- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just, to let you all know...Ashley and I are, for some reason, unable to respond, to the reviews you left, on the last chapter. :-/ Every single review is, very, much appreciated though! Thank you all, so much!
I woke up, to a bright, warm, sun, this morning. It was another, typical day, in the life, of Nick Carter. My morning was awesome…I got up, made myself some breakfast, lounged around, without a worry…ah, I really am living the dream! Around noon, I walked out of my huge house and hopped into my Porsche, heading to the studio. Living the dream is almost an understatement, you know! I have a closet, the size of most living rooms, and it’s filled with clothes, half of, which still have the tags attached. There’s a different car, for every day, of the week, and then some. Oh yeah…life is good!

Pulling into the parking lot, I started my daily ritual. I stepped out, of the car, and ran my fingers, through my hair. Taking long strides, I headed toward the crowd and entrance. There was no stopping, for autographs, or pictures, today. I, just, bumped knuckles, with Brian, and headed into the studio.

“Good God, Carter, you’re…” Al met me, at the door, and glanced at his watch. “…a whole ten minutes early!” He smirked, grabbing my arm, and dragging me into the familiar crowd. Sarah Lynn went, straight, to pulling off my shirt, as the make-up duo worked on my face…not that this face needs any help, but it’s all for the stage lights…you get what I mean. The familiar hands flocked, over me, preparing me for show time. “Oh…and RT’s U. It’s the tops.”

“Whatever, Al, you know the topics have nothing to do with the ratings, being up. It’s the face man…people love this face!” I smirked, but just received a blow, to the arm.

“We got fifteen, everybody! FIFTEEN!!!” Kevin’s voice boomed, over the bustle and Al led me back, further, into the mass, of people. He grabbed the papers that were being handed, to him, from every direction. I told you…it’s a daily routine. The same thing…every day…chaotic organization, and I love it.

“What’s the topic, for today, again?” I asked, nonchalantly. Al stopped, and lifted a brow, looking at me, like I was insane.

“Dude…seriously…how, could you, possibly, forget this one?!?” We picked, back, up our pace, as we made our way toward the stage entrance. The time was down to ten, and we still had to go over cues. He looked, at me, and knew I had really forgotten. Hey…being a talk show host does not require me to be a brainiac…I just have to show up. I don’t need to remember these things…that’s what I have people, like Al, for.

“So…you gonna clue me in, or am I flying by my pants, again?” I crossed my arms, knowing he’d give in. After all…if I screw up…it’s hardly ever blamed on me. If I go on and screw up the topic…Al gets the blame, and usually takes the fall, without argument. He just gives me hell, about it, later.

“Just take the cues, Carter.” He rolled his eyes, and shoved my cues into my hand. I looked down, reviewing their contents. My eyes widened, looking over the topic…he was right, how could I have forgotten this one? “Alright, Carter, first set…16 and 54…locker room talk. Bring out and then break.”

“FIVE MINUTES!” Kevin screamed, walking right past us. He crossed the stage and I could see him directing the crowd that was flooding, onto the set. The audience looked good, today, and I was already scoping out my…uh…date, for tonight.

“Yo, stop staring, at legs, and pay attention.” Al’s scolding brought me back, to reality. I grinned, sifting through the cue cards, again. “Come back, for a set of 13 and 39…shocker, dude, let me tell ya, on this one.” Al shook his head, like he was trying to rid it, of a bad thought. That wasn’t a good sign.

“Discuss thought on first?” I asked, figuring that I already knew this answer. His response came, as only a nod. This episode’s thought would be interesting…I didn’t even have an idea, for it, yet.

“ONE MINUTE!”

“There’s your cue, Carter. Make it good, use that…uh…face.” He broke out into chuckles, as he shoved me toward the stage. I straightened my shirt, and grabbed the mic that he was holding out. Stepping onto the stage, I waited for the countdown.

