- Text Size +
Kevin sits down on a swivel chair with a glass of wine and a good book. "I wonder how Chrissie’s holdin’ up…" he thought, taking a sip. Though he knew that she was married to a stubborn Howie, he loved her more than anything in the world. He couldn’t shake her loose. He would give her the world if he could, but expenses are tight for him right now.

That night, he didn’t want to let her go, and that he didn’t want her to be alone.

The door rattled with the banging of a fist. Kevin quickly gets up, and runs to the door. Upon opening it, he sees a broken Christiana standing before him. She embraces him tightly, pouring her heart out to him. "He...he has a girlfriend...a FUCKING GIRLFRIEND!!"

He pulls back from the embrace. "What?" "He moved on...we didn't even sign the papers...why is he doing this to me?!" "Shh...it's gonna be alright....everything will be fi--" "NO! It won't, Kevin..." "Chris, why should it matter to you now? We're together...does that count?" She looks up at him, teary eyed. "Kevin, Howie is my husband...my husband! I'm not letting that die..." "Letting what die? That you still want to be with him, despite of him calling you a whore? Because there's no need in dragging this shit out any longer. In my opinion, he doesn't deserve the title of husband."

Chrissie stepped back, looking at him. "How...how could you say that?" "Christiana, he's a fucking jerk! He treated you like shit in the past, and believe me, I've seen it! Think about it!" "I don't need this shit from you, or anyone else, alright?!" As she was about to leave out the condo, she's instantly stopped by Kevin's firm words. "Think about it. Just think about it, that's all I ask. He never loved you...you were his dime piece, a trophy to make him look good. You are more than that, Christiana...I know you're more than that..."

She turns around, looking down at the carpeted floor. "You...you really mean that?" He walks toward her, holding the sides of her arms. "More than life itself, Chris...I love you." No longer crying, she looks up at him with a smile that he first fell in love with. "I love you, too..." They share another warm embrace and mutter soft, tranquil words to one another. "He doesn't deserve you...he never deserved you..."

Brian watches over Deanna and Cassie as they slept. She was now safe from the hands of her 'loving husband'. "That sad, son of a bitch..." he muttered to himself. "I am not letting this stand...I don't care if she doesn't want me to...I have an ass to kick." After kissing both of them upon their foreheads, he leaves out the room, closing the door quietly. He runs down the steps, instantly grabbing his keys and coat, and sneaks out the house. "I'll show him a thing or two about layin' hands on a woman...especially towards the people I love the most..."

Nick sits on the couch with a glass of wine in his hands. Though years ago when he went to rehab for his drinking problem, he couldn't shake the habit loose. First, it would be a glass or two of wine. Then 4 glasses...then, when he wanted to go the extra mile, the whole damn bottle. "Damn Deanna....cheating on me...the fuck does she think she is?" He puts the glass down and washes his hands over his face. Rethinking of the evenings' events, he knew surely that what he did was right. After all, in his surly mind, Deanna deserved that blow. "Open the motherfuckin' door, Carter...NOW!" He looks over at the front door, hearing Brian's voice at the other end. "Go away! You already caused enough damage..." "Not yet, I have..." he started to kick the door down, but couldn’t because it was metal. "OPEN UP!" "I said go away!" For a moment, it was starkly silent. Nick smiled for he 'scared him away'. "And good riddance..." He picks up his wine glass, and walks to the kitchen. The glass he held in his hand shatters as he's been struck by Brian's brass knuckles.

He then hovers over him, ready to strike him again. "Brian! What gives?!" "Why did you do it? Huh? Why did you hit Deanna? ANSWER ME!" "She..." he winces at the pain. "She deserved it...she cheated on me with you..." "Did you even listen to what she had to say? Did you?" "She's a liar...she's nothing but a liar..." Brian picks him up by his collar, and pushes him against the wall. "I told you...to never...EVER lay a hand on her...DIDN'T I WARN YOU?!" "Let me go, or so help me God, I'll call the police..." "Go ahead...call the police...I'll tell them that there was a domestic dispute a few hours ago, and Deanna can be more than willing to press charges." "You don't know shit! You don't know her...I do...I'm her loving hu--" His grip upon his shirt tightens.

His eyes changed to a darker shade of blue, anger embedded within them. "You don't know a damn thing about love! Loving someone is not slugging them in the face! You don't know anything about that! You were raised to hurt people...and just for that, she's divorcing you." Nick blinks a few times, and shakes his head, getting used to the new words planted in his head.

"She's...divorcing me?" Nick's limp body collapses on the ground. He grips the carpet, hanging his head down. "Th...this can't be...she can't divorce me...she loves me..." "Not anymore. What you've done to her was the last straw...I honestly don't know what she saw in you...I'm glad she's leaving your ass..." Nick slumps his weak body down to the floor, holding himself.

"She's...she's leaving me..." "And it's a great thing that she is...now, she can live her life the way she chooses to...without you in it." And that was that. No other words were said; no blows thrown. All that was left was complete and utter silence.

It had been two months since both of the ordeals took place that fateful night. There sat Deanna, looking down at the divorce papers on the coffee table. "I don't know if I should do this..." she thought.

"All those years...all the good times we shared...will be signed away..." picks up the papers, reading them over. "I...I can't do this." She sits the papers down, looking over at me. Signing on the dotted line wasn't hard for me. Since Howie wanted out of my life, that's all I had to do was sign myself away from him. I don't know why it's hard for Deanna. I mean, Nick has hurt her in the worse possible way, and now she's having second thoughts?

"Sign them." I say to her. Not looking at me, she shakes her head. "What is the matter with you?" "I...I just can't do it. Nick may have said those things to me, but in my heart, I--" "Don't you even say it. Don't you dare say that he didn't mean it...has he apologized to you? Huh?"

She turns to me, with tears in her eyes. I didn't want to look at that. Her showing sympathy towards someone who didn't give a rats' ass about her or Cassandra. "Did he...apologize?" "No...he didn't. He's been back at the rehab center, and hasn't called in God knows how long..." "You're expecting him to call you? Have you lost your mind? Deanna--" "Please...don't lecture me..."

I stand up, looking down at her in disbelief. "Fine. I won't lecture you...if you want to be slapped around by that motherfucker, then fine. I don't give a damn anymore..."and with that, I grabbed my purse, and walked out of her house. I didn't understand it. I thought that she would be completely over him. In my opinion, Brian is the one for her. He's been there for her since day one, and he's also the one that could help her open up.

"Hello?"
"Brian? It’s me, Chrissie. I need your help."
"Whatever for?"
"It’s about Deanna. She’s not going through with the divorce."
"I’ll be there."

I didn’t have to tell him where she was, because he already knew. For a long time now, whenever something’s the matter with Deanna, he’s always there. In fact, she almost let him in at one point...but quickly shut him out. She has to realize that the one person that she hardly knew, is the one person that will love her forever.