- Text Size +
God Definitely Spent A Little More Time On Him


Summary- This is a true story that took place in the Christmas holidays just gone. The characters are real and so are the events.

It was about 9:00 am on the first of January and I was asleep after a full night’s partying the night before.
“C’mon girls! Get up quick!” My mother’s distressed voice yelled from the passageway. She turned the lights on in both my sister’s and my rooms.
“NO!” I yelled back as I pushed my face back into my pillow.
“You have to. Hurry up. Something’s happened. You have to get up.” She ordered me. I heard my little sister get up and slowly make her way out to the kitchen. Being the stubborn one I am, I slowly sat up. I heard Mum and Gab talking in the kitchen.
“What’s wrong?” Gab asked.
“Kieran passed away this morning.” Mum replied. I sat on my bed in shock.
“No.” I mumbled, shaking my head. I picked up my pillow up of the floor and began crying.
“Did you hear what I told Gab?” Mum asked standing in my doorway. I nodded my head into my pillow, I heard her leave and I started crying harder.
Kieran was my cousin, he was 10. He had a disseise that I couldn’t write even if I knew it. When he was a baby, the doctors told my Auntie and Uncle he wouldn’t live past the age of four or five, but he proved them wrong. He was our family’s miracle and now he’s our angel.
After a few minutes my dad came in.
“C’mon.” He began. “Hop up and get dressed. We’ve gotta go.” He told me. I nodded and got up and put jeans and a jumper on, platted my hair and walked out into the kitchen. I was greeted with a hug from Mum, Dad then my sister. We all got in the car and drove as fast as the speed limit would allow. We got to Auntie Steph’s house and went straight inside. What I saw when I walked in was not the usual scene. Everyone was crying, which was to be expected. I made my way to Auntie Steph and hugged her. As I was doing so, she whispered something to me.
“Be strong for him.” She told me.
“I’ll try.” I replied and released her and went to find my cousin, BJ, Kieran’s older brother. I found him, not far from Auntie Steph.
“Are you okay, kid?” I asked him. He shook his head sadly and hugged me. I let go of BJ and turned around and ran into Uncle Danny.
“Hey Sweetheart.” He said to me.
“Hi.” I replied quietly and hugged him too.
I stood in the kitchen for a few minutes, watching everybody. It was like I could feel everybody’s pain on top of mine. I had to get out, I had to be alone. I walked out of the kitchen into the lounge room and sat on the floor. I found out by sitting there that the worst question you could ask someone at a time like that is “Are you okay?” It seemed everyone wanted to know if I was okay, which I wasn’t. Hearing the door open, I looked up and saw Mum.
“Do you want to come see Kieran?” She asked me. I shook my head; I’ve never really been strong enough to do that sort of thing before. For about three or four hours, I sat in the lounge room, by my self, not eating or talking, until my older sister, Hannah and her fiancé, Daniel, arrived from Adelaide. Slowly, I stood up and walked outside and across the road to meet them.
“Hey.” I greeted them quietly, hugging them both in turn.
“It’s okay Sweetie. He can’t feel the pain anymore. He’s free.” Hannah told me.
“But it’s not fair.” I sniffed walking back inside with her.
“I know.” She replied before she walked over to Auntie Steph.
Hannah was definitely the closest to Kieran, besides his parents and BJ. She was like a sister to both the boys. She baby sat them all the time and was just always there, I guess. I sat down at the table and put my head in my hands. I remember the last time I felt that bad. It was in year 7 when my mum woke me up at 4:00 am and told me my grandpa had died. I didn’t go to school for three days and could only just hold my emotions back when I was at school.
“I’m gonna go see Kieran. You wanna come?” Hannah asked, placing her hand lightly on my back. I decided either I do it, or I’ll regret not doing it, so I got up and walked into Kieran’s room, I saw him laying there, not moving. He was so pale, it would be so hard to get used to not hearing his cute giggle or not seeing his beautiful, big blue eyes. I broke down and started crying again. I left and went to sit with BJ in the dining room.
As the day went on, I went back into Kieran’s room more and more, and gradually I was able to stay in there and talk to him. While Hannah and I were in there talking, Mum came in and told us we had to leave. When I asked why, she said the undertakers had come to take him away. We went and sat on the couch with Gab and BJ while the undertakers came in. They bought a stretcher in with a body bag on it.
“That bag has a zip on it.” I heard BJ say. I looked at him and the look on his face was like nothing I’d ever seen before. It was full of hate and anger. BJ had never looked at anyone or anything like that for as long as I can remember.
They wheeled the stretcher into Kieran’s room and a minute or two later, they came back out with Kieran on the stretcher with his favourite blanket over him, and Elmo at his side. Hannah took Gab and I home after that and we watched movies until we fell asleep.

Two days later, on Friday, it was Kieran’s funeral. The day before we had cut out little Elmo’s and stuck eyes and noses on them. Elmo was Kieran’s favourite Sesame Street character. We gave one to everyone and they wrote a message on it and tied it on his coffin. Once we were in the church, the service wasn’t very long but by the end, everyone was crying, which, of course was inevitable. Auntie Steph asked Hannah to do a reading and she accepted. She stood behind the microphone and read the speech that everyone had a hand in writing. After the service everyone went outside and was given a balloon. The balloon was to symbolise that we were ready to let go of Kieran and accept that he’s free. Mum gave me a permanent marker to write a message on the balloon. I wrote:
‘God definitely spent a little more time on you.’
– Love Bella-Jane.
I let go of my balloon and watched it float away. I whispered “Good Bye.” and went to stand with my family.

THE END.

(Bella~ Dedicated in loving memory of a much loved and misses member of my family. Keran, we will love you forever and remember you even longer.)