- Text Size +
Story Notes:
For those of you who know me, you know when I love certain BSB songs I can not help but write a short lyrical story. After discovering and down loading this song last night, I feel in love and this story popped out. Hope you enjoy.
Anita clutched the phone in her hand angrily. She was in the bathroom on the phone with Nick while her husband Kevin was in bed. It was just after midnight when Nick had called.

Anita practically shook with fury that he had called her.

"Nick! Listen to me! It is over! You can't keep calling me like this. I am married and it is over!"

"You can't be serious Anita! After all we have been through you are just going to end it? Kevin doesn't love you Anita! He can't love you the way I can, the way I did.....they way I do."

Anita's heart skipped a beat. She was trembling just hearing her ex lovers voice on the other end of the phone.

While Kevin had been touring Broadway with Chicago, Anita had grown close to Kevin's band mate and friend Nick. What had started out as a simple friendship had flamed into something so much more that had taken her by shock like a rug pulled out from under her feet. She had fallen and there had been no way to save herself.

"Last Friday, when you said it was over.....you didn't really mean it Anita. I know you. You just feel guilty but Kevin is 31 years old and you are 22. He's too old for you. You need someone closer to your age to do the things you love in life. You need me!" Nick insisted.

Anita was quiet. She heard Kevin snoring in the bedroom.

"I'm sorry Nick, I meant it. It's over." Whispered and hung up before he could protest.

Nick growled as she hung up on him. He didn't understand why she kept pretending to be in love with Kevin. They were just too different. Kevin wasn't right for her, he was.

Nick poured himself a shot of whiskey. He threw it back and then a second. He stormed into his living room leaning on the mantel of his fireplace. He growled seeing the pictures of him and Anita.

Them laughing, sitting, sharing ice cream, one of them riding the merri-go-round, another of them cuddled in a hammock reading Twilight. Anita had called him her Edward for crying out loud!

Snarling, Nick picked up the Twilight photo and threw it across the room watching it smash. He began to smash each picture with his pented up anger. He'd show her. He would move on with his life like she had.

I’m so sorry
That I called you
I’m trying to pick up
The pieces of my life
I forgot that we were over
Tell me what went wrong
Wrong, wrong, wrong

Twelve days, four hours, twenty minutes
I’m stuck and you know you’ve got me in it
Broken glass on the floor from the picture frame
Shame, shame, shame


Nicks shoulders slummed as he sat on his leather couch. He sighed shaking his head. Sure he could say he'd move on but both he and Anita, though she'd deny it, knew he'd never be able to.

His thoughts drifted back to when she had first stayed over a full night right here on the leather couch with him.

He had invited her over for dinner, they'd talked about their favorite things. This was the first time he'd really seen her so full of life, glowing with happiness.

"Are you serious? You like Harry Potter and Twilight?" Nick asked laughing.

"Yes! What's the big deal?"

Nick shook his head amused.

"Sorry, that is just not the type of books I imagined you reading." He grinned serving her some sea food pasta.

Anita picked up her fork taking a bite and watching him sit.

"What did you think I read?"

Nick's eyes went over her and he smirked.

"Well, if I didn't know you and just judging from appearance, I'd say, Vogue, Elle and all of those girly fashion magazines."

Anita snickered as Nick continued.

"But if I just knew you as Kevin's wife, I would have said the classics!"

"Hey! Harry Potter and Twilight are classics! Twilight put's Romeo and Juliet to shame!"

"Aw baby, are you in love with a vampire?"

"Maybe I am."

"Uh hello! He's the undead!"

"Nick are you going some where with this?"

"What about me? I'm......I'm the un undead!"

Anita burst out laughing.

"That doesn't even make sense!"

"Sure it does." Nick sat sulking.

After dinner, they went into the living wanting to watch a movie.

"What are you in the mood for?" Nick asked looking at her.

Anita's face lit up with a devilish smile.

"The Devil Wears Prada." Rolling his eyes, Nick put in the DVD and they cuddled on the couch.

Half way through the movie, Nick had noticed that Anita had fallen asleep. Smiling he shifted on the couch so she lay on him and eventually fell asleep himself.

Nick stood up squaring his shoulders. There was only one thing he could do. He was gonna have to fight Kevin for her. He didn't care who found out about the affair now. He was in love and nothing was gonna stop him from being with her.

We had it all
This love so strong
Now everything
We had is gone
If you could read my mind
You’d know I’ve crossed that line

Cos I’m as sick as my secrets
Yeah, it’s killing me
You know that I mean it
I need you next to me
There’s nowhere to run
Girl I can't let you go
And it’s twisted I know
But I just can't take it no more

Nick got into his car his mind made up. She might be mad at him for a little while but she was just going to have to get over it. Pulling out of his driveway, he turned left heading to the house Kevin and Anita lived in.

He tried to think of what to say to Kevin. Maybe he'd just punch him and carry her out into the night. What would Edward do? He'd beat the shit out of Jacob and take Bella that was what he'd do.

"Oh great, now she's got me obsessed with Twilight." He grumbled his hands tightening on the steering wheel.

Soon he would be there and that was what mattered. He shook his head and stepped down on the gas more. The scenes flew by as he pulled up to Kevin's house.

