- Text Size +
“Mommy, mommy!” Damon yelled with excitement as he ran towards me with Pepper, our Jack Russell Terrier, following from behind. I had just arrived home and hadn’t even had the chance to set down my design portfolios, full of the prints that Dave returned to me, before he reached me. They fell to the floor as I met him with a hug, “Hi Damon!”

“Did you miss me mommy?” He looked up at me with his big beautiful green eyes and his messy brown hair that he inherited from me; he looked so sweet it made my heart melt.

“Of course I did. I miss you every day.” I gave him a kiss on the cheek before he ran away with Pepper by his side again. Got to love short attention spans, just like his father sometimes. I picked up the prints and headed to my office to protect them from the boys with their sticky fingers or their drinks that accidentally spilled on the papers they weren’t suppose to touch. I opened them up on the drawing table, dreading the idea of having to come in here later and work when I’d rather be with my family. I locked the door behind me as I exited the room.

“Hey babe.” Nick smiled as he walked by wearing a pair of sweats and carrying a basket of laundry, which appeared to be the boys’ clothing. He continued down the hall towards the boys who were yelling while they played. Rough housing I’m sure by the look of Damon’s hair.

“Hey! Eric, don’t lay on your brother!” I heard Nick yell. Yep, rough housing. I sighed; Eric was only 2 years older, yet he was almost twice the size of Damon. I hated them playing rough, but knowing that I couldn’t do much about it, I headed upstairs to change my clothes. I passed the boy’s bedrooms along the way, and stopped to view the damage. Nothing too unusual, just unmade beds, toys on the floor, clothes not placed in their hampers, except for Damon’s room. He was just learning how to clean at preschool and do chores at home. We tried to get Eric to join in to show Damon that his big brother cleans too, but that didn’t quite work out like we’d hoped it would. I blame myself for not encouraging Eric to clean more when he was Damon’s age, but with caring for 2 boys (sometimes 3 if you include Nick), juggling work, and recovering from a kidney surgery, it wasn’t always a priority.

Once I stepped into the bedroom, I quickly realized how exhausted I was. All of the extra stress at work was catching up with me and I wanted nothing more than to lie down in our bed and not leave till the weekend. I rubbed my lower back, around the area of the scar; although I no longer felt any discomfort from the surgery since it occurred 2 years ago, I still rubbed it out of habit when my body ached. Against my every desire, I removed my blouse and dragged myself into the closet to undress. Wearing nothing more than a black lacy bra, black pencil skirt and red high heels, I rummaged through my clothes trying to find something comfortable to throw on. I placed my hands on my hips, annoyed that I couldn’t find my favorite t-shirt. “Where could it be?” I asked not expecting a response.

“This wouldn’t be what you are looking for would it?” I turned and saw Nick standing in the doorway with a smug look on his face, proud of himself that he found my t-shirt.

“Yes, it is,” I walked towards him and went to reach for it, but Nick put it behind his back instead, “Nick, can you give it to me?” I asked with little patience. I was in no mood for any of his games.

“I think I like this little number you’re wearing better.” He scanned my body from head to toe before wrapping his arms around my waist, pulling me in for my proper welcome home kiss. I knew I was doomed the instant his lips touched mine. They were so soft and tender as they graced my skin; I couldn’t help but respond back to his touch with the same gentleness. I began to run my fingers through his hair, pulling his head in closer just as our tongues entwined in a more passionate kiss. The t-shirt fell from his hands as they wandered down my back, following my every curve before landing on my hips, drawing them closer to his. He moaned upon contact making his arousal known. Every inch of my body wanted more, however I knew I had to fight every urge and pull myself away if I were going to stay on task for the day. He mumbled something incoherent as I parted from his embrace.

“It’s about time Carter, I was beginning to think the laundry was more important to you than I was.” I joked as I snatched the t-shirt from the floor and walked back into the closet to finish dressing.

“Don’t Carter me. I can’t kiss you and hold the laundry basket at the same time, it’s just a sacrifice you’ll have to make if you want me to clean around here.” He said as he leaned against the door adjusting his sweats.

I shook my head in astonishment as I kicked off my shoes, and placed the t-shirt over my head, letting my brunette hair fall down on to it. I could never really understand what was running through his head, and although I was use to the randomness of his thoughts, this one caught me off guard. I continued to ignore his remarks and slipped out of the skirt and into a pair of jeans.

“I take it you have to work tonight?” Nick asked dryly.

“Yeah, Dave has me on a tight leash. He wants me to get all of the plans ready for Friday’s presentation, which means that I have to have every plan drawn, rendered, copied, and matted for display in 3 days, not to mention that he expects me to run everything by him, which is why I was 40 minutes late tonight.

“I don’t know how I am suppose to have these done quickly when he can’t even get them in to me on time. Not to mention that if the presentation goes well, the client still has 3 other proposals to listen to. So I may be working my ass off for nothing.” I walked out of the closet and laid down on the bed, at least I was giving into one of my desires today.

“I don’t think Dave would be having you work as hard if he didn’t think you guys had a chance of taking on the project.” Nick followed me over to the bed and sat down beside me.

“Yeah, but I have to make them come to life. Visuals are the main selling point during presentations. If I can’t make them shine, then we don’t have shit.”

“I don’t understand why you are so upset, it doesn’t sound like anything you haven’t done before. Besides your drawings are great, they’re definitely better than anything I could do.” Nick chuckled; I could tell he was trying to lighten the air.

“You know why I’m stressed. This project is very important. There is the possibility of having the highest LEED certification when completed, plus all the economic growth that’s going to come from having this performing arts center downtown, not to mention the rebuilding of the theatre that hasn’t been up to code for 25 years…”

“Shut up,” Nick placed his hand over my mouth stopping me from my ranting, “You’re going to be great, like you always are.” He removed his hand after I became silent and gave me another kiss before speaking again.

“Would you like to know what I’ve done today? Yes, Nick I would love to know how your day was. Oh you would? Well, I’ve done laundry, picked up the kids from school, fought to keep them off of each other, and got turned down by my girl who would normally enjoy a quickie in the closet.” Nick pretended to carry a conversation with himself.

“Sorry Nick. I’ve had an exhausting day. I’ll try to let you feel up my skirt next time.” I grinned.

“That’s all I ask.”