- Text Size +
Saturday
"Why is your car in the shop?" Howie asked.
Nick had called to tell Howie he might be a little late for the meeting.  Nick explained and added, "Don't tell Kevin, okay?"
Howie sighed.  They did this to him all the time.  It was hard to keep up with who knew what and who wasn't supposed to know.  It made his head spin and he wondered if maybe this wasn't something Kevin did need to know.
But the mood Kevin was in when he arrived convinced Howie to hold his tongue, at least for the moment.  Howie didn't even mention that Nick might be late - he just prayed that Nick would get there on time.
Howie was hosting today's meeting at his place.  It didn't matter that it was Saturday.  In their world, the work week did not run Monday to Friday.  This was a business meeting with the accountant for KBNHA.  Having their own record label had sounded like a good idea when they first thought of it.  They were sick of arguing with the people at Jive and they wanted more control.  They hadn't realized how much work it would take.  And, of course, they couldn't even have themselves as clients; they were still under contract to Jive.
They were meeting with the accountant today to see if they were breaking even.  They weren't looking to get rich with KBNHA, but they didn't want to lose their shirts either.  If it was bad news financially, at least two and maybe even three of them would want to walk away.
This had all been Kevin's idea in the first place.  This was his baby and he wasn't going to let it go, even if the other guys gave it up.  He really wanted to get more involved in the production end of the business.
The atmosphere was tense, as they awaited the arrival of the accountant.  Howie was flitting from one to the next, serving soft drinks and playing host.  Nick had barely made it on time and AJ had arrived late and scowling.  Brian asked him what was wrong. 
"Wedding plans," he announced tersely.  Brian nodded.  He'd been there and done that. 
"Honestly," said AJ, "I'm surprised that any relationship makes it to marriage when it has to go through this first."
Brian laughed, "I hear you, Bone.  That's why I just stepped away and let the women do what they wanted.  'Tell me when to show up and what to wear', I told them."
"Well, I tried saying that too.  But she 'wants my input', she says."  He made little quotation marks around the words with his fingers.  "Like I give a rat's ass what color the bridesmaids' dresses are.  Or what kind of flowers are in the centerpieces.  And I kind of made a mistake and told her so."
Nick burst out laughing.  "Bad move, Bone!"
"Don't I know it!  She went nuclear on me.  Started crying and asking me all those questions that you can't answer right no matter which way you go."  He did a very precise imitation of Sarah's voice.  "'Is it making the decision together that's bothering you or making it at all?' That kind of crap.  How are you supposed to answer that?"
Brian nodded.  He had been on the receiving end of a few of those questions himself.  "Yeah, questions with no answers.  I hate those."
"I got asked a question today that I didn't have an answer for," announced Kevin quietly.  They all turned to look at him.  He had been sitting in an armchair with his long legs stretched out in front of him.  His head was back and he was staring at the ceiling.  The other four didn't even think he had been listening to their conversation.
"What was that, Train?" asked Howie.
"I was asked what I thought of Nick's new girlfriend.  And I didn't know how to answer, because, of course..."  He sat forward in the chair and leveled his eyes at Nick.  "I haven't met her yet.  Why is that, Nicky?"
Oh shit, thought AJ.  Kevin only called Nick 'Nicky' when he was upset.
Because you're so damned hard to please and I didn't want to put her through that yet, thought Nick. But he didn't say it out loud.  A commotion at the door announced the arrival of the accountant and saved him from having to answer.  But he knew he'd better have an answer ready for the end of the meeting.
Sure enough, as soon as the business was finished with, Kevin came back to the subject.  The discussion had gone well and everyone was pleased with the bottom line.  Kevin had lost some of his belligerence, but not all.
"So, when are we going to meet your...?"
"Grace," said Nick.  "Her name is Grace."
"Grace and Nick are coming to dinner at our house tonight," said Brian.  "If you and Kris want to join us, that would be cool."
Kevin looked at Brian.  "Oh, so you've met her."
"No," said Brian.  "But I will tonight.  Really looking forward to it.  So is Leigh."
Nick did not know what to say.  There were no plans for them to have dinner together.
Kevin nodded.  "Okay, I'll call Kris.  See if we can make it."  He walked to the other side of the room and pulled out his phone.
"What the hell are you doing?" hissed Nick.
"Don't worry about it," whispered Brian.  "They're always busy.  This way, maybe you and Grace can drop by for a drink, we'll meet.  It'll be okay, you'll see."
Kevin called from the other side of the room.  "Okay, we're good.  What time and Kris wants to know if she can bring anything."
"Umm...tell her I'll have Leigh call her," Brian stammered.  He and Nick looked at each other.  Now what?
They walked out together.  "Okay, no problem," said Brian, "I'll call Leigh and tell her what I did and she'll make it happen."
"Yeah, and she'll tell Kristen, because she tells her everything."
"Good point. I'll tell her not to tell." Brian nodded. 
"If you tell Leighanne not to tell Kristen, Kevin will know about it instantly.  And if you tell her she can tell Kristen but that Kristen shouldn't tell Kevin, he will know about it even sooner."
The two men looked at each other.  They wished they understood women better.
"Okay," said Brian.  "I'll tell Leigh the absolute truth."  He paused.  "That I was trying to help you out."  They mulled that over for a moment.  The absolute truth.  They shrugged.  Might work.
"She loves you, Nick.  She only wants you to be happy.  And she's kinda wondering why we haven't met Grace either."
"Speaking of which, I'd better get on the phone to her and make sure she's free tonight."
"Why wouldn't she be free?  Is she seeing someone else?"
"No...but, you know how women are...last minute date...I don't want her to think I'm taking her for granted.  And I'm supposed to be home packing."  He shrugged.  Brian nodded sympathetically.  Women!