first arrived.  Kevin said it looked like a very comfortable home, a good combination of Nick and Abby.  The others agreed.  That seemed to relax Nick a little.

Or maybe he wasn’t nervous about the guys at all, thought Abby.  Maybe it was pre-concert jitters or just adapting to being in one place for more than 24 hours.  Abby didn’t think it was her.  She thought about their conversation earlier in the day.  Abby had to leave early in the morning to go to school.  Terence was picking Nick up later.  Abby told Nick to sleep in, but he didn’t, choosing instead to get up and have breakfast with her.  “I’ll save the shower for later,” he said, pulling on a t-shirt and sweatpants.

Over coffee and muffins, Abby asked him if he would like her to put the computer on for him, so he could check his email.

“I don’t need to do that,” he said, with a grin.  “Unless you sent me something this morning.”

“Well,” Abby hesitated and then jumped in.  “I thought maybe…someone else…”

Nick nodded slowly, taking in what she was saying.  “There’s no one else,” he said, after a moment.

“Of course, it would be okay.  As you said, it’s perfectly fine to correspond with other people.”

“Well, actually…”  Nick began slowly.  If ever there was a time to choose the right words, this was it.  “I did have some emails from Ronni…about the concert…but that’s all.”

“Mmm,” said Abby noncommittally, nodding her head but concentrating fiercely on the coffee pot.

“Beverage questions,” he added.

“Mmm,” said Abby again.  Then she turned to face him.  “It’s okay, you know.  I don’t own you.  If you want to exchange email with someone…with Ronni…that’s okay.  I don’t mind.”

Abby minded more than anything, but she couldn’t say that. 

“I’m not,” said Nick.  “I told you, it was just for a couple of weeks, the last half of May.  About the show.”

“Beverage questions,” said Abby. 

Nick nodded.  “She’s not part of my life, Abby.  You are.  You’re my life.”

Abby shook herself, chasing away the feelings of uneasiness and doubt.  “I’m just being silly,” she said.  “I’m sorry.  I guess I’m a little jealous.  She’s just so much…more…than I am.”

“No way,” said Nick.  “Get that thought right out of your head.  Here, let me help you with that.”  He pulled her into his arms and kissed her. 

“Mmmm,” purred Abby.  She leaned her head on Nick’s chest.  “As long as you’re kissing me and not her…”

It was a good thing that she wasn’t looking at her husband’s face.  She would not have liked what she saw there.

“Abby, there’s…”

“Oh my, look at the time.  I’m going to be late if I don’t get going.”  Abby laughed and stepped out of Nick’s arms.  “Can you just imagine me explaining that to the children?!  I’m late because I couldn’t stop kissing my husband.”

“What’s the sign for ‘kiss’?” asked Nick.

Abby touched her fingertips to her mouth and then moved them to her cheek.  A very gentle movement. 

Nick touched his lips to his wife’s cheek where her fingers had been.  Then he moved his mouth to hers.  He kissed her very softly.  Abby returned the kiss.  They stood together for a long time, caressing each other’s lips. 

Finally, Abby broke away from him.  “Gotta go,” she whispered softly, running her hand down the side of Nick’s face. 

“Have a good day,” said Nick, with a lazy grin.

“You too,” replied Abby.  “I’ll see you tonight.  Bring your little friends home for dinner, why don’t you?”

Nick laughed.  Then he touched his fingertips to his mouth and then to his cheek.  Abby smiled and left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Okay, Abby…Nick…you’re up.”

“Nnnhhh…”  Abby gave a groaning sigh and stood up.  Nick joined her and took her hand.  He squeezed it reassuringly.  They followed the gofer down a corridor and were told to wait quietly.

“Do I look okay?” asked Abby.

Nick nodded, but seemed distracted.

Abby giggled.  “Damn stupid time to be asking that question!”

Nick looked at her and started to grin.  “Pucker up,” he said and they kissed each other, careful not to smudge any of the makeup.  As he moved his mouth away, he put it by her ear and whispered.  “Don’t make me look too dumb, okay?”

Abby’s heart broke at his words.  That’s what was bothering him!  Of course, it is, you ninny, she chastised herself.  What kind of wife are you that you didn’t figure it out?  Thinking it was all about you, worrying about Ronni.

“You’re not,” said Abby.

“…fifth member of the group and she’s a local philanthropist and author of a new children’s book…Nick and Abby Carter!”  Oprah’s voice came through the speakers.  The assistant pushed them forward.

It was weird, thought Abby.  It seemed to take forever to walk the few steps to the set and yet it seemed like they had run all the way.  There was noise all around them of people clapping.  There were also a couple of whistles.

