- Text Size +


I jumped as my cell phone rang. “Hello.” my voice was laced with tears, I knew I sounded horrible.

“Jenn?! What’s wrong?” Melissa knew me too well. She knew when I was crying.

“Nothing,” I started but she stopped me.

“Bull, now tell me what’s wrong?”

“I left Aj.”

“YOU DID WHAT?! Why?! Oh lord. Where are you?”

“Which one do you want me to answer first?” I said with a sad little laugh.

“God, never mind where are you?”

“Heading toward the airport.”

“Okay where are you going?” She asked I could hear her rummaging through something.

“Home,” I said meaning Alabama.

“No, come here. Please.”

“Melissa, you have enough going on with you.” She was getting married to Nick in just a few months and I knew she had enough on her plate.

“Jennifer, you introduced me to Nick. I wanted you to come and help me with everything anyway. Please.”

“Fine, I’m going to see what kinda flight I can get.”

“Actually, Nick’s taking care of that now.” Melissa said.

“What?” I knew I didn’t hear her right.

“Nick has you a flight in about 3 hours. That should give you enough time to get something to eat and get checked in.”

“Melissa! I could handle that on my own.” I heard the phone being moved and I waited.

“Hey, I know you can. But it’s the least I can do to thank you for being friends with Mel.” Nick said his voice showing he was grinning.

“Fine, how much money do I need to transfer to my checking account?” I asked knowing I had plenty in my savings to pay for the flight.

“Nothing I told you I took care of it all.”

“Ohhhh no. I’m not-“ Nick cut me off.

“Jennifer. I said I took care of it.” Nick’s voice was firm and I wasn’t in the mood to fight anymore.

“Fine. Whatever.” I said with a sigh.

“Okay then, here is Melissa. Bye.”

“Bye.”

“Hey.” Melissa said as she got back on the phone.

“Your man is too bossy.” I said with a laugh.

“I know and I love it.” I just rolled my eyes.

“Okay, anyway listen traffic is getting crazy so I’m going to get off here before I get in trouble.” I said as a black SUV swerved in front of me.

“Okay be careful, Nick and I will pick you up at the airport. Okay?”

“Okay bye.”

“Bye.” I clicked the phone off and flipped it shut. I sighed and tried to keep my thoughts from running back to Aj. I was doubting my decision. Did I do what was right? What if it is over? Should I have stayed, what if I loose him forever? I loved him so much, my mind was in overdrive as I made my way to the airport.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I groaned quietly as I stood from my seat. I couldn’t help the automatic stretch that ripped through my body. God it felt good to be standing after a long flight. I pulled my bag from the overhead storage and made my way out of the plane. As I walked down the ramp I turned my phone back on and winced as the light started flashing letting me know I had messages. “I wonder from who.” I said to myself as I entered the terminal. I noted the sign for baggage claim and headed that way. As I descended the escalator I saw Melissa and Nick. I smiled when she waved when she saw me.

“Jenn!”

“Mel!” We both grinned at each other. She took my sun glasses off and looked at me.

“You look like shit.”

“Thanks for the pick me up.” I said sarcastically.

“You’re welcome.”

“Hey you.” I said as Nick came and gave me a hug.

“Hey, everything will be okay. He’s an idiot sometimes but he’s not stupid.” He said looking down at me. I nodded but didn’t say anything. He saw the tears welling up in my eyes again and pulled me into his hug again. “Let’s get your stuff and get you home where you can get some decent sleep.” I nodded and headed to get my bags.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


I didn’t remember much on the ride home. The fact that I slept most of the way is the main reason why.

“Jenn.”

“Hm?” I asked sleepily.

“We are here.” I heard Mel reply.

“Oh.” I pulled myself out of my daze long enough to get my things up to the guest room.

“We will see you later.” Mel said as she put the last of my luggage on the floor beside the bed.

“Thank you both. I will see you soon.” I had never been one that could go long without my eight hours of sleep. But now, that I was back in a bed, I realized just how lonely I was. I had been with Aj for years. Now here I was alone again. I really thought he was the one. I didn’t think I would have to look again. I felt the tears coming anew and this time I didn’t fight them. I couldn’t have stopped them if I had wanted to anyway. Before long the endless darkness of sleep consumed me.