- Text Size +

Nick rolled over in the morning, slamming a fist down on his ringing phone. Who the hell would call this early? Someone that apparently didn’t know him and his sleeping habits and therefore, did not need to talk to him. He groaned and buried his head in his pillow then jumped when his leg hit the other warm body in his bed. His lips curved into a smile when he turned his head to see her facing him, sleeping like a baby.

It was only when he was alone with her that he would ever even allow himself to think about how he might really feel about Sara. Laying beside him was his best friend, and that was all he had intended her to be. She was never caught up in the whole fame thing, and she was honest when he made music that she hated, even thought he kept singing it just to piss her off. Her opinions of his girlfriends were always truthful, and she could almost always peg how long he’d stay with the girl he was with, even if he swore it was forever. Best of all, she was always waiting for him at home when his world fell apart.

Which was usually every two weeks.

But Nick would never have ever thought of Sara as more than a friend. Why would you ruin such a good friendship with something like commitment and promises that, when broken, would break everything they had worked to build. He had been such a non-believer in love and happy endings lately, he didn’t think he could make the one exception. Even if it was for the one who had always exceeded his expectations.

Maybe all it boiled down to was fear of rejection. Especially from her.

Nick smiled and gently eased his fingers down the side of her face, lacing them through her hair, down her back and down her side. Something about the way the sunlight was easing into the blinds in the back of his bus cast a certain beautiful glow about her face. Could he really see himself waking up every morning next to her?

“Whaaaaaatttt?” Sara groaned, eyes still closed, startling Nick a bit.

“Nothing.” He whispered, smiling a bit.

“Nothing doesn’t make you put your hand on my ass.”

“You know I love your ass.”

“Mph, not as much as you love Howie’s ass.”

“Sara! Gross!” Nick crinkled his nose at the thought.

“Well, the way you lick at him like you’re a damn dog.”

“But…” He leaned over to kiss her, “Nothing like I lick you.”

“Mmm, fresh morning breath.” Sara opened an eye and smirked then closed it again. “Go brush your teeth then we’ll talk.”

“I’m not doing shit for you.” As serious as he tried to sound, a laugh escaped his lips at the end.

“No kisses for you then.” She rolled over, pushing him away in the process.

The man whimpered a bit but when his attempt to pout proved futile, he simply crawled onto her back, kissing down his spine and nuzzling the back of her head. “Babbbyy…” With that, he began tickling her sides until her laughter caused her to flip back onto her back. “AHA!” Nick kissed her lips quickly. “Victory is so sweet.”

“I hate you. And I can’t breathe.” Sara breathed out, still kissing him.

“Perhaps because you’re sucking my face off?” That got him pushed off again.

A few minutes later, though, she was curled up against him.

-----------------------------------------

 

Sara sat in the back of the arena, intently watching sound check. A few lucky fans had been let in to watch and so she stayed back, wanting to avoid any awkward questions from Nick’s fans. What would she tell them? They knew she was best friends with him but for some reason, those bitches could smell out who had sex with Nick Carter. She knew they’d find out. And then the dreaded question…

“Are you two dating?”

So far from it. If they only knew. If only there was some way to explain it without her looking like trash and him getting a bad reputation. He had just come out of so much. Now, he had stopped drinking and started eating healthy and she couldn’t ruin that for him. Sara didn’t want to ruin anything for him. Which is exactly why she would never let him know her true feelings for him. She would ruin him, She wasn’t Hollywood glamour and she wasn’t anything that he should be with.

“You ready to go get lunch?” The brunette quickly asked as her friend approached, before he had any time to study her and ask what she was thinking.

“Um, yeah. I guess. I’m not too hungry.” Nick replied, rubbing his face.

“You ok?”

“Sure. Just tired.”

“You? Tired after just showing off in front of fans? I usually can’t get you to shut up.” Sara go up and smirked, patting his back.

“I must be coming down with something. I just don’t feel like eating.”

“Nick, you’re telling the truth right? Because if management is on you again…you’re smaller…” Her tone was slightly worried.

“Nooo, I’m being honest. I’m just not that hungry.” Nick wrapped an arm around her waist as they left the venue and the sight of anyone else.

“Oh, well I’m sure we could think of something else to do.” Sara giggled and wiggled her eyebrows up at him.

How could he ever turn that down?

Or so he thought. By the time they had gotten into the bus and undressed, Nick had fallen fast asleep for a nap that he couldn’t avoid. Sara simply laid against him and watched him nap, feeling something was about to go wrong. She felt it deep inside. She just didn’t know how much longer it could be ignored, but she knew, laying beside her, was not her usual Nick. How to fix that, she wasn’t sure.

But it would be even harder to convince him that something was different. Something that would change their lives forever.