- Text Size +


Howie looked around Aj’s house. Something was definitely going on. His house was a total mess. There were at least 3 pizza boxes on the coffee table, what looked to be the leaning tower of clothes had appeared in the corner of the living room. Aj’s house hadn’t been like this in years.

“Aj?” Howie called from the foyer. Aj had missed their lunch today and he wanted to check on him. “Jenn?” As soon as he said her name, it hit him. Jenn wasn’t there. That’s why the house is a mess. Howie walked through the living room slowly then climbed the stairs two at a time. He knocked on Aj’s bedroom door. He heard only a grunt from the other side. “Age, it’s Howie. I’m coming in.” He said as he tested the door to see if it was locked. It wasn’t and he entered to find Aj laying face down in the middle of a made bed. It was the only room in the house that he had seen that wasn’t a mess. “Aj, what happened?” He was shocked when Aj looked up at him and Howie realized he hadn’t been asleep.

“She left.”

“I can tell, what happened?”

“I wasn’t here enough and she left.”

“When did she leave?” Howie knew that Aj would clam up soon enough so he had to get as much information out of him as he possibly could.

“A week ago.”

“Have you talked to her?”

“I called, she won’t answer her cell.”

Howie had to ask the question that would probably shut AJ right up, but he had to know before he could make a decision on what to do next. If he said yes, then he wouldn’t step in and try to help, if he said no then he would do what ever he could to help get Aj back with Jenn. “Aj, look at me bro.” He waited until Aj looked up at him, “Did you before she left or after cheat on her?”
He saw the fire in Aj’s eyes and knew the answer immediately.

“Fuck you Howie.” Aj said, his voice more of a growl.

“Okay I just had to ask. I had to know what I was dealing with.” Howie held up his hands as in submission.

“I think we both know how I felt about her.”

“Felt or feel?” He grinned at Aj as he looked at him. Yep, feel. “Before we do anything we have to get your house cleaned, it reeks in here.”

“Not in here. It still smells like her in here.”
Howie’s heart broke as Aj picked up a pillow and held it to his face. “I miss her so much.” Aj’s voice cracked as he held the pillow tighter. Just the thought of losing Leigh made Howie’s heart break. He couldn’t even begin to imagine the pain Aj was going through. He knew Aj loved Jenn, he had watched Aj as he changed after he met her. The wild man had become calmer, happier.

“Come on man, lets get someone in here to clean up.”
Aj looked up at him and smiled weakly. “Come on.”
Howie knew Aj needed to get out of the house. Aj never did good locked up some where for long. “Go get a shower, and I’ll call the cleaning service I used. Then we will go get lunch.” Howie said as he pushed him toward the bathroom.

An hour later Howie was answering the doorbell as Aj came down the stairs. Howie explained to them which rooms needed to be cleaned and asked them to leave the master bedroom alone.

Howie stepped outside and found Aj sitting by the pool smoking. “You ready to go?” Howie began to wonder if Aj had heard him until Aj turned and looked at him.

“What if I screwed up and she is gone?”

“Then we work from there. But I don’t think she’s gone for good. Jenn is a fighter, she might have thought you wanted her to leave. But she’s not one to give up. Now come on I’m starving.” Aj stood slowly and they made their way out to Howie’s car.