- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I wrote Nick's perspective in 3rd person, hope it doesn't confuse anyone.
Nick jerked awake; the buzzing from the alarm startling him from his sound sleep. He grudgingly rolled over to shut off the alarm, wishing it wasn’t morning yet. He was exhausted, although it was a feeling he was all too familiar with from his years singing with the group, it had a completely new meaning now with taking care of kids. His kids. The idea still shocks him every now and again, even though he can’t imagine his life without them. Nick exhaled loudly as he stretched his legs underneath the sheets; he had to get out of bed and round the boys up for school. He had taken care of them all week and kept them out of Renee’s way so that she could prepare for her meeting today. He had traded his career for the chance of having a family when he fell for Renee and saw what his future could be.

Through his career with the Backstreet Boys he had his fair share of women, but after his widely public relationship failed along with many other relationships he thought he had with women who genuinely cared for him, he knew he needed to find a different breed of woman. From the moment Nick saw Renee, he knew she was the real deal; she was the first girl he met who turned him down before he had the chance to make a move. He was use to picking up girls pretty easily, they would throw themselves at him, hang on his every word and follow his lead; maybe it was his cockiness that made him think he stood a chance with her. Once he approached her, he knew from her lack of interest that she would completely look past his celebrity life and see him as an average person.

He was in Chicago with the Backstreet Boys, promoting their new album and upcoming tour, when he and A.J. decided to go out downtown for the night while the others stayed in; they were by the way the only two single. He was instantly attracted to her when he saw her ordering a martini from the bar, her long brunette hair flowed along her back, leading his eye down to the curves of her body accentuated by her tight fitting jeans, but it was her smile that made him go weak. He knew he had to get close to her; he couldn’t keep his eyes off of her even though there was a petite blonde flirting with him and A.J. He excused himself from the booth to say hi.

“That’ll be seven dollars.” The bartender told Renee as he handed her the Manhattan she ordered. As she reached for her cash, Nick walked up and offered to pay.

“Oh no. Let me.” He reached for his wallet and gave the man a twenty.

“Thanks, but that was not necessary.” Renee turned to look at him, trying to be polite when she clearly didn’t want to be.

“A beautiful woman like you shouldn’t be buying herself a drink on a Friday night.” Nick worked his Carter charm the best he could.

“As much as I appreciate the gesture, I hope you don’t mind if I rejoin my party, I’m not from here so I probably won’t see you again.” Renee put her money back in her pocket and took a drink.

“Well, you’re in luck, cuz I’m not a local. I’m just in town for the week.”

“That makes two of us then,” Renee took another drink from her glass before saying goodbye, “Thanks again.” She walked away leaving Nick stunned. He usually got a better reaction than that from a girl. He was confused, and looked back at A.J. sitting in the booth chatting with two girls now whom he was sure were groupies. Nick caught his expression, and knew he had to rejoin him, and save him from their conversation. As he seated, the girls reluctantly got up without them to dance after A.J. refused to join them.

“Who was that girl you were talking with?” A.J. asked Nick.

“I don’t know.” And he truly didn’t. He wanted to know who she was, but she didn’t even give him a chance to ask for her name.

“You don’t know? Is Nicky loosing his charm?” A.J. chuckled. Nick scowled at him in return.

“I’m offended J. I’ll get her name.” Nick took a drink from his glass, and watched the mysterious woman laugh with her friends, or so he assumed. She was seated at a counterheighth table next to 3 men and another woman. Nick didn’t understand why none of these men were acting like they were interested in her. Where they blind? Was Nick the only one who saw how amazingly beautiful she was? He had to find out her name. Someway, he would.

Putting the past on hold, Nick rolled over to take a look at Renee, but discovered she was not lying next to him. He rolled his eyes, and knew he had to wake up before she came back to give him hell. He threw the sheets back off of his body, revealing his 6’ frame clothed in a light gray athletic shirt, exposing his tattoos along his shoulders. He reached up to stretch his arms just as Renee walked in.

"You're not out of bed yet Nick?" Renee walked into the bedroom wearing gray dress slacks paired with a black camisole covered up with a 3-quarter length cream colored cardigan. She was dressed for her meeting except her hair and make-up still needed attention. "I can't be late today, hurry up." She continued into the bathroom to finish curling her hair.

"I would have been had you walked in a minute later." Nick grumbled as he followed her into the bathroom. He stepped into his personal water closet and left the door open as he used the toilet.

Meanwhile, Renee grabbed another piece of hair and wrapped it around the 1" curling iron, creating long flowy curls. Any other day she would have her hair pulled up, but today, she wanted to look perfect.

"You put more time into your hair for work than you do for me." Nick whined as he flushed the toilet and walked up behind her, looking at her through the mirror.

"You don't pay." Renee joked with a smile, her eyes gleaming at him.

"Sure doesn't stop you from using my money." Nick responded. Renee set the curling iron down and turned around to face Nick.

"And I love it too." She stepped closer and gave him a kiss. "Now, get the boys ready for school. They've already ate, and their lunches are made, but Eric won't get dressed without you." She turned back around and started applying her makeup.

"That’s because us Carter men have to look good. And he knows you can't help him with that." Nick smirked.

"You are full of shit," Renee laughed for a moment, then returned back to her original tone, "Now hurry up. I'm going to leave after I'm done with this."

"You don't need it babe," Nick walked closer and placed his arms around her waist, holding her tight, "It'll sweat off later tonight anyway." He started kissing her neck, teasing her just a little.

"Well, you'll have to wait till later. If our proposal gets accepted Dave is throwing a party for us downtown, plus the boys have that sleepover tonight, you need to remember to get that birthday gift today for the Pearson boy."

"Damn," Nick stopped caressing her neck, and released his hold on Renee. "I completely forgot about that. I scheduled a phone conference with the execs today."

Renee finished her mascara, "You'll have to figure it out. Don't forget the boys' bags either. They're in the closets, oh and their sleeping bags."

"Shit, why do the boys need so much stuff? I swear our girls will have less belongings."

"Our girls? Oh Nick, you are day dreaming." Renee rolled her eyes.

"We're due for a girl any day now."

"Really? That’s news to me." Renee placed her make-up back into the box sitting on the counter and shook her head at Nick's comment.

“I’m just saying our next kid should be a girl.”

“Well, tell me how that works out for you. I’ll see you later.” Renee kissed Nick one more time before leaving for the day.

“Good luck with the pre-sen-tation,” Nick swatted her butt as she walked towards the bedroom door.

“Carter!” Renee turned around and glared at him.

“Love ya babe!” He just smiled back at her, appearing to be innocent. Renee shook her head again, and blew him a kiss as she exited the bedroom and walked out of the house.

“Dad!” Nick heard Eric yell from down the hall. He had forgotten Eric needed help getting dressed.

“Coming little man!” Nick yelled back, stepping into the closet to get dressed quickly. He threw on a pair of dark washed jeans with a pink and white polo. He grabbed a pair of white sneakers, carrying them down the hall to Eric’s room.

“K, Eric, lets make this quick. We’re running short on time…”