- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I've been working on this for some time. I figured I just needed to post this chapter so I can move on to the main plot. I'm sorry if anyone's not pleased with it. I promise it gets better :-)

“Where the hell is he?” Sara rushed into the waiting room where she had been told that the rest of “Mr. Carter’s group” was waiting. Even though her voice sounded like she was ready to bitch someone out, her face told another story. Her brown eyes were clouded with unshed tears and her cheeks were stained with the ones that had managed to escape.

Brian stood as she entered the room and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, leading her to a chair beside his. “He’s still being checked out.” As hard as he tried, Brian couldn’t get the thought of lifeless Nick lying in a crumpled heap on the ground. He had been right behind him and almost tripped right over Nick’s body.

She sighed. It was hard enough having to wait on the flight here, but to be so close and still not know anything, that was the worst. Sure she had been stubborn and hadn’t been talking to Nick since she had left, but he was still her best friend and she was still convinced that no one would care for him like she could. No one. Ever.

“I shouldn’t have left..” Sara leaned forward, running her fingers through her hair.

“You and I both know it wouldn’t have made a difference.” Brian tried to reason with her. He had expected this. If anything had happened to Sara or Nick, he knew the uninjured one would blame themselves. That was how they were, screwed up but somehow loving.

“Maybe…I just…I should’ve let him play his game and stayed.”

“No, he needed someone strong enough to put him in his place. God knows none of us tried.”

“Well, it doesn’t look like I did much good either.” The brunette swallowed, closing her eyes. All she could see was Nick. His face before she left. How pleading his blue eyes were for her to stay but his harsh voice wanting her to go. Hiding what he really felt. That was the game he played best. It was the game he always won with her. As stubborn as she was, she would always give in to him.

Neither one of them had any idea how serious this game was this time. It suddenly became life threatening.

-----

 

Nick could hear the gentle soft voices, familiar yet far away. Brian…

…And Sara? What was she doing here? She left. Did this mean she gave in? He felt the urge to smile. Nick Carter wins again.

He groaned, opening his eyes and quickly squeezing them closed again to block out the bright lights. What the hell were the lights so bright for? He was either on stage performing some weird trick or under interrogation. “Wha…”

“Nicky?” Her voice was quiet and timid and he wanted to roll his eyes for the nickname, even though he secretly liked when she was the one saying it. Her voice was different though. Afraid almost.

“What the hell…” He managed, licking his lips. Almost immediately water was placed at his dry lips. Such maternal little friends he had.

“You’re sick and in the hospital. I told you so.” Even though Sara was squeezing his hand tightly, she still had to get in her own victory.

“Yeah yeah. I’m always sick. Nothing new.” Nick still couldn’t figure out why she sounded so worried. Wasn’t she used to this?

“Jesus Nick. Grow up. It’s serious this time.” Even though her words were tough, her free hand was gently rubbing his arm. And were those tears in her eyes?

Nick slowly turned his head so he could focus on her more easily. “Wha.. what do you mean??”

Sara took in a deep breath and struggled for the right words, but it was Brian’s turn to speak. “Nick, you have infection in your liver. You’re gonna need a partial liver transplant.”

The young man stared at the older one. What the hell was he babbling about? All he had was the stomach flu. He had been sure of it. The doctor on tour had been sure of it. He searched both of their faces frantically for some trace of humor. It was some sort of joke…

It was in seeing this panic stricken look on his face that Sara finally decided what she needed to do. What she had to do. Because in that waiting room, she had realized something she hadn’t considered before. Maybe Nick meant more to her than she had planned. And maybe she couldn’t help it. And maybe there was something else she could give him.

Besides her heart.