- Text Size +
Grace moved to the kitchen area.  She opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water.  She held it up and Nick nodded.  Grace tossed him the bottle and pulled a second one out for herself.

“Well, anyway,” she began, “it forced me to phone my mother and tell her about me and Matt.”  Grace grimaced at the memory of that conversation.

"You're just telling your parents now?"  Nick asked.

"Matt said that I shouldn't tell them yet."  Grace wasn't sure how deep she wanted to go into this conversational well.

"Why not?" Nick figured it was obvious, but wanted to hear her say it.

"I think he thought I'd go back to him..." 

Nick nodded.  That was what he expected.  But he was surprised by her next words.

"...that I wouldn't be able to survive without him."

Not survive without him?  Jeez, what an ego the guy had.  Nick couldn't believe it.  "Did you always do what Matt said?"

“Yeah, for awhile.”  Grace’s eyes went far away for a moment.  Then she gave her head a small shake and looked directly at Nick.  “But I think I was learning that I didn’t have to and that I didn’t want to.  That’s why I’ve had no second thoughts about it.”

"None at all?"  Nick thought that sounded a little strange.

"Well, I have had my mind occupied elsewhere," she grinned and then froze as a shadow crossed his face.  "What's wrong?  What did I say?"

"Nothing, I was just thinking about something Kevin said."

"Ah, the all-knowing one!  What did he say?"  Grace didn't think Nick realized it, but his conversations were peppered with 'Kevin says'.

Nick told her what Kevin had said about him being Rebound Guy and that he would lose either way.

"And what does Nick say?" asked Grace defensively.

"Nick says he wants to see where this goes because he's having a really good time with you.  Okay?  That's what Nick says.  What does Grace say?"

"Grace says she wishes you would stop saying 'Kevin says'."

"Well, I'll stop doing that if you stop saying 'Matt says'.

They glared at each other for a moment, both knowing that the other had a point.

"Are we about to have a fight?" asked Nick.

"I hope not," said Grace.

"Me too," he replied, "Because, frankly, I'd rather be kissing you."  He stepped toward her and leaned down to kiss her.

"Yes, much better idea!" she murmured and reached her arms around his neck.  He pulled her to her feet and kissed her for a long time.  Then he held her head against his chest and they swayed back and forth together.

"Let's go eat," he said.  "I called Antonio's for a reservation."

"Oh, I hate eating there," she pouted.  They laughed.  She added, "Who's on the desk downstairs?"

"Gary.  That's how I got to do my little phone surprise thing.  I explained it to him and he let me come up unannounced.  Why?"

Grace pointed at a gift-wrapped box on the counter.  Pink kittens and bears smiled back at Nick.

"Jermaine's wife had a baby girl last Sunday.  It's a present."

"A book, right?!" guessed Nick.

"Yes, of course," said Grace, "and a cute little outfit too."

When they stepped off the elevator, Grace stopped and said, "Oh!"

Nick looked up to see what Grace was looking at.  There was someone new behind the desk, a tall, well-muscled black man.

"Nick, would you mind terribly?" she looked up at him, "That's Jermaine."  She handed him her apartment keys.  "Could you go up and get the gift?"

"Sure," he laughed, "But I'm telling you, that's not the guy that was there before."  He stepped back onto the elevator.

Grace made her way to the desk.  "Congratulations, Jermaine," she called out. 

Jermaine looked up with a big, beaming smile that touched every part of his face.  He stood up and shook her outstretched hand.  "Thanks, Ms. Barrett."

"Do you have a picture of her?"

"I sure do," he grinned, and pulled open a drawer on the desk to reveal an envelope from Fotomart. He proudly laid three pictures on the counter.  Grace looked down at a tiny pink bundle with huge, dark eyes.

"She's beautiful," Grace whispered.  "What's her name?"

"She's named after her grandmothers - Latoya Henrietta Wilson," he finished proudly.

"Sounds like a good strong name to grow up with," Grace said.

"Thank you, Ms. Barrett.  And wasn't I just the worst kind of fool going on and on about wanting a boy?"  He looked down at the pictures and shook his head.  "Just the worst kind of fool."

A 'ding' signaled the arrival of the elevator.  Nick stepped off and came to the counter.  Grace introduced the two men and presented the gift.  She told him to take it home and open it with his wife and baby.

"That will be great," he said.  "I'm only here for a couple of hours.  Gary had something he needed to do and he was great about covering for me last week."  He gathered up the photos and replaced them carefully in the envelope.

Outside, Grace insisted they walk to the restaurant.  It's only a couple of blocks, she said, and it's a lovely evening.  Nick fed some coins into the parking meter and they walked slowly up the street.


******************************


"So, if you've told your parents, does that mean that Matt is definitely history?" asked Nick spooning up a large mouthful of spaghetti.

"Yep, uh huh," muttered Grace around a bite of garlic bread.  She didn't mind discussing Matt with Nick, but she wasn't ready to discuss other things.  Things he needed to know...or maybe he didn't, but maybe she needed to tell him.  Or maybe she didn't.

"Does he get that - that he is history?" Nick continued, after swallowing.

Grace shrugged.  "Hard to say.  He's used to getting his own way."

Nick looked at her thoughtfully.   "Do you think he'll give up?"

