- Text Size +
“Up and at ‘em, Frack!”  There was a loud knocking on the door.  It was 8:00.

Nick opened it.  “I’ve been up for awhile.  I’m all showered and ready to go.  Just have to put on my tie and jacket.  Did you guys eat yet?”

“No,” said Howie, “we wanted to see what you wanted.  Do you want some breakfast or are you too nervous to eat?”

”How many times do I have to keep telling you?  I’m not nervous.  But man, if you guys keep insisting that I am, you’ll probably make me that way.  So knock it off.”

AJ looked at Howie.  “I don’t know what he said.  Is he hungry or not?”

“Yeah, I’m hungry,” said Nick.

“Come with us then,” said AJ.  He led him along the hall to the elevators.  “I gotta say, that Leighanne is really something.”

“What do you mean?” asked Nick.

“You’ll see,” said AJ.  They descended to the mezzanine level and walked up the hall to a door marked Peachtree Room.  He opened the door and motioned Nick inside. 

“Holy Jeez, what’s all this?” asked Nick.  Brian and Kevin were inside, along with the five security guys.

“It’s your Stag Party,” laughed AJ.

“What?”

“Yeah,” added Howie.  “Because it was a secret and all, we couldn’t have a stag party for you.  So you’re getting a stag breakfast.”

Nick looked around.  “Dancing girls in the orange juice?”

“Nah,” said AJ.  “Remember, Leighanne organized this.  It’s just food.”  He looked over at Brian, hoping he wouldn’t be offended.  He wasn’t.  He was proud of his wife.

“It’s Leighanne’s way of getting you organized,” drawled Kevin.  “This way, she knows we’ve all had something to eat, just in case someone had a little too much of something else last night…”  He made a drinking motion with his hand.  The other three shook their head.  Nope.  “…and it gets a whole bunch of us in one place to make sure young Mr. Getting Married This Morning makes it to the church on time.”

“I’m getting married in the morning…”  AJ started to sing.

“Ding, dong, the bells are gonna chime…”  Brian joined in.

“Pull out the stopper and let’s have a whopper…”  AJ fanned his hand out, inviting all the others to join in.  They did.  “But get me to the church on time.”

The men pulled up chairs amid laughter.  Howie wondered aloud if maybe Burger King would like that for their new theme song, “…what with the whopper and all…” and they settled down to eat a hearty breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Want some champagne and orange juice, Abby?”

Abby looked in the mirror.  She didn’t dare move her face.  She was having her makeup done.  “I thought you made a ‘no drinking’ rule,” she said through clenched teeth.

“Aw, hell, that’s just for the boys,” said Kristin, following Leighanne into the room with a tray.  “'Cause they’re not smart enough to know when to stop.”

Abby had been up since dawn.  She was an early riser most days and she woke even earlier today.  It made sense, she guessed.  Who would sleep in on their wedding day?  She was showered and sitting with a cup of tea in the kitchen when Brian and Kevin blew through, grabbing a quick cup of coffee before heading out to drop the baby at a sitter and then going down to the hotel to surprise Nick.  Abby smiled at the thought.  They had been like a couple of kids at Christmas.  Stop smiling, said the makeup person.  Abby did.

Kristin and Leighanne had been bustling about her all morning, making her breakfast and trying to keep her calm.  They just didn’t get it that she was calm.  But if they kept it up, she was pretty sure she wouldn’t be by the time they got to the church.  The hair stylist and makeup artist arrived and that gave them all something to do.  Kristin and Leighanne went off to get ready and Abby let the professionals work their magic on her head.

“Okay, all done.”  The woman started packing up her paints and brushes. 

“You look beautiful, Abby,” said Leighanne.

Abby opened her mouth to deny it, but then closed it.  It was a nice compliment, meant sincerely.  And Abby did look as beautiful as she was ever going to.  “Radiant?” she asked with a grin.

The three women laughed.  They had joked the night before about the saying that all brides were radiant.  Leighanne escorted the professionals to the door and returned.

“Put on the dress,” said Kristin, who had seen it the day before and admired it, but had yet to see it on Abby.

