- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Rose's challenge to me... I challenge you to write a story in 2nd person. (You're walking down a darkened hallway, the lights dim as they flicker sporadically. Turning your head you glance about when a loud crashing could be heard before shrugging it off as the horrible weather outside. ...etc. for example. like what's used in those old choose your own adventure books) The "you" is one of the boys, and interacts with the others somehow.
No other limits cause 2nd person is tough. Fun, creative, but tough.
Chapter One: Surprise!

Today is August 22nd. Your name is Howard Dorough and today is your birthday. A few of your close friends got together to have a nice lunch with you and your wife took you shopping at the grove afterward to celebrate, but as you drive home, you can’t help feeling a little bummed. You’re not disappointed with your wife’s gifts, and you really don’t mind that you’re officially 35 years old. What you’re upset about, is the fact that all of your band mates were too busy to get together today. “I know they all have lives,” you complain as you pull into your driveway, “but none of them have even called.”

“Honey, you know they love you,” your wife answers with a reassuring kiss. “I’m sure there are four messages waiting for you on the answering machine right now.”

You don’t feel so optimistic, but your wife’s smile is so beautiful that you cheer up a little, thinking that there are other ways to celebrate your birthday than hanging out with a bunch of guys. “I love you,” you say as you pull your wife into your arms suddenly overcome with an urgent passion.

For a moment you are both lost in the kiss, until the room is filled with bellowing voices. “SURPRISE!” they chant while you blush at the intrusion of the tender moment.

Your embarrassment is forgotten instantly when you see your best friends in juvenile party hats, blowing obnoxiously on matching noisemakers. They’re all here. All together. Even Brian has flown out from Georgia for the occasion, and you’re heart is so filled with joy that you become afraid you might shed tears. “Happy birthday,” your wife whispers, coming to your rescue, before she conveniently slips back out side to leave you and the guys alone for the evening.

After a round of hugs and birthday wishes, the guys inform you that your wife has arranged for you all to have a good old fashion sleepover and won’t be back until the morning. For a while you use all climb into the hot tub and catch up, because it’s been a while since you all just relaxed and enjoyed one another’s company. A you try to decide how you should spend your male bonding night, the guys inform you that after a unanimous decision to ignore Nick’s suggestion to find a strip joint, they have two ideas and want to know which you’d rather do first.

The first is to embark on an all night pro madden basketball tournament on the X-box – the first loser being the one to spring for the pizza.

And the second is to get a fire going on the back patio and just chill out and relax with the bottle of champagne your wife bought yesterday. (And the sparkling cider she’s snuck in there, knowing AJ would be here today.) Plus, Kevin’s brought the necessary ingredients to make smores.

If you choose to try your hand at the x-box, skip ahead to chapter 6.

If you’d rather roast a mallow, continue on to chapter 2.