“Ready…in…3…2…1…” Kevin counted off, pointing to me. The lights flashed over me, the camera man gave me a thumbs up, and the crowd began to chant.

“Hello…and welcome…to the Nick Carter show!” I flashed my signature look, as I walked toward the audience. “Today’s first guest is 16 year old, Leah Haines. Come on out here, Leah.” Turning, to face the side, of the stage, and watched the young girl emerge.

“Hi Nick.” She smiled, at me, as she came to sit, in the middle, of the stage. She was a pretty little thing…looked like one of the high school’s most popular.

“Why are you here, today, Leah?” I sat next to her, crossing my legs, and turning, to face her.

“Well…um…it’s my mom.” She fiddled, with her fingers, looking up at the crowd. “It’s exactly like the show’s title…my mom dresses like a teenage prostitute.” The crowd gasped, their jaws dropping. I love it, when that happens…pure shock. You’d think they would be used to our crazy shows, but alas, they always seem surprised, by the topics.

“How does she dress? What does she wear, that makes it so bad?”

“She wears a lot of mini skirts and high heeled boots. Sometimes I find her wearing my clothes, but she, like, rips the sleeves off, or makes the skirts shorter. My friends don’t like going into public, with her, because she hardly wears anything.” She looked, very, upset, as she spoke about her mother’s choice, of dress. Taking a deep breath, she looked, over, at me.

“What would you like your mom, to be like?” Switching legs, I re-crossed them, and looked, to her. She was in jeans, and a normal t-shirt…it was a well fitted outfit, but didn’t reveal much, of anything. I was curious, to see, what her mother would walk out in.

“I, just, want her to be normal. Like a normal mother. She’s not a teenager, and she’s really embarrassing, to be around. I mean, I love my mom…but…she’s just…I don’t know. I want my mom…not trampy competition.”

“Competition?” She let out a sigh, when I prompted her, to elaborate, on her statement. It was important, to get full details, about her feelings, before bringing her mother out.

“Yeah. I feel like I am always in competition, with her. The guys at school ask me, all the time, why I won’t dress like my mom. They like to look, at her…and…I get blown off, a lot, because she’s so out there.” Sniffling, a little, she took a deep breath. I could tell that she was nervous.

“Aaaaaaw.” The crowd responded, evidently, feeling for her.

“Alright, well, are you ready to bring your mom out?”

“Yes.” She nodded, looking down, at her hands. I stood up, and walked across the stage, heading into the audience.

“Here’s Leah’s mom…come, on out…Cindy!” I held my hand out, toward the side entrance. The audience gasped, and my eyes widened, at the sight. The woman was tall, anorexic skinny, and barely dressed. Her make-up was caked on, so much, that she looked like a circus act, rather than a mother.

“Booooooo!” The crowd roared, as she strutted across the stage, lifting her, barely there, shirt. I could hear random comments, being shouted, as the woman held up her middle fingers.

“Shut up! FUCK YOU!” Her voice cracked, as she leaned toward the crowd, screaming. “You don’t know me! You don’t know me!”

“Alright…alright…” I motioned the audience, to sit down. I stood, in the aisle, as the woman took her seat, next to her daughter. Flipping her hair, she crossed her legs, and I could see just how high her heels were. How can women walk, in those things? “Leah, why don’t you tell your mom, what you told me?”

“Okay.” Turning, to face her mother, the young girl took a deep breath. “Mom…I love you, I really do…but, I’m tired of you dressing like this. It’s embarrassing and I’m sick of hearing the guys, at school, tease me because I don’t dress like that.”

“Whatever. I’ll dress however I want…I look hot, like this.” Pursing her lips, she bobbed her head. Honestly, I disagreed, with the statement. Like I said, she looked like a circus act, to me, but hey…whatever…it still made for a good show.

“Mom…”

“NO! If you don’t like how I dress, then you can go live with your father.” She held her hand up, in her daughter’s face, and the crowd reacted. I saw a young woman stand, on the other side, of the audience. I, quickly, made my way over, as the woman began to shout.

