- Text Size +
“It’s really not that far down,” you muse aloud as you gauge the distance from the railing to the steep hill below it. If you could hang from the bottom rail, you’d really only be dropping about five feet. That’s not so bad. Plus, the hill may be steep, but it’s not that far a distance, and there are enough trees along the way to hold on to that you shouldn’t fall. It would probably only take ten or fifteen minutes to get to a phone. Really, it’s better than the alternative.

It’s Kevin who takes the first plunge. Granted he’s a lot taller, with a lot longer reach, but he is on the ground so swiftly it seems as if even a toddler could do it. Nick fallows suit, and then Brian. AJ is more reluctant, so you stay behind to make sure he gets down safely.

Finally it’s your turn. You climb over the railing, lower yourself down and then drop to the ground below. “Not so bad,” you say to yourself when you’re finally safe on the ground.

“Alright Howie, which way do we go?” Nick asks as if it’s entirely your fault that you’re in this situation.

“Try down, dipstick.”

You’re glad Brian was there to offer the smart-aleck response for you. You’re not always the best with quick smart-aleck responses.

You set forth into the dark trees making your way with no shoes as best you can. It’s unpleasant, but not as scary as you’d imagined. You’re even having fun with the guys, all trying to freak each other out in the dark.

You’re nearly to the bottom and can see the lights of civilation starting to peer through the trees, when suddenly Nick, who you noticed was the last one to follow – wuss – slips on a lose rock and tumbles into you. You both lose your balance and find yourselves tumbling down the hill.

You hit a big tree, and then hit your head on a rock before fall off a surprise drop of about four feet. Had you seen it, or been prepared for it, the jump would have been nothing, but since you were falling head over feet at the time, you land on the ground somehow getting your leg caught underneath you.

When Nick lands on top of you, you both here the snap. At first you’re both so disoriented that you’re not sure who snapped what, but at least you’re not still tumbling down the hill.

The pain hits you with lightning force as Nick pulls himself off you and you scream as you reach for your leg. “It’s definitely broken,” Kevin announces but you don’t here much because the pain is making you woozy.

Kevin sends the other guys to hurry and get an ambulance and before you know it, you’re at Cedars-Sinai with a cast that goes all the way to your mid thigh. You don’t remember passing out, but you’re definitely waking up, and you’re definitely doped up on something strong. “Hey guys!” you chime through slurred speech, laughing at the four men who’ve all been graciously given scrubs to wear after refusing to leave your side. “You didn’t tell my wife about this did you?”

They all laugh, which makes you laugh, and then AJ pipes up. “Are you kidding? She told us to behave right before she walked out the door.”

“She practically called a babysitter when we told her we wanted it to be just the guys tonight,” Nick added. “No way am I breaking the news!”

You look to Brian a little hopeful, but he shakes his head immediately with that same smile on his face. “Not a chance Howard. This one’s all you buddy!”

You all laugh again, but you can’t blame them for not wanting to call Leigh. That’s not a call you yourself are looking forward to, and she loves you. Oh well, you have the guys here with you, so what’s the rush. May as well enjoy the last few hours of your birthday first. It may not have turned out as originally planned, but you can’t remember when you’ve had more fun on your birthday. “This birthday will definitely be one to remember.”

“Very true,” Kevin agrees, throwing a shoulder around you.

Soon all of the guys are huddled on either side of you trying to hold back their smirks.
“Happy birthday,” they all laugh and then Brian clears his voice and hums a pitch.

Without a single spoken word AJ, Nick, Kevin, and Brian burst into a harmonious version of the happy birthday song.

You listen to the voices you’ve grown to know better than your own, and look around at the four men who mean as much to you as brothers. You can’t help feeling sentimental. “Thanks for coming today, guys,” you say kind of bashfully. It’s clear that you’ve become a little choked up.

“It’s your party, Howie,” Kevin teases lightly with underlining sincerity, “you can cry if you want to.”

“Cry if you want to, cry if you want to!” Nick echoes in his best falsetto.

You can hear a round of snickers, and then all together you can’t help but burst into one last song. “You would cry too, if it happened to you!”

The End.