- Text Size +
It had been a few days since Nick had been admitted, or “stuck”, in the hospital. On this particular morning, he was alone. Odd, but welcomed. He was glad everyone had decided to all of a sudden care about him but lately, he couldn’t even take a shit without someone bugging him.

Nick stood in front of the mirror, looking intently at his pale reflection. His reflection with a yellowish tint. Sara was right, how had he not seen this coming? It’s not like he really even looked normal anymore. Bruises up and down his legs were just more telltale signs that his liver wasn’t what it should be.

He sighed out loud to no one, walking back to his highly sanitized smelling room. He was in his 20s with a job that guy would kill for; how could this be happening to him? The diet pills and the alcohol, Sara had pointed out when he asked this question aloud. He had told her to shut up, even though he knew she was probably right.

Sara. She had gotten a hotel room close by and had been with him everyday. Part of him wished she’d just go home. Not because he didn’t want her there, but because he realized he didn’t want her seeing him like this. Pitying him like he knew she did. It wasn’t fair, he had just decided that maybe he would go after her. Maybe he would try to love her like he thought maybe he could. But who would want this? Suddenly feeling self conscious, Nick looked down, picking at his fingers.

Maybe he was better off dying. He had served his purpose, hadn’t he? Taking every girl he could get his hands on to bed with him, even his best friend. Serving as an idol for years, human porn for millions of girls. What else was he good for? This liver shit was just a way for God to finally finish him off.

Nick never considered that God was slowing him down for a totally different reason.

The man was still deep in thought when the door opened slowly and Sara peeked in.

“I’m not dead yet,” He greeted, making her roll her eyes.

“Not funny.” Sara stepped into the room and came to sit by his bed.

“Why always in the chair? Why not righhhttt here?” Nick patted a spot beside him in bed and smirked. He might as well try and still be normal. “Or are you afraid of catching a disease?”

“Yeah, that’s it. Don’t want you spreading your HIV.”

He laughed and wondered again why he wasn’t pursuing her romantically. Oh right, because he didn’t do relationships where he feared being rejected. How could she love him? What did he have to offer besides money? Hell, he wasn’t even going to have organs to offer. “What took you so long to come today?”
Sara looked up over the magazine she was thumbing through. “Nickolas, are you admitting to missing me?”

“I’m admitting to missing your body.”

“We are soooo not doing it in a hospital, Nick.” She rolled her eyes, her heart sinking a little by his response. Of course, that would be the only thing he ever missed. That’s all they would ever be now. It was a mutual understanding, whether she wanted to or not, she had let it go there.

“Damn.” That was his only response before he pretended to busy himself with watching a talk show that happened to be on his TV, hoping Sara didn’t notice the glances he was stealing of her. He had missed her body, but not in a sexual way, more in a missed her presence kind of way. “So, where were you?”

“Banging your doctor.” The brunette smirked, her eyes still scanning the page, fearing her disappointment if Nick didn’t look at least a little jealous.

“I’ll kill him.” Oh, a little more jealousy than she expected.

“Why are you being so nosey today?”

“What else do I have to do?” Nick held up his arm with an IV hanging down. “I’m attached to this room!”

Sara sighed and looked at him, taking his hand. “Nick, you mean a lot to me…”

“Proposing?”

She sighed and rolled her eyes. “I got tested this morning. To see if I was a match for you.”

He swallowed and shook his head immediately. “Sara, no. You can’t…do that.”

“Why not?” She almost looked pissed off that he would turn her down.

“Because it…it’s a girl liver!” What he meant to say was that he couldn’t risk losing her. Living for a months with her was better than surviving surgery and something, God forbid, happening to her. His head began to spin a little.

“That’s dumb Nick! Stop being such a- ” She was cut off by the room door opening.

Nick’s doctor came in, carrying a clipboard. “Good morning, Mr.Carter. How are you feeling?”

“Oh, you know, normal for about to die.” Nick was still taking in the information he had just been handed.

“Nick…” Sara cringed at his response. Some days it was hard to remember why she loved him. Still, her hand held tight to his.

“Well Sara, seems that you are a match…” The doctor looked over his chart.

The young woman breathed a sigh of relief. Nick felt his body tense inevitably with decisions he didn’t want to make.

“…I just wish you had informed us of your pregnancy.”

And with that statement, Nick and Sara’s worlds both went silent.