- Text Size +
The Prediction

This is just so stupid. I can’t believe I’m freaking myself out over a damn psychic’s prediction!

How Nick ever managed to talk all of us into doing it in the first place, I will never know. “Hey, fortune tellers are every bit as real as that guy on TV who talks to dead people!” That’s what he told me.

“Are you talking about that John Edward guy?”

“Yeah, yeah! That’s his name, John Edward!”

“Oh, Crossing over with John Edward,” AJ said, “I love that show! Kinda creepy how he always knows things.”

Why does AJ always have to encourage him?

“You guys, that is just a show. That guy’s about as real as the WWF.”

At least I had Brian on my side.

“Why do we need our fortune told anyway?” I tried to argue. It’s not that I didn’t want to spend the evening with them, we so rarely spend time just the five of us anymore, but there’s just so many other, more productive ways to spend time together.

“We don’t,” he immediately argued, and if I didn’t know any better, I’d say he knew I was going to ask that, because I couldn’t say no to what he said next. “That’s the point. We don’t have to do it at all. In fact, there’s nothing we can learn from it, or gain from it financially, or give others by doing it. It’s a complete waste of time.”

“Then why-”

“Because that would mean that we really are just hanging out because we enjoy each other’s company. We don’t have to take it seriously at all, and can just have a good time. Relax and have a little silly fun for a change. Going to the Getty, is like your mom trying to pass off the learning channel or the history channel as fun when all you wanted to watch is South Park. When you called, I didn’t say yes because I wanted to hang out with my mom, I wanted to hang out with my friends. But I know we’ll never get Bri to a strip joint, so, I figured if I can’t get a peek at some boobies, why not get a glimpse into our future?”

I think that was the longest speech Carter’s ever made. And the scary part is, it actually made a little sense – a very little. And not just to me, even Brian was shrugging in defeat now. I looked at them all and then sighed. What else could I do?

When it was obvious that I’d given in, I felt a hand clamp down on my shoulder. “Wow, Kev,” Howie chuckled, “he really does have you pegged, doesn’t he?”

“For your information, I was not going to suggest the Getty,” I said with a roll of my eyes. But I had been thinking it, and judging by the looks I was getting, they all knew it. I love ‘em, I really do, but sometimes I hate that they all know me so well.

We all had a good laugh, and then the next thing I knew we were there - Judy Heavenly, Psychic Entertainer. What exactly is a Psychic Entertainer, anyway?

“It means I’m more than just a palm reader, Mr. Richardson. I also specialize in Tarot, crystals, and I am a certified whisperer.”

Ok, just because she answered a question that I didn’t ask out loud doesn’t make her a mind reader. I must not have had a very good poker face.

“Perhaps you’d like to go first then, Mr. Richardson. Maybe I can make a believer out of you before the day is over.”

I smirked, but Nick full on burst into laughter. “Good luck!” he laughed. “He compared you to the WWF on the way here.”

Oh, that’s real nice Carter. Way to be tacky.

“I know Mr. Carter,” she said with a wink my direction, “but you have faith in me. Maybe you’ll help me convince him. Why don’t we start with you then, and give Kevin a chance to see that there’s really nothing to fear.”

Howie giggled next to me at her calling me a coward, and I elbowed him in my own self-defense. Everyone else ignored us, because Nick was handing over his palm to the crazy lady. “Hmmm,” she said thoughtfully as she traced the lines on his hand with her finger. “Well would you look at that,” she announced after a minute. “An unexpected fortune will find it’s way to you soon.”

“Sweet!”

I can’t believe Nick is buying into this crap.

Madame Judy’s eyes flickered to me as if she’d heard my thoughts again, but she didn’t say anything to me, she just winked and then smiled at Nick again. “But don’t spend it all in one place, love. You never know who’s going to need to borrow a quarter or two.”

“I promise,” Nick said so seriously that we all had to laugh.

She turned to smile at the rest of us, but AJ’s hand was in front of her before she could ask who’s next. “Ah, Mr. Mclean,” she smiled. “Yes, let’s see what the future has in store for you.” She took his hand and stared at it. “Well, well, well, it’s love you seek, and love is going to find you, just not in the form you’re expecting.”

“So what does that mean? What kind of form is it going to be?”

“We are in West Hollywood,” Brian giggled. “It’s probably a guy.”

“Love is not coming to me in the form of a dude!” AJ insisted. “And if it does I’ll kick its ass.” I laughed when he glanced at the fortuneteller with worry. “It’s not a dude, right?”

“Oh, AJ,” she sighed sympathetically, “There’s no need to worry. It will be love at first sight for you both, but I can’t tell you who. No man should know too much of their own destiny, but you’ll see soon enough. You will find each other this very day.”

