- Text Size +
Less than an hour later, a car pulled up to her driveway. Deanna looked up at the window, seeing a truck parked out front. "Who the hell...?" she opens the front door, and sees Brian approaching her. As he met up with her, he said, "We need to talk." She became utterly confused. "What do we need to talk about?" "Can I at least come in so I can tell you? I don’t want the neighborhood knowing about this." She stepped aside and let him in; they both sat down next to each other, her eyes staring at him in wonder. "So, you’re not going through with the divorce, huh?" Deanna lets out a deep sigh, and looks at him, shocked that he found her out. "Christiana has a big mouth..." "I’m glad she told me. You told me yourself that you were leaving him, why are you doing this?" "Doing what?" "Ruining your chance to live your life the way you want to?" "I AM living my life the way I want to, and I want to live it with Nick."

Brian stood up, and hovered over her. "You’d rather spend your life with someone that slaps you around, than with another person that can love you more than he supposedly did? That doesn’t make a lick of sense here, Deanna..." "What doesn’t make a lick of sense, Brian? That I don’t want to leave the man I love?" "YES!" For a few seconds, there was nothing but silence; silence, and two friends looking at each other with sheer focus. "I think you need to go..." Brian regains his posture, not moving. "Didn’t you hear me? I said, you need to go." "Oh, I heard you very well. I’m not going anywhere until you sign the papers. Think about it, Deanna...what’s the point in dragging this...this ‘marriage’ out, when you have someone around you that truly lo–" "That’s enough!"

Deanna quickly stood up, and got in his face. "Let’s get one thing straight, alright? You do NOT have the right to tell me how I should live my life, you got that? You are not my parents, and I will NOT take that from you, do you understand me?" Brian grabbed the sides of her arms, pulling her close to him. "No...I don’t understand...You need to let that man go." "No..." "No, huh? Don’t you realize that if you don’t walk out now, you’re damned for the rest of your life?!" "I’d rather be damned than alone, Littrell!" He stepped back, amazed that she’s actually standing by someone that hurt her in the worst way. She turned away from him, not wanting to look at his face any longer. "Why can’t you understand that I love you too much to–" She stops him at mid sentence. ".....what did you say?" Brian slowly walks up to her, his hands on her tense shoulders. "I said...I love you, Deanna...but every time I try to tell you, I chicken out, and forget about it. Why stay with a man that will constantly hurt you, when you have someone that loves you more than life itself right in front of you?"

She looked at the papers, then at me. Frankly, I don’t know what’s brewing in her mind after I told her my true feelings. My hands are still propped on her shoulders. Her eyes never left my face, her body weakened slightly. "You really mean that, don’t you?" "Yes, I do..." I whisper to her. "Why didn’t you tell me this sooner, Brian? You would have saved me a whole lot of pain and heartache." "Had I’d known that he harassed you, I would have. So...what’s it gonna be? Are you going to sign on the dotted line and start anew with me? Or forget about it, and end up in a morgue. It’s your choice."

Again, she gazes at the papers, and looks at me, then back again. "I....I don’t think..." "No. Think. THINK about what will happen if you and Cassandra stayed with him. Think of all the more pain you’ll endure again. Please, Deanna...think...for our sake..." My hands slowly glide down to the sides of her arms, gripping them lightly. Her eyes began to well up with tears, as did mine. "Please..." "Please what, Deanna?" "Please take me away from all of this..." Seconds later, she holds me close, crying onto my chest. As I hold her, I smooth her hair back, whispering in her ear. "I’m here, Dee...I’m here..." My heart broke for her...I could feel it, and it’s something I don’t ever want her to feel again. Nick never deserved this woman, he deserves to be alone. I mean, what was the whole point in proposing marriage, when all he does is make her feel like she’s nothing?

She looked back up at me, smiling. "There’s that smile I was lookin’ for..." "Brian?" "Yeah?" "Please, promise me one thing..." "Anything." She started to lean into me. "Don’t ever break my heart...and stay with me..." "I promise, Dee...I promise...everything will be alright from now on." And I kept my word. Still standing, we share a sweet kiss, and from that moment, our souls merged.

I’ve stayed with that woman for a long while. She finally went through with the divorce, and had Nick see Cassie from time to time. Truthfully, I didn’t want that sweet little angel around that man. In Deanna’s opinion, I was the best father figure Cassie ever had, and I plan on it to stay that way.

Never has she mentioned his name anywhere around me; she doesn’t want me to get riled up about what happened 2 years ago. We’re now lying in bed, snuggled against one another. As I was about to turn off the light on my side of the bed, she taps my arm. "Yes, darlin’?" "There’s something that I’ve been meaning to ask you." "What’s that?" "Well, we’ve been together for quite some time, and I was wondering...if you wanted to start a family with me?" "More than anything, Deanna..." I lean in, and softly kiss her.

"Good." At that moment, she flung the covers off of us, and I looked down, seeing a light bulge on her stomach. I look down at her stomach, then back at her, with a huge smile on my face. "Dee...you mean..." "They’re gonna be another mouth to feed very soon..." I grab her impregnated body, and hug her tightly. "You mean...I’m gonna be a father?" She nodded, and I hugged her again.

I couldn’t believe it. Already, this family is starting to grow, and hopefully more bigger with time. I always wanted to be a father, and now my wish has come true...and best of all, the one person I care about more than life is carrying it. I’ve never been so happy, and I’ve never seen Deanna so happy; she’s literally glowing.

Now, I know for sure that everything will be alright from now on: we have a new kid on the way, and best of all, our love for one another will never die.