They had changed the furniture during the commercial break.  Instead of armchairs, there was now a loveseat.  She and Nick could sit together.  You’re a wise woman, Oprah! thought Abby.  She sat down beside Nick, gripping his hand tightly.  When she relaxed her hand, he squeezed hers.  She looked at him and gave him a shy smile.  They held hands for the rest of the interview.

Oprah held up the book.  “I have to tell you, this is the funniest story I’ve read in a long time.”

There was applause from the audience.  Each of them had been given a copy of the book when they arrived for the taping.

“Thank you,” said Abby, shyly, ducking her head.  Nick squeezed her hand.

“It’s not even a children’s book,” said Oprah, then reconsidered.  “Well, it is and it isn’t…it works on an adult level too.  And Nick, you did the illustrations?  Had you planned that together?”

“No,” said Nick, “I read the story and I loved it.  And then I…” he paused, “…I had some free time and I just started doodling…and that’s what came out.”  He motioned to the book.

“What did you think when you saw the drawings, Abby?  Have these changed much from the originals?”

“Those are the originals,” stated Abby emphatically.  “When I first saw the sketches, I said, ‘That’s Princess Penelope.’  They were perfect.”

“And what made you decide to publish the book…the first in a series, I believe?”

“I didn’t decide,” said Abby with a smile.  “It was kind of decided for me.”  She shot a sideways glance at her husband, who grinned at her and made the audience moan.

Nick took up the story.  “Abby sent me the stories when I was on the road.  I shared them with the fellas.  They all loved them and started saying…like how they should be published and all…and Kevin knows someone in publishing…”

“And when did they get around to telling you?” asked Oprah, who already knew the answer and thought it was one of the best love stories of the year.

“On our wedding day,” said Abby.  “Nick’s gift to me was a painting of the book cover.  Then they explained to me what it was.”

“Did you have any doubts about it?” asked Oprah.  “Did you…?”  She was going to ask if Abby thought people might think she was using Nick’s celebrity for her own vanity.

“I have doubts about everything,” blurted Abby.

Oprah laughed and changed direction.  “The proceeds from the books are going to charity, I understand.”

Yes, said Abby and spent a minute talking about the plan, how the profits from each book would go to a different children’s charity, something grass roots, where the money would get directly to the kids.  The proceeds from the first book would be going to the Chicago Board of Education to be spent on books for its school libraries.

Oprah called for a commercial.  “When we come back, we’ll hear about the latest project Abby has going…one with all the guys.”

During the commercial break, Abby finally breathed.  “You’re doing great,” said Oprah, leaning over to pat her hand.

“This is so not me,” said Abby, forgetting that there was a studio audience hanging on her every word.  A murmur of commiseration made her look up.  Her eyes widened.  “Sorry,” she said, not knowing why she was saying that.  The audience smiled and chuckled.

After the break, Nick finally got a chance to speak.  He explained how the concert had come about…that Abby worked on the fundraising committee and someone asked if Nick would come and do a concert.  Abby figured he couldn’t because they were in the middle of a tour, but the guys agreed that they’d all like to do it for her.

“Very generous of them,” said Oprah.

“Well, yeah,” said Nick, “but it was just…like payback…for her generosity, because she gave some money to all our foundations.”

Abby looked at Nick.  Had he just said that she’d bought the Backstreet Boys?  Was she the only one who would interpret it that way?

“Really?” said Oprah.

“They are five very worthwhile causes, as you have discussed here today,” said Abby. 

“Indeed they are,” said Oprah, “along with…” and she named off some of the other causes that Abby supported.  Abby shrugged.  It was what she did.  She wasn’t going to apologize either for having money or for giving it away.

Oprah got Nick to talk about the concert then, how it was going to be something different, but something they’d always wanted to do.  He talked about how terrific the musicians were and how they were having such a great week.

Oprah moved on to the DVD, assuring the audience that those who couldn’t be in attendance would get the whole thing in a couple of months time, along with backstage material and interviews with all the guys.

They went to another series of commercials.  There was more shuffling of furniture and the studio audience started to get very excited.  They were moving a piano out onto the set.  When Kevin walked out and sat down at it, the energy level rose dramatically. Omigod, they were going to sing.  Nick walked over and joined the others.  They arranged themselves behind the piano and waited.

The camera did a close-up of Oprah.  “I’d like to thank my guests today.”  She named Brandon and the lupus doctor who had been there with Howie.  She mentioned Abby and held up the book. Then she said a few words about giving back and how important it was, not just for wealthy people, everyone could do a little something.  Everyone could follow the example of these five men.  “They’ve been giving us beautiful music for many years, and also, so much more.  Here are the Backstreet Boys.”

The director signaled a cut to another camera and Kevin put his hands on the keys.