Convenient that she can’t be more specific. She’s no more psychic than a fortune cookie.

She smiled at me again, until AJ startled us both from our staring match. “Hot damn, fellas! It sounds like I’m getting lucky tonight.”

“No one likes a skeptic, Mr. Richardson.” She said quickly and then turned her smile on Howie. “Alright Mr. Dorough, shall we see what your future holds?”

Howie handed over his palm, and even looked excited as she “read” the lines on his hand – what a crock.

“Oh! What a surprise!”

“What?” Howie, AJ and Nick all asked together. At least I still had Brian on my side. I wasn’t the only skeptic of the bunch.

“You’re wife has some very good news for you Howard! I’ll let her tell you, but if I were you, I’d make plans to celebrate tonight.”

“I wonder what it could be?” Howie murmured.

“You mean besides a load of crap? Come on Howie, you’re not really buying this are you?”

“Way to be a party-kill Kev.”

“Oh come on? Seeing the future? No offense lady, I just don’t buy it.”

“None taken,” she said to me holding her hand toward Brian. “You’re not the first nonbeliever I’ve ever met. Bout you know, I always find the skeptics to be the ones to keep coming back.”

I snorted, but it still didn’t bother her. She simply grabbed Brian’s hand though he hadn’t yet offered it to her. “Ok, Mr. Littrell, let’s take a peek at your destiny.”

Brian rolled his eyes but relaxed his hand in her grip. “My destiny is waiting for me back in Georgia. If I were you I wouldn’t peek at tonight. You might get more than you bargained for. It’s been a long trip if you know what I mean.” Brian chuckled as she studied his palm for a moment with a perplexed look.

“I wouldn’t pack just yet,” the woman said with a worried expression. “A missed flight is going to prolong your stay here considerably.”

Brian laughed, making me feel better about my doubt. “I’ve got plenty of time,” he said glancing as his watch when she released his hand. “And these boys are not keeping me from getting home tonight. Not this time.”

We all laughed. There have been many a times in our lives where one or all of us were responsible for Brian missing his flight. That man just needs to move his family out here already.

“Alright, Madame Heavenly,” I chuckled, “make a believer out of me.”

I was a little confused when she hesitated, but she took my hand before I could question it. Her fingers were really cold – that surprised me. But not as much as when she gasped and dropped my hand as if I were a leper.

I couldn’t help rolling my eyes again – and with a smug expression I hate to admit – but she was clearly trying to scare me, the nonbeliever. “What?” I smirked. “Bad news?”

“I’m afraid it’s worse than just bad news,” she whispered.

Her warm skin turning ghostly pale was a nice touch, but it was her job to entertain after all. Maybe she should take up acting, and forget the fortune telling.

“It’s not an act, Mr. Richardson,” she muttered. “I’m afraid your worst nightmare is going to come true. I’m so sorry, but fate has spoken and there’s just nothing I can do to stop it.”

“My worst nightmare, huh?” I laughed. “Then it’s a good thing I’m a skeptic, isn’t it?”

“Believe me Mr. Richardson, if there were ever a time I whished one of my predictions wouldn’t come true, this is it. I am so sorry.”

“Well, I’m not. This was a lot more entertaining than I expected. And it will be a gas watching Nick wait for his millions and AJ his true love.” I admitted rising to my feet and offering to shake her hand. It was a little rude, I thought, when she didn’t take it.

We all said goodbye, but as we left the fortuneteller never let up her worried expression. “Good luck Mr. Richardson,” she whispered on my way out the door. “And I’m so sorry for your loss.”

When we were all out on the sidewalk and a safe distance from our new psychic friend, I expected the guys to all bust up into laughing fits, but instead they were all watching me carefully. “Well that was weird,” Brian of all people – my fellow nonbeliever – said. “There was something about the way she looked at you that gave me the creeps.”

“Yeah, I wonder what she saw.”

“She didn’t see anything, AJ,” I groaned. “She was just giving you suckers a good show. Picking on the one guy that was giving her a hard time.”

“I hope so,” Howie said quietly. “It would really kill the mood if my good news, whatever it could be, came on the same day as your worst nightmare.”

“Oh brother! Nick, this is the last time we let you decide our plan.”

“Hey, Kev?” Nick asked as we headed toward Howie’s Landrover. “What is your biggest fear anyway?”

“I’m Kevin,” I teased. “I fear nothing.”