“How dare you tell your own daughter that? What kind of mother, are you? You should dress appropriately and set and example, for her!” The rest, of the crowd, shouted agreements, as I shifted the mic, towards another woman.

“She’s right! Your daughter needs you and you’re prancing around like a damn prostitute!” Waving her hands around, the woman scrunched her eyebrows, continuing to scream. “Are you insane? What the hell, is your problem?” I had to jump, out of the way, as Cindy lunged, off the stage, at the audience member.

“How dare you fucking talk to me, like that!” My eyes widened, as I stepped further away, letting security step in. The guest was swinging, aimlessly, at the other woman. It was amusing, to me, because she missed, every time.

“We’ll be right back…after this short break.” I grinned, into the camera, as Brian, and Bubba, pulled the women apart. Sprinting, up the stairs, I headed over, to where Al was waiting. “How eventful.” I chuckled, taking the fresh set, of cues, from Al.

“Tsh…you just wait, until this set. Anything on thought?”

“Nada. You?” I shrugged my shoulders, as I looked at the cards. Al was usually a big help, to me, figuring these things out. Overall, he’s one of my best friends, here, on the show. It was him, and Brian, that I was closest to. They’re both great guys, and I liked to hang out, with them.

“Shit, I ain’t got nothin’. You’re the talk show genius, remember?” He smirked, rolling his eyes. Damn, he wasn’t being much help, today. “Think more, we’ll discuss.” Looking around, he watched, for our cue. He nodded, once he got it, and then gave me a light push, toward the stage. “Come on Carter, kill it.”

“Right on, Al.” I gave him an upwards nod and took position in the middle, of the stage. I saw Kevin, looking from Al, to me.

“And we’re on in…3…2…1…” Pointing, at me, he nodded. I, immediately, flashed my signature, standing in front, of my guests. The crowd chanted, until I motioned for them to settle down.

“Our next guest is a 13 year old boy, who feels his mother is too trashy. Let’s welcome, to the show, Jason Lawrence.” The crowd clapped, as I moved to the side, of the stage. The boy walked, onto the stage, and sat next to the others.

“Hi.” He waved, shyly, at the audience.

“Welcome, to the show, Jason.” I smiled, taking a seat, in the front row. There was always one seat, left open, just for me. Crossing my left arm, over my chest, my hand rested on my other arm, which held my mic. I looked up, at him, and continued. “Tell us what’s been going on, with your mom.”

“She’s a slut!” Okay, wow, he went from being shy, to being blunt, awfully quick! I blinked, a few times, not sure if I hear him right. He just shrugged his shoulders, and stared at me.

“Would you like to…elaborate?” I asked, lifting a brow. Wasn’t he coached, on how he was supposed to answer me? Great job, crew…real nice.

“My mom is embarrassing. No one should dress like her. She wears really skimpy clothes, and she’s not cut out to do that. It’s gross, and sure, I love my mom, but…she needs to put clothes on!” His eyes were wide, as he described the situation, in a bit more detail. I guess, for the full story, we had to bring her out.

“Alright. Let’s bring out your mom…here she is, Jason’s mom, Laura. Come on out, Laura.” I stood up, slowly, heading to the stage. I had one foot on the step, when I caught a glimpse, of the woman. Good God! I turned, right back, around, closing my eyes. DAMN!

“BOOOOOOOOO!” The audience got to their feet, protesting against the woman, who now stood front, and center, screaming back, at them. My mic in the hand, by my side, I covered my mouth, with the other hand. Okay, seriously…did anyone have a barf bag?

“SCREW YOU! This is sexy!!” Let me tell you, ‘sexy’ was the last word I would use, to describe this woman. She was in a little read, leather, mini skirt and a read, shimmery, bikini type top. That wasn’t the disturbing part…the reason I could barely look at her, was because she had to be nearing 350 pounds! How did she even get those clothes on? I had to side with Jason…she needed a pair of sweats and a huge t-shirt!

