- Text Size +
It was 10, and we walked to the Maria de Virgen Catholic Church not far from La Gavia. We all walked there in a group. I totally felt a deep family connection while I was with them. A family connection that I hadn't felt in a long time. We all walked in the church, and I was astounded. The church was huge, and absolutely immaculate. I was in awe. We all sat down on the pews, and we each took out a Bible. Before burying my face in the Good Book, I look the church over again, still amazed by its beauties. As we sat, Evening Mass began. The priest's chants made me feel something I never felt before, but I knew it was good. After Mass, we got up, and started to leave the church. I asked Armando where the Confession boothes were, so he led me to the nearest one. The booth was brown, and old world looking. A nun stopped me, and handed me a golden rosary. "Blessed be the God, my child. Never have I seen you here..." "I'm new in your lovely country. I am also here to ask for forgiveness." The nun, known as Sister Lupe Cristina led me to the confession booth, and crossed her self, smiling at me. "Christ be with you, my son." "And also with you, kind sister." I sat in the narrow seat, and crossed myself, holding the rosary tight in my hand. "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. It's been 7 years since my last confession." Though it has been never since I have confessed to anything. "What is your sin, my child?" I wasn't for certain that I should tell him the truth, or to simply tell him how I'm feeling. "Father...my heart and my soul is in shambles..." "How so?" "Well...there's something that's holding me down deep within me, and I can't break free...something that I don't want to be any more..." "Are you...a homosexual?" "What? No...it's not that...For the last 4 years, I've...I've been partaking of blood...of young women, and I couldn't break the habit. At times, I would try and repress my temptation...but I couldn't..." 'So, you're a cannibal...well--" "No, Father...I'm...nevermind..." As I was about to leave the booth, the priest stopped me. "My son, you cannot run away from your troubles. You must go to them, and fight against them." Easier said than done, I thought. "Alright," I said, "I will." I leave the booth, and meet up with the Gonzales family. "So, are we ready?" said Lety. "Yes, Mama...I'm..." Paco began to yawn, as Armando picked him up, cradling his son.

We all headed back to La Gavia, all ready for bed. As I walked up the steps, I see Mariela standing by the balcony, looking up at the sky. I walk to her, never taking my eyes off of her. "What are you thinking about?" "I'm not thinking about anything, Howie..." We then exchanged glances again. "You must be thinking about something...what's on your mind?" "What is it that you don't want to face?" she asked, looking at me in wonder. "Why are you so concerned about my well-being?" She slowly walks away from me, heading to the other side of the balcony. "You intrigue me. I have never seen a man like you before...it's seems as though...you're a mystery...why is that?" I walk up to her; we are now face to face. "I don't know why I am a mystery. That's all I can say at this point, Mariela..." Suddenly, I hear a strange, yet somewhat familiar voice saying my name. "Blackwing...BLACKWING!" I shake my head, then hold it with both of my tired hands. "Howie...are you alright?" "He's here..." "What?" I look at her, and faintly smile. "It's...it's nothing, Mariela, nothing. Um...I'm going to bed, ok?" Mariela still had a worried look on her face. She touches my face delicately. "Whatever is wrong, I'm sure that goodness will come to pass..." "Don't be so sure..." "I have to go..." I run out the balcony, and shut the door behind me. What does he want with me? Doesn't he realize that I want nothing to do with him and that damned Clan? I walk to my room, and lie on my bed. I hear the booming sound of thunder echoing in the distance, then a flash of lightning. Rain began to fall lightly, then it rushed down like a waterfall. The sound of a thunderstorm always calmed me down. There is one thing that I want to know: why am I being haunted by Sangre's voice? I refuse to find a woman for him, so he can forget it. I am not here to do another one of his dirty jobs. Then, I heard laughter. Sangre's laughter. What does he want? I haven't found any---no...he can't be here for her...