I wish that were true. There is plenty I fear, and I do in fact have one fear that is greater than all the rest. That’s what was so unsettling about that woman’s last words to me. I didn’t tell her what my fear was, she would have no way of knowing. Lucky guess, I suppose. “Even if I had a greatest fear,” I laughed, trying to shake myself from my train of thought, “you think I would tell you so that you could taunt me with it for the rest of my life? I don’t think so. And besides, it doesn’t matter what my greatest fear is, because some crackpot scam artist’s prediction is not going to come true.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” Nick finally conceded as he reached Howie’s car. “It was fun though, admit it!”

I was about to shrug indifferent, except that Nick was already ignoring me so there wasn’t much point. “Score!” He shouted as he bent down to the ground before opening the back door to Howie’s car. “A twenty dollar bill!”

Nick was pretty excited about finding that money even though he had a wallet full of twenties already. “Shit, you guys!” He said as we all piled into the car. “Do you know what this is?”

“Twenty bucks?” Howie said sarcastically.

“Me not having to pay for your share of the lunch bill?” Brian laughed.

“No, you guys! It’s an unexpected fortune! She was totally right! My future just came true!”

“Twenty dollars is hardly a fortune, Nick,” I laughed.

“Oh, come on Kev, you know what I mean. How often do you just find twenty bucks lying on the street? It can’t be coincidence.”

“Well if that’s the case,” AJ said, “don’t spend it all in one place, love.”

“Laugh all you want AJ. This twenty just means that you’re about to fall in love with a dude!”

“Well duh, Nicky. Why do you think I let Kev ride shotgun?” AJ threw his arms around Nick and plastered a slobbery kiss on Nick’s cheek.

“Get off me dude! You’re sick!”

“Yeah, love sick. Hold me Nicky.”

Yeah, it was immature, but we were all laughing so hard there were practically tears in our eyes until Howie’s phone rang. “Ok, guys, turn down the volume for a sec!” Howie called over the noise of our laughter.

He hit the button on his dashboard that picked up his phone. “Hello?” He called out to the empty space.

“Hey sugar bear!” Leigh’s voice sang.

We all busted up laughing again. “Shut it!” Howie yelled at us. “Uh, Leigh, honey, could you give me a break here? I have you on speaker and the guys are with me.”

“Aww, I’m sorry baby,” Leigh laughed, “It’s just, I have the best news, you’re never gong to believe it!”

Suddenly it was silent in the car. We all exchanged curious looks, and then Howie gulped. “News big enough worth celebrating tonight?”

“Tonight, and tomorrow, and forever!” Leigh said. The woman was insanely giddy. “Ok, I was going to tell you tonight over dinner or something, but I just can’t wait.”

“Well what is it already?” Nick shouted from the back seat.

“Baby, we’re gonna have a baby!”

“What?”

“I’m pregnant! Can you believe it? We’ve been trying for so long, and the doctor just confirmed it! You’re gonna be a daddy!”

Everyone went wild with the congratulations, and the rest of the way to the restaurant all we talked about was the happy news, but as much as I was happy for Howie, I couldn’t shake the bad feeling in my stomach. As everyone stepped inside, I hung back to make a call before we went to lunch. I called my wife. “Hey, baby!” she answered and I was never more glad to hear her voice. “I was just about to call you.”

“How was Oceanside?” I asked, glad to see that she was fine and in good spirits.

“Oh, it was great! My parents spoiled Mason to death of course, but at least they wore him out. I’m sure he’ll sleep all the way home.”

“How’s the freeway look?”

“Not too bad actually, but I just left. I’m sure it will get worse once I hit town.”

“You planning on just coming up the 5?”

“Yeah, why”

“I don’t know, it’s just usually so congested. Why don’t you do me a favor and try the 405 today. You might get home a little faster that way.”

“Oh yeah? You got something special planned that you need me home for?”

“I just miss you,” I said. “Just want you to get home safely is all.”

I think she could hear the concern in my voice. I tried to hide it, but Kris knows me too well. “Alright, honey,” she said suspiciously.

I talked to her a few more minutes and she soon had me convinced I had nothing to worry about. It was just a silly prediction. And besides, Brian still had plenty of time before he had to be at the airport, and there was no way AJ was going to find love today.

I guess I wasn’t the only one with that prediction on my mind, because we were all quiet through lunch, until Nick randomly blurted out, “Come on, Kev. What is your greatest fear?”

“What’s yours?” I asked hoping to distract him.

“That’s easy, the dark. You know when it’s so completely dark that you can’t see your hand in front of your face, like in a cave or at the bottom of the ocean? That’s freaking scary dude.”

“You’re still afraid of the dark?” Brian laughed.

“Bite me, Littrell. What’s yours?”

“That I’ll come home one day and find my wife in bed with AJ.”