“First, a toast,” said Leighanne.  They each picked up a glass.  “To Abby and Nick,” she intoned.  “May they have many happy years together.”

“To Abby and Nick,” intoned Kristin.

The three women tapped their glasses together and took a sip. 

“Leighanne, I just want to say th…”  Abby had to stop.  She was overcome with emotion.  Aw, hell, where did that come from?  She fanned her hand in front of her, trying to force the tears back.

“No crying!  You’ll smudge!” said Kristin.  She took the glass from Abby’s hand.  Abby picked up a tissue and dabbed at the corner of her eye.

“It was my pleasure, Abby,” said Leighanne.  “I’d do anything for Nicky…and now for you.  Welcome to the family.”  She paused.  “Aw hell, now I’m tearing up…let’s get that dress on you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Here’s to Nick.”  Kevin rose to his feet and raised his juice glass.  “My little brother is taking a big step today…a good step.  I’m proud of him.”

To Nick.  To Nick.  Glasses clinked against coffee cups.

Brian went next.  “I wish you the happiness I’ve got, Nick.  And I wish you a bunch of little Nickys running around before long.  To Nick.”

To Nick.  To Nick.

Howie stood up.  “I wish you all the best, Nick.  I’ve seen a real change in you since you met Abby. I like it a lot.  You’ve become a man.  Take good care of her.”

“I will,” said Nick.

“To Nick,” said Howie.  To Nick.  To Nick.  They all looked at AJ.

“I wish you’d all stop being so damn sentimental and pass the pancakes,” he said. 

“Boo!  Hiss!” said Brian.  The others chuckled.

“Seriously,” said AJ, rising to his feet and lifting his glass.  “You proved us all wrong.  You got a girl with class.  Be good to her.  Or I’ll kick your ass.”

“Hey, a poem!” said Howie, and they all laughed.

“To Nick.”

To Nick.  To Nick.

“Okay, y’all.  Finish up.  The cars are arriving in twenty minutes.  We don’t dare be late,” said Kevin, who had received three separate admonitions about it this morning, one from Kristin and two from Leighanne.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Well?”  Abby asked tentatively.  She turned to face Kristin and Leighanne.

“Oh, Abby, it’s perfect,” said Kristin.  Leighanne nodded her agreement.

“Here are the flowers,” said Leighanne, lifting the lid off a box. 

“Oh, Leighanne, they’re gorgeous,” said Abby, taking the bouquet from her.  It was two orchids, nestled together.  Very simple.  Very elegant.

“We’re gonna need more tissues,” said Kristin, reaching for the box on the dresser. 

Leighanne turned her head to the doorway.  “The car’s here.”

“Um…do you think you could…take a picture of us?” Abby asked Kristin.  “And us?”  She motioned to Leighanne.

“Sure,” said Kristin, “but first you alone.”

Leighanne went to let the chauffeur in and Kristin photographed Abby.  “Here…now over here…now sitting…good…tip up your chin.”

When Leighanne came back, they took turns photographing each other in pairs.  Then they asked the chauffeur to take a couple of all three of them together.

“This is great,” said Abby.  “This was a really wonderful morning and I’m glad I got pictures of it.”

“Try and keep them off the Internet,” said Kristin.

“Of course,” said Abby, “I’d never do anything like that.”

Leighanne shook her head.  “No, you wouldn’t do it, but someone you trust would.”  Abby raised her eyebrows.

“Believe us,” said Kristin.  “You’ll share those with just a few close friends and the next thing you know…”

Abby nodded her head.  “I guess so.  The invitation to the engagement party got scanned and uploaded.”  She paused.  “I wonder if anyone’s getting pictures of Nick’s breakfast party.”

Leighanne and Kristin burst out laughing.  “Oh yeah, no problem.  Kevin’ll take care of that.  Probably video too.”

The three women looked at each other.  It was time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“And one more of the groom and the best man…”  AJ was wielding the digital camera, while Kevin moved the camcorder around.

“You better finish up,” said Howie, looking at his watch.  “We don’t want to be late.  The drivers are waiting.  Security’s ready.”

The five men looked at each other.  It was time.