Mariela stands by the window, for she thought she heard someone say her name. "I guess it was just the wind..." she suspected. She never gave it anymore thought, as she changed her clothes, putting on a white, lace gown. She gets into bed, holding her rosary tight in her hand. Every night after Mass, she would have her rosary close to her, so that she'll have something that's close to God with her. "Mariela...Mariela...." Her eyes fly open at the sound of someone calling for her. Her body sits up without the help of her own force. She gets out of bed, and walks to the window. "Who are you...? Why do you call upon me?" Just then, she feels strong hands lay upon her shoulders. The warmth of a man's breath tickles her ear and her neck...though there's no one in the room. Mariela walks out of her room, and walks slowly out to the balcony, walking down the rain drenched steps. Howie immediately walks out of his room, and stands out to the balcony. He sees her, drenched in rainwater, walking down the garden pathway in a druid motion. "MARIELA!" he screams her name, but she does not hear him. She's under Sangre's spell. She is overwhelmed by his irresistable power. "Mariela, no!" Howie runs down the steps to bring her back, but he couldn't get through the thorned flower bushes Sangre entrapped around them. "DAMNIT! Why didn't I see this coming?!" He thrashes his hands against the bushy shield, but to no prevail. His hands were covered in his own blood and scratches. He stands in front of it in disbelief, falling to the ground. His hand reaching out to nothing, as he felt himself crying out to her.

Mariela is spread across a long, gray flat rock in the La Gavia garden; the rain still pouring upon her. "At long last...I have got you in my grasp..." said Sangre, walking up to her with a silver curved dragon dagger clasped in his hand. He wears nothing but black pants, and boots. His hair is drenched from the rain water, and his eyes are a solid green. Mariela slowly opened her eyes and sees someone hovering over her. She tries to scream, but one look at Sangre, and she's instantly silent. "Do not fear, Mari...this will be oh, so painless..." He yields the dagger up, and slowly slices her wrist. Her blood oozed out more as he squeezed her arm. His fangs came to light, and he extends his tongue to her bleeding flesh. She winces at his tongue's first contact. His eyes changed into a crystal blue, as her essence rushed through him in a flash. A low growl escaped his mouth, as he enjoyed his first taste of virgin blood. He throws his dagger onto the grass, and rips her gown open, revealing her ample bosom. He straddles her, and leans down, suckling her neck, his big hands massaging her breasts. He then wraps her legs around his waist, as his tongue searches for the vein in her neck. His fangs erect once again, ready to insert them into her young flesh. Mariela lifts her hand up, and places it on his naked back with the rosary in hand. Sangre roared in pain and anguish, quickly drawing back, scratching her chest as she sat up. Sangre disappears into thin air with his pained scream echoing in the night. Mariela weakens, and passes back out onto the rock.

I'm leant against the bushes, hating myself for what I've done. Now I know that God will never forgive me for what I've just done...I was an unknown pawn...again. Suddenly, the shield started to disappear, and I fall backwards, my head landing on concrete. In seconds, I see Mariela on a rock, unconscious. I quickly get up, and run to her, cradling her head to my chest. "M...Mariela...no...what have I done...?" I took my shirt off, covering her exposed breasts, holding her limp body close to mine. "I'm so sorry...Please...don't leave me...you're the only thing that I have now...the one thing that gives me solace in life..." My body instantly became weak, and my head lied on her chest. "H...Howie...?" Upon hearing her voice, my head sprung up, and I see her awakened. "Mariela...you're alright! You're..." I look down at her arm, which was still freshly cut. "What happened to you?" "I...I don't know...All I can remember...is a man on top of me...then he cut my arm...drinking my blood...and---" I pick her up, holding her close to me. Her head saded on my naked chest. "Shhh...everything will be alright, Mari...trust me..." "Howie...I'm so scared..."

"S, what the hell happened to your back?" asked Nighthawk, throwing away a raw chicken bone. "Her goddamn rosary burned me...I almost had her...the girl Blackwing was with...she's the virgin that we need for the immortality process...I let her slip through my fingers..." "Why don't we just go to Spain, and get her ourselves?" Sangre looks up at him, a smile growing on his face. "Yes...why don't we? We'll get the girl...and get rid of Blackwing." "Wait...what do you mean by, 'get rid of him'?" He turns to Nighthawk, and smiles mischieviously at him. "Killing him."