"Eventually," said Grace.  Then she smiled, "I'm sure he can do lots better than me."

Nick picked up her hand and squeezed it.  "Not in this lifetime," he replied.


******************************


After dinner, they walked slowly back.

"I can't wait until you don't have those crutches.  I really want to hold your hand," Nick sighed.

Grace smiled, "Me too!"

They passed Petey, coming up the sidewalk with the empty pizza bag in one hand.  He had car keys in the other and was heading for the distinctive red and green Volkswagen with Antonio's written on the side.  Inside were stacked several more pizza bags.  Petey nodded to them.  "Ms. Barrett, uh...Nick."

"Hey, Petey!" Nick nodded back, but Grace said nothing.  She was looking past him to where Matt Lowry was sitting on a bench outside her building, tossing his car keys from one hand to the other impatiently.  He stood up as he saw them approach.

"Evening, Grace!"  He looked Nick up and down and turned away from him dismissively. "I see you've still got your boy toy."

"Matt!"  Grace was outraged.  "How dare you?"

"I dare because I am tired of waiting for you to come to your senses.  You said you needed time and I've given it to you."

"I don't need any more time, Matt.  We're through.  I don't know how to make it clearer.  I told you the other day."

"Grace, you're not thinking straight."  A note of pleading crept into his voice.  "Who is going to take care of you, this...this kid?"  He flipped his hand in Nick's direction.

Nick's jaw was set so firmly that his lips were white.  His hands were clenched into fists.  Anyone who knew him well would have recognized the look in his eye as dangerous.

"I can take care of myself!" insisted Grace, starting past Matt toward the door.

"Oh, yeah?!  Well, what about...?" and he leaned down and whispered something in her ear.

Grace recoiled from him and her eyes filled with tears.  "Go away, Matt," she murmured.  "Leave me alone."

"You heard her," said Nick, "Go away and leave her alone."

Matt reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out a card.  "Yeah, well when she flips out on you, give me a call."  He slapped the card against Nick's chest.

Nick's hands came up and he shoved Matt hard.  Then he braced his feet and raised his fists.

"No, Nick, don't," begged Grace, looking around for help.  She saw Gary inside, leaning against the desk, watching the scene unfold through the window.  He was smiling.  When he saw Grace looking at him, he changed his expression to one of concern and swung into action.  He came through the door, one hand on his hip, gripping his key ring as if it were a gun.  Nick and Matt were eying each other warily.  Both were looking to take out their frustrations on the other's face.

"All right, gentlemen.  Let's break this up.  You're upsetting the lady.  Mr. Lowry, please get in your car and go!"

Matt glared at Gary and then at Nick.  Then he looked at Grace, cowering by the door trembling.  "You know where to find me, Baby, when you're done with him."  And he turned on his heel and walked away.

Nick's fists slowly unclenched.  His jaw started to loosen.  He watched until he was sure Matt was not going to come back.  Then he turned to Grace.  Gary was holding her awkwardly, trying to hug her around the crutches.

"It's okay, Grace.  He went away.  It's okay," Gary said soothingly.

Grace looked past Gary.  "Nick," she whispered.  Gary immediately let her go.  He turned around and leveled his gaze at Nick.

"I'm not so sure brawling on a public sidewalk would do much for your image, sir," he said sternly, and the word 'sir' dripped with sarcasm.

"Omigod," said Grace, looking frantically up and down the street.  She could see no one.

"You're right.  I'm sorry.  Thanks for stepping in, man."  Nick was calmer now.  "Come on, Grace, let's get you upstairs to a chair."

He moved past Gary and held the door open.  Gary watched them until they were on the elevator.  Then he turned back and picked Matt's business card up off the sidewalk.  He looked at it and tucked it into his shirt pocket.

Nick and Grace were silent until they reached the door of her apartment.  When she put the key in the lock and turned it, she realized the door was already unlocked.  Nick must not have locked it when he got the gift, she thought.

"Grace," Nick began, helping her through the doorway.  "I'm sorry...I just...I couldn't stand to see him treat you that way...I have a bad temper...I know that...I..."

"Hush," she whispered and stilled his words by placing her mouth on his.  They kissed gently and sweetly.  They both seemed to realize that it was not a moment of passion.

Grace backed away from him.  “I’m okay.  Really, I am.” 

Nick recognized this as his cue to leave.  He kissed her again and headed for the door.

"Hey, Nick," she said with a grin.  He stopped and looked back at her.

"What would Kevin say about this?"  She laughed and after a moment, he did too.  But going down in the elevator, he thought that it was no laughing matter.  What would Kevin say?  If Nick had been photographed fighting in public, or God forbid, arrested again?  Kevin's words would peel the paint from the walls.  He stopped in the lobby to thank Gary again for stepping in, but he didn't see him around.  He went out to the street to get in his car and stopped cold.  Running along the side of his Cherokee was a long scratch.  Someone had dragged a key from one end to the other.  Nick looked around and saw no one.  His anger resurfaced as he climbed into the car and the tires squealed as he pulled away from the curb.

Upstairs, Grace turned to her apartment.  Something was different.  She could feel it.  She looked carefully around, but could see nothing out of place.  Still, she couldn't shake the feeling that everything was not the way it was supposed to be.