He marched up the porch steps and banged on the door.

"KEVIN, ANITA! IT'S ME NICK. OPEN THE DOOR!" He shouted banging.

He was breathing hard, his heart racing but there was no turning back now. He knocked hard again.

"I'M COMING!" Kevin shouted as he walked to the door opening it. "What in the world is going on Nick?"

Nick saw Anita's furious eyes. Ignoring it he shoved into the house.

"We have to talk." He said firmly.

Kevin stood back his arms crossed.

"And this couldn't have waited til the morning?"

"No." Nick said pacing.

"Nick, it's very late, past one in the morning! You smell like you have been drinking. I think you should go." Anita said taking his arm leading him through the door.

"No!" Nick protested. "I had a shot of whiskey but I am not drunk and what I have to say has to be said now." He insisted ignoring the fury on her face.

Kevin sighed hard.

"Well spit it out Nick." He said watching him.

Nick hesitated.

"Kevin you know when you went on tour for Chicago? Remember how you asked me to look over Anita?" Nick started.

Six miles, twelve lights till your front door
I’m on my way just like I have so many times before
Does he know that it’s me you’ve been talking to?
Shame, shame, shame

If you could read my mind
I’m gonna fight to get you back this time

Cos I’m as sick as my secrets
Yeah, it’s killing me
You know that I mean it
I need you next to me
There’s nowhere to run
Girl I can't let you go
And it’s twisted I know
But I just can't take it no more

"Yes Nick I remember what I asked you. What is your point?" Kevin asked him.

Nick stood unsure of how to take this further. He looked at Anita's face that was filled with fear and worry.

"Kevin I fell in love with your wife. I just don't think you are right for her and I...I've come to fight you for my right of having a chance with her.

Kevin laughed.

"Ok Nick, I understand. Now why don't you just lie on the couch and go to sleep and we can talk about this tomorrow.....when the drinks have worn off."

Nick growled throwing Kevin's hand off his shoulder.

"I AM NOT DRUNK OK!"

"So.....you are in love with MY wife then?" Kevin said slowly, the anger evident in his voice.

Nick took a deep breath.

"Yes, and she's in love with me too."

Anita gasped.

"Nick!"

"Look Anita, you deserve happiness and Kevin deserves the truth. The whole truth."

"Nick don't!" She pleaded.

Nick looked away from her and looked at Kevin again.

"As you may know, Anita is two months pregnant.....with my baby."

Kevin's fists clenched.

Nick stood in front of Anita as a shield.

"We all know you do not love Anita Kevin. You only married her to prove that you were "over" Laura. That's not fair to Anita and if I have to fight you for her I will."

I’m tired of all these lies
There’s nothing but regret behind these eyes
All this love I could never show
I don’t care any more
Give a damn who knows


Cos I’m as sick as my secrets
Yeah, it’s killing me
You know that I mean it
I need you back with me
There’s nowhere to run
Girl I can't let you go
And it’s twisting my soul
But I just can't take it no more

Kevin faced Anita.

"Is this true?"

Terrified, she slowly nodded.

Kevin took a deep breath trying to calm down. If he didn't, he would likely hurt her.

"Get out." He finally said, his voice shaking.

"Kevin." Anita whispered tearfully.

Kevin held his hand up shaking his head.

"Get. Out." He repeated.

Anita stood looking at him. She felt horrible for what she had done. Trembling she walked past Kevin out the door.

Nick followed pulling her hand towards his car.

"Baby it's ok this is good. We don't have to hide or lie anymore. I am going to take care of you and the baby." He promised her helping her in.

Anita was silent, tears falling.

"I betray him." She whispered after several silent moments.

"Baby ssshhh it's going to be ok now." Nick said pulling over.

"Kevin never hurt me and I just killed him." She cried.

Nick moved over to share the seat with her pulling her into his lap. He lay the car seat back and rubbed her back for her.

"Kevin has dark hair and green eyes, you have dark hair and brown eyes. What if when the baby was born it had blond hair or blue eyes? Kevin would have been more devastated then." Nick whispered into her ear.

"I should have never hurt him." She insisted.

"I don't regret our affair Anita. I love you and I know you love me." Nick said kissing her temple. "I tried to let you go but I couldn't. I'm sorry. I fell deeply in love with you and that wasn't something I could ignore."

Anita shut her eyes trying to calm down.

"I am going to take care of you Anita. I am going to be with you forever and this is going to work out." He said softly squeezing her hand and sitting up going into his car seat.

"Ok Nick." She whispered.

"Come on," Putting the car into drive, "It's time to go home."

Reaching over, he took her hand into his and started back to where their love had began.

Sick as my secrets
Yeah, it’s killing me
You know that I mean it
I need you next to me
There’s nowhere to run (nowhere to run)
Girl I can't let you go (nowhere to hide)
And it’s twisted I know
But I just can't take it no more

Yeah, I just can't leave you alone
Yeah, yeah
Tired of all the lies
Oh babe you've got me stripped of my pride
Gonna shout it from a mountain top
Yeah, drain the oceans from the tears we've cried
Gonna break down these walls
Gonna stand tall
Gonna be your man
Hope you understand, oh
That I'll never let you go