I couldn’t help it. I laughed at that one. So did everyone else. “Uh, then don’t ever come home early on Wednesday afternoons, Bri.” AJ teased and we all laughed again.

Our conversation quickly turned to the slightly disturbing relationship AJ seemed to have with Brian’s wife, and my unsettling prediction was all but forgotten. That is, until we walked out of the restaurant after lunch and there was a woman selling a littler of basset hound puppies on the side walk.

“If he pees in my car, AJ you’re a dead man!” Howie threatened as he headed down the 405 toward LAX to drop Brian off at the airport early. The man was extra anal about making it on time today – determined not to miss his flight.

“I can’t believe you bought that thing from a lady right off the street,” I said, frowning my disapproval through the rear view mirror as AJ let the puppy lick his chin raw.

“Aww, I just couldn’t help myself. I mean look at the little guy! He’s just so cute I had to take him home. And look, he likes me too!”

“Yeah,” Nick laughed. “It was love at first sight. I’m sure you too will make each other very happy.”

Nick laughed at himself for a moment before catching up to the rest of us, and then suddenly he didn’t find it all that funny anymore. “Not in the form you expected,” he muttered.

“All the predictions have come true,” Howie said, fear creeping into his voice.

Everyone looked at me with a worried expression and that’s when I realized I was starting to sweat. It was impossible. No one could predict the future. Especially not Madame, read your palm for fifteen bucks. Certified whisperer my ass.

And yet I was scared. I wouldn’t admit it to the guys, but I was scared. I sat there in the passenger seat thinking of my worst nightmare, and suddenly my hands started to shake. I actually jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder. “Don’t sweat it Kev,” Brian said, and I hated that he seemed completely serious. “Mine didn’t come true. We’re only fifteen minutes away from the airport. There’s no way I’ll miss my flight.”

Even with his reassuring words, I couldn’t help dialing my wife’s number again. “Hey baby, you alright?” I asked when she answered the phone.

“Great actually. You were right about the 405, there’s been no traffic whatsoever! I’m actually passing the airport already.”

“Good,” I said, shaking off my worry. “Well you’ll actually beat me home then. I’m still with the guys; we’re on our way to drop Brian at the airport. We’ll actually pass each other her in a few.”

“Ok, I’ll see you when you get home then. Kev, honey? Is everything ok?”

“Yeah, everything’s fine. Just be safe. I’ll see you soon.”

When I hung up the phone I was met with a bunch of sympathetic looks. I guess they all know what my biggest fear is now. “She’ll be fine,” Howie said quietly.

“Of course she will,” Brian agreed, “I mean it was just a stupid fortune-teller anyway. Like the WWF remember?”

“Yeah, and like Nicky said,” AJ added, pulling his new found love away from his face. “Brian’s didn’t come true either.”

We were all quiet for a minute, tension and fear in the air so think I’m surprised it didn’t choke the puppy, and that’s when I realized what was going on.

“This is just so stupid. I can’t believe I’m freaking myself out over a damn psychic’s prediction!”

I yell it, and it takes a minute for anyone to do or say anything, but finally Nick lets a giggle pass and the next thing we know we’re all laughing. “You’re right,” Brian says. “We’re all just being ridiculous! A psychic?”

“I agree with Kev,” Howie chimes in through his giggles. “No more letting Nick pick the activity!” And then he says a word very uncharacteristic for Sweet D.

Howie slams on the breaks and comes to a stop just in time not to hit the car in front of him. The car behind us follows this pattern, but the two cars in the lane next to us are not quite as fortunate. Once we all catch our breaths, we look around surprised by the sudden parking lot around us.

We look ahead of us, but as far as we can see, maybe three miles up the road, everyone is stopped. Whatever caused the hold up must be up near the airport. Within minutes, traffic stops passing us on the other side of the freeway as well. It’s a little surreal to see any freeway in Los Angeles completely empty. It can only mean one thing. “The accident must have shut down both sides of the freeway,” Nick muses, noticing the same thing I’m looking at.

“Great!” Brian grumbles. “If it’s that bad, then we’re gonna be stuck here for hours. There goes my flight home!”

I don’t stop to look at the worried looks I’m sure the guys are giving me. I don’t hear the dead silence in the car. My mind is focused on one thing, and one thing alone. I pick up my phone and hit my speed dial.

I wait nervously through one ring and then two. On the fourth ring I finally hear her voice. “Hi. You’ve reached Kristin. I’m sorry I couldn’t get to my phone, but leave me a message and I’ll get back to you just as soon as I can. Have a great day! Oh, and if this is Kevin, I love you baby!”

BEEP.