- Text Size +
It was late at night, and Howie decided to sit out on his porch, to get some air. A full moon was out, and the stars were so vibrant. Howie never felt so depressed in all of his life. He believes in the saying: Behind every man, there's a good woman. He takes that to heart. Seriously. He truly needs a good woman in his life, someone that will love him for who he is inside, and not because of his star quality. His short, thick curls flew through the cool, fall air. As he sat Indian style on his porch, he looked up into the stars. "My God..." he began. "If I could find someone who is as beautiful as the shining star...then I will be complete. If only..."

Soon after he said his wish, he heard footsteps. He turned to the direction of the sound, and saw a small shadowy figure. The figure soon turned into a girl, a very beautiful girl. "Who's that? She's beautiful..." A young woman was walking down the sidewalk, passing Howie's home. The girl looked up at him, and gave him a sweet smile. Howie's breath was stolen, as he looked at her. Her soft hazel eyes were in luster within the moonlight, and her long brown hair was illuminated. Howie's breathing became erratic from the sight of her. Her hands were in her pockets, as she continued to walk away. She looked a little sad, and Howie wanted to know why. "Wait!" The girl jumped a little, and turned back around. "What do you want?" The girl said, a bit scared. "No, I won't hurt you. I swear." Howie got off of his stoop, and walked to her. "Hi, um...my name is Howie Dorough, and I was just wondering why a beautiful young lady, such as yourself is walking alone at night..." "You think I'm beautiful?" Howie nodded 'yes', and took her hand. "I think you're very beautiful. Now, as a concerned citizen, are you ok?" The girl looked up at him, and faintly smiled. "Yes, and no, actually." "Why?" "Well, I broke up with my boyfriend, and..." Howie couldn't believe it. She had someone, and yet the person let her go. "The guy is an ass." Howie thought. "Oh, I see. I'm sorry. I'm such an idiot. I didn't get your name..." "Number one, you're not an idiot. You look to be very intelligent, and number two..." She walked up to him, and smiled. "My name is Mariana Rodriguez." "Mariana Rodriguez..." Howie thought. "Such a remarkable name..." "Well, Mr. Dorough, I bid you adieu." "Not yet..." he grabbed her arm, and looked her deep in the eyes. "Do you have a place to stay? I mean..." "Not exactly. I moved out of my family's home at 16, and I've been on my own for 2 years." "So you're..." "18." "Damnit..." he said to himself. "Is there something wrong?" Howie turned to her. "Hmm? Oh, I'm fine. Um...Would you like to spend the night here?" Mariana looked up at him, and smiled. "Sure. I would like that. I hope I won't be too much trouble." "No, not at all..." said Howie, as he took her hand, and lead her to his home.

Howie took out his keys, and opened the door, letting Mariana in first. "Ladies first, Mariana," he said. As Mariana walked in, she was surprised at the sight before her. "Oh, my God..." The house was immaculate, and above all, beautiful. "I would love to live in a house like this." Howie closed the door, and looked at her. "Would you?" "Yes, very much so. It's like a dream house." Howie walked up to her, and took her hands. "Your hands are so soft," he stated. "Thank you..." He led her up the stairs, and towards a vacant room. "Here are your quarters. If it's not to your liking, I'm sorry." Even though Howie just met Mariana, he wanted only the best for her. The only reason is because he actually likes her....maybe more than that. He knows that he can't fall for her, for she's too young, but to him, it's hard. "If you want to take a shower, there some clean towels in the linen closet to your right, and robes." "Thank you so much. I really don't deserve this..." Mariana walked up to him, and softly kissed him on the cheek. Howie touched his cheek, and smiled as she went in the bathroom.

As Howie walked away, he heard the shower running, and soft singing. She stopped him at his tracks, as he heard her sweet, gentle voice. "I can't go in there...we hardly met..." Mariana is the most beautiful girl that he had ever laid eyes upon. He didn't want to approach her so soon, so he decided to wait it out. Howie stood against the wall, looking at the bathroom door. "Mariana..." He began to reach for the door, but he stopped himself. "God, what am I doing? I can't..." Howie walked away from the door, and headed for his room. Suddenly, the door opened, and Mariana walked out with nothing on but a towel. She walked towards the linen closet, and took out a purple t-shirt, and black boxers. "This will do for the time being," said Mariana. She walked into her reserved room, and closed the door.

Later that night, Howie was lying down on his bed, his eyes to the ceiling. He closed his eyes, thinking about Mariana. He turned over in the bed, and looked at the door, sighing deeply. "Never mind. That's something that I can't be with. I just know it." Howie turned to his right side, and fell asleep. Then, a knock on Howie's door is sounded. His eyes instantly opened, and he got up, walking to the door. Upon opening it, he saw Mariana stand before him. "Mariana..." "I hope I didn't disturb you, Mr. Dorough." Howie giggled a little, and smiled at her. "No, you didn't, dear. What did you want?" "I um...I wanted to talk to you about something." Howie let her in, and closed the door behind him. Howie and Mariana sat on the bed, looking at each other for quite some time. "What...did you want to talk about?" "Well, I wanted to talk about life, and love. If you're uncomfortable about that, then I could..."

Mariana got up, and was about to walk to the door, until Howie grabbed her arm. "No, wait." Mariana turned to look up at him. She had to look up, for she was a few inches shorter than him. "Please, don't go...not just yet." Mariana sat back down, as did Howie. "Mr. Dorough?" "Please, call me Howie. I feel old when you call me that." "I'm sorry, Howie. Have you ever found, you know...true love?" Howie looked down at the ground, with a frown. "No. Not that I know of. I thought that I found love within my ex-girlfriend, but it turns out that she only loved me, or so she said, because of my riches." Mariana sat there amazed. Not at the fact that he was rich and famous, but for the fact that he was heartbroken. "How long have you been with her?" "6 years. We broke up just yesterday." "She doesn't deserve you. Any woman like that doesn't deserve a great man like you." Howie turned to her, and smiled, touching her face softly. Mariana placed her hand upon his, looking back at him. "So, tell me, Mariana..." began Howie softly. "Why did your ex leave you?" "Well, he only wanted to be with me for one thing. He tried to take it from me, but I stopped him. He was just a pig." Howie took her head, and placed it upon his chest. "I don't know why certain men are the way they are. As a matter of fact, this whole world isn't right these days. I don't know how we'll get through it." Mariana sighed happily against his chest. "I could stay like this forever," Mariana thought. "I feel so safe in his arms. He's so secure...so sweet."

Howie picked her head up, and looked into her eyes. "You know what, Mariana?" He began. "You have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen." "As do you, Howie..." Mariana broke away from his embrace, and got up, walking to the door. "Well, Mariana, goodnight, and I wish you sweet dreams." "Good night." Mariana walked to the door, and left, closing it behind her. Howie fell backwards on the bed, looking at the ceiling again. After a few moments, he fell fast asleep.