“Mom…sit down, you’re embarrassing me!” Jason pleaded, touching her arm. She pulled away, continuing to yell, at the audience, who just screamed back. Obscenities were flying, in every direction…the sound crew would be working overtime, to *bleep* it all out.

“Laura…Laura…” I walked, back, toward the stage. She finally sat down, next to her son, still cussing, at the audience. “Your son is telling you that he’s embarrassed, by the way you dress. Don’t you care, about how he’s feeling?”

“Well, of course, I care, but this is who I am and he needs to accept that.” Her large arms crossed, over her sagging bust. Did I mention how hard it was, to look at the woman, without my gag reflex kicking in? I made way, over to a guy, who had his hand in the air.

“What do you have to say, about this?” I held the mic, so that he could talk, into it.

“You’re, both, dumb bitches and neither of you even look good.” I couldn’t help, but smirk. The guy had a good point! The two women didn’t think so, though, and they were on their feet, screaming again.

“He’s right about you…you’re a fucking cow!” Cindy rested a hand, on her hip, flipping her hair, again. Obviously, this sparked another fight. This time, it was two guests, open handedly smacking each other. I rolled my eyes, as the security team came out, to restore order.

“You’re a stupid whore! Get off me!” Laura tugged at Cindy’s hair, as the women rolled on the floor. Brian was trying to drag Laura away, and ended up on the floor, too. The brawl intensified, as the kids tried to defend their mothers. I let out a sigh, turning back, to the audience.

“Ni…ick! Ni…ick! Ni…ick!” Chants rang out, through the set, as the audience stood, to their feet. Hands waved in the air, voices shouted, and the guests continued their brawl.

“God, fucking get off me, you fucking fat ass bitch!” Cindy’s obscenities rang out, over the chants. The audience chanted louder, as Laura picked up a chair, ready to throw it. Bubba stepped in, taking the chair away, from her. Taking a swing, she hit him, square, in the nose and drew blood.

“Enough…take a break!” Brian’s voice caught my ear. I looked, from Bubba, to him, catching the look. I knew this coding, very, well…that phrase…that look. Turning toward the camera, the camera tech focused in, on me.

“We’re going to pay a few bills…watch these commercials, and we’ll be right back.” I gave the camera a lopsided grin, and turned back, to face the stage. “ENOUGH! Everyone get in their chairs! Bubba, you alright, man?”

“I think she broke his nose.” Brian shook his head, helping Bubba off the stage. It was a rare thing, for a security member, to get severely hurt. I walked, toward the side, of the stage, but turned, back, to my guests.

“Now y’all just chill, for a few. We’ll be back…don’t kill each other, a’ight?” I rolled my eyes, and headed off stage. Making my way over, to the group, I stood next to Al. “Is it broke?”

“Tuh…yeah. Howard’s gonna drive him, to the ER. So we’re down an SG and D.” Al rolled his eyes, crossing his arms. “We’ve still got one set.”

“Nice…like this episode could get any worse.” I was a good thing that it’s one of those ‘Previously taped, in front of a live audience’ type shows. If we were live, this would really throw a wrench, in things. Someone mentioned taking the guests, back, into the green rooms, so everyone could re-group.

“Everyone take 20.” Kevin weaved, through the crowd, making everyone disperse. Howard led Bubba out, and everyone went their separate ways, for the break. After making sure that Howard and Bubba got out okay, I headed to my dressing room. I’d just sit, and chill, until they were ready, to resume taping.

I didn’t use it very often, because I never showed up early enough, to warrant its use. The girls just got me dressed, as I walked to the set. That’s, exactly, how I liked it. I don’t, ever, have to do anything, for myself, unless I want to. I’m rich…I’m famous…and I get what I want, when I want it. It’s damn good, to be me!