- Text Size +
I stayed in Mariela's room for the majority of the night. I couldn't believe that this has happened to her. I couldn't believe that Sangre would do this to her. Now, I know that I have to protect her, for the sake of her life, and her precious blood. Come Hell or high water, no one will stand in my way of MY own assignment: Soul Protector. I watch her sleep peacefully, her body wrapped in a white checkered blanket. Her hair spilled on the pillow, and a near smile on her face.

I walk over to her, and caress her face softly, a soft, content moan escapes her mouth. I sit on the bed next to her, smoothing her light brown tresses back, smiling down upon her. She still had the rosary clutched in her little hand. Mariela stirred in her sleep, then opened her eyes. When she saw me, she instantly enveloped me in her warming embrace. I wrap my arms around her tight as she cried on my bare chest. I smooth her hair back again, whispering words of softness, subtlety, and safety. "I won't ever let another harm you, Mariela...I promise..." She pulls away, and looks into my eyes. "Who was that man, Howie? Why did he do this to me?" She unbuttoned her shirt, and revealed her breasts to me. There were 4 elongated slice marks, created by Sangre's fingertips. "I...I didn't know he did that to you also, Mari..." "Will it be a promise that you'll keep?" I cup her face into my hands, my hazel brown eyes meeting hers. "Yes. I promise you that no one will harm you again."

"What are you doing, Master?" asked Crow, sitting in a royal throne like chair. "If he is not going to bring her here to me...then I shall make him." "You're going to possess him?" "What do you think?" "I thought you were going to Spain and do your deed?" "I suddenly have a change of plans. I need a fifth to make the process complete. He's beginning to grow feelings for the girl, and that's something I will NOT tolerate. He's grown weak in my eyes, and weakness is not an option in this clan. Take heed of that, Crow." "Yes, Master." Sangre then turns to the other 3 clansmen. "And that goes for ALL of you! Do I make myself clear?" "Yes, Sire..." they said in unison. Sangre waved his hands around the ball, Howie's face visible within it. "I shall hypnotize him with my unstoppable power...Never will you weaken against me, Blackwing...Never will you resist me..."

Mariela holds me close again, her bare chest upon mine. Her hair saded upon my upper body, and her arms still around me. I flip some of her hair behind her neck...her elegant...silk like neck. With my finger, I caress the bluish-green vein in her neck, and absentmindedly lick my lips. Mariela tipped her head up, so I can get a better view. Yes...just like that. Don't move, I thought to myself. Something overwhelmed me, but I didn't know what...My cravings...I thought they had dispersed, but now...I needed to taste her blood more than ever now. I want to savor every single drop she is willing or unwilling to give to me. "Mariela..." "Yes, How--" she gasps, scared for her life, but I didn't care. All I wanted, was her sweet, delicious blood.

My fangs were erect, and ready, my--my eyes were a dark red. I grab both of her arms, and pull her close to me, my long tresses washed on my face. As I was about to sink my teeth into her neck, I froze. I couldn't move. Mariela scooted back to her headboard, holding her knees to her chest, looking at me. "You...you're just like him..." I look down at my hands, seeing them shake violently. My head spinning. My body, weakening. "What---what is wrong with me?" I look up at her, my face human again. Mariela held the rosary close to her heart. I reach out to her, but she bats my hand away. "Stay away from me! You're a monster just like him! You're a monster! A MONSTER!!"

She quickly crawls to me, and slaps my face, beats my chest, and slaps my face some more. I couldn't feel any of her lashes towards me. I try to grab her arms, but her body collapsed on the bed. Her body was jerking as she cried on her pillow. "Get out...GET OUT!" She continued to say those words, though muffled from the pillow, I can still understand the words coherently. I step back towards the door, leaving out.

I sit on a branch in one of the biggest trees around La Gavia. The cold wind blowing through my hair, my soul, unsaved. Why is Sangre still tied to me? I don't want to be linked to him any longer, and yet, he is still around me. It feels as if he's in me, playing his infamous mind games. My head is down on my knees, breathing softly. Everytime I try to be good, or try to protect someone, something comes up, and destroys it.

I have nowhere else to go from here: I left the Bloodrave for a new life in La Gavia, only to have my bloodlust return to me. I am at wit's end, and at a dead end for sure. I don't know what to do at this point: whether to wander the world alone...or to return to the place I call a second Hell? For now, I'm just sitting here, on this tree limb, stuck in