- Text Size +
Nick rode silently besides Renee in the car, watching her while she gazed out at the buildings as they passed by. He knew she could have taken a cab, but he didn’t like the thought of her being alone in the city. He wasn’t sure if he felt protective of her or just guilty for separating her from her friends. He had noticed a change in her mood once they left the bar. Out of respect, he kept quiet, even though silence made him nervous when people surrounded him.

“Sorry you couldn’t get a hold of your friend.” Nick finally spoke.

She turned her head, “Its ok. Luckily we are staying at the same hotel.”

The lack of excitement in her tone stung him and instantly raised his guilt level. “We can probably get the clerk to give you another key?” He suggested. He wasn’t sure what to say.

“Yea, but then I wouldn’t be sleeping in your room.” Her response surprised him, yet he expected nothing less. Everything about her was new to him. He wasn’t use to such a challenge. Sure he thought about asking her up, but he didn’t want to give her the wrong impression.

“You wouldn’t like my room anyway.” He teased, trying to loosen the tension between them. He sensed she could feel it too.

“I guess you’re right, I bet the top floor suite is always a drag compared to standard rooms.” She chuckled. Nick cracked a smile, relieved at the sign of her laughter and the sight of the hotel up ahead.

Once the car came to a stop, Nick stepped out to open the door for her. He caught her arm as she stumbled up from her seat. At that moment he was thankful there were no fans waiting outside. He didn’t want his actions spread around about this. He was tired of the media thinking he was a womanizer just because he was photographed with a couple different women. Nick wrapped his arm around her and led her through the lobby, the effects of the alcohol becoming evident as they headed towards the elevators.

“That was embarrassing.” She commented.

“What was?” Nick asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Tripping out of the car like a drunk girl.”

“You held onto me through the entire lobby, and the car was embarrassing?”

She playfully hit his side, “Don’t make fun of the intoxicated. Maybe I just wanted to touch you.”

The elevator chimed when it stopped at the top floor. Nick peered out making sure the others weren’t walking around. Everything seemed quiet. He sighed a breath of relief as they stepped out, and he led her to his room. Once he opened the door she didn’t hesitate to kick off her shoes, making herself more comfortable. Nick chuckled as she walked around barefoot in his suite.

“Wow! Look at the view!” She exclaimed, clearly another reaction from the alcohol, as she peered out the window overlooking the city. “You can see Lake Michigan in the distance.” She tossed her hair over her shoulder while he walked up beside her.

“Yeah, I like to request rooms with views of the water, although I prefer views of the ocean. Reminds me of home.”

“Well, all bodies of water can’t be oceans.” Renee laughed, and then resumed her composure. “Water scares me.” She turned away and took up a seat on the sofa, covering herself with a blanket.

“What?! You were just in awe of seeing the lake.” Again he was confused.

“I was excited about the view, not the lake. Not when your only memory of being in one is that of almost drowning."

“Well, I’ll have to take you out and show you its safe.” He said, joining her on the sofa.

“Because you’ll be by my side? No, thank you. I keep my feet on land.”

“And yet, I assume you flew here?” She scowled at his remark. He enjoyed this side of her; it reminded him of her banter at the bar.

“Well, it still doesn’t involve water.”

“I’ll give you that much. But, one day I will show you different.”

“Oh, you will? What makes you think I’ll see you after tonight?” Renee turned towards him, her arms crossed. Suddenly, Nick felt cornered. He hadn’t really thought his comment through, and didn’t know what to say.

“Uh…” he trailed off. She laughed and loosened up her arms.

“You’re not very good with comebacks Carter.”

“Not when I’m up against a pretty girl.”

“Hmm.” She looked at him longingly before moving closer to him. He watched her, not knowing what she was going to do. She wrapped his arm around her shoulders as she rested her head against his chest, her hand resting on his thigh. “Now you are.”

Nick’s body tightened. He was now fully aware that she was coming on to him. First inviting herself overnight, then kicking off her shoes, and now touching him while making a comment like that. He wasn’t sure how to respond, he was sexually attracted to her, and it was his intentions when he went out, but he didn’t think it’d be this easy after the run around she gave him earlier.

Without noticing, he started to rub her shoulder. Her breathing slowly increased with every caress. She nuzzled closer into him, her hand lying on his crotch now. Nick grew harder at her touch. He inched his hand closer to her breast, brushing up against it. He hoped she wouldn’t find him too forward, that she was feeling what he was. His need to kiss her grew once he felt how perky she was. Nick stopped when he didn’t get a reaction from her. He didn’t understand why she was still. Did he overstep his limit? Did he take it too far?

Nick removed his arm from around her, and leaned forward to see her face. It was then he realized she had fallen asleep. She wasn’t touching him out of lust; her hands were just naturally falling on him when her body relaxed. Nick stood up and felt like an idiot. A.J. was right. He was a perv. He had just groped a sleeping woman. He watched her curl up against the back of the sofa. Damn it Carter! Nick left the room and grabbed a pillow and a blanket from his bed. He softly lifted her head and placed the pillow under it; afraid that she would wake up, that she would realize what just happened. He never felt more embarrassed as he draped the blanket over her. He stepped back and cursed himself once more before retiring to his bed for the evening.

He woke up the next morning, still feeling embarrassed about the night before. He hoped she didn’t remember any of it. He rolled out of bed, and headed towards the other room where she was sleeping. He flattened his hair back down, nervous about her reaction to his appearance of him in his pjs. He took a deep breath before he exited the room, and stopped short when he noticed the sofa was empty. He sighed, damn! Where did she go? Nick looked around the room and noticed her shoes were missing. Did she leave already? He knew she had meetings to go to this morning, but he thought he’d see her before she left. He walked to the door and noticed it was unlocked. He relocked it and turned around. Still shocked that she was gone. He at least wanted to buy her breakfast. He picked up the blanket as he sat down on the sofa. He wondered how much she remembered about the night before. Just as he was about to brush the entire evening off, and order room service, he noticed a piece of paper lying on the desk by the window. He carried the blanket with him and placed it on the chair as he reached for the paper:
Can’t wait for that trip to the ocean. Here’s to jumping off the deep end. (888)555-6363 P.S. I get to buy the next round.

Nick pulled into the driveway and parked the car in the garage. He chuckled at remembering the events that happened that night. It felt like it all happened yesterday, not 9 years ago. He couldn’t believe that after that night, she wanted to see him again. That she chose him. Nor that she has put up with him for that long. Once he stepped into the house Pepper greeted him. “Hey, Pep.” Nick petted his head, his tail wagging with excitement. He ran out the back door and instantly ran to his ball where the boys had left if for him in the backyard. He then unloaded the car and placed the belongings in the kitchen. He was not looking forward to wrapping this boy’s birthday present. It was not his specialty. Noticing that it was close to his conference meeting with the record company, he put the wrapping off till later. He let Pepper inside, and let him accompany him in his studio. “You have to be quiet Pepper.” Nick petted his head again, as he took a seat. Pepper laid down beside him as he dialed the number, hope this goes better today.