- Text Size +

I laughed as Melissa did her impression of the lady who she had hired to make her wedding cake. I couldn’t help but laugh she had it down pat.
“She flipped out so bad.” I said through gulps of air. “Dee, you would have died.” I said to another friend of ours who had come into town while Kevin was on a press tour.
“What did she say?” Dee asked as she tried to calm down from laughing so hard.
“She was like, you can’t have that many cakes.” Mel said lowering her voice to the octave of the lady.
“All Melissa said was she wanted the main cake and four cakes that were just like the main cake but smaller. You would have thought Mel said ‘I want 100 cakes.’”
“Her face got so red, and I swear I thought she was going to explode.” Melissa said laughing.
“Good lord.” Dee said laughing. “That is just too funny.”
“Oh I know. I had to hold my breath, it was like something out of a cartoon. She was all huffing and puffing. It was weird at first then it just got funnier and funnier.” I said wiping a tear as it fell.
“Oh gosh.” Mel said as she leaned back in her chair. “God I can’t believe I’ve got one month till I’m Mrs. Nickolas Carter.”
“Oh lord here she goes again.” I said poking Dee on the arm, “She’s going into her dream state.” I said laughing as Mel gave me her “go to hell” look.


I had been in Nashville for almost 2 months, I wish I could say time had flown by but it really hadn’t. Being here and watching Melissa and Nick so happy had really put a strain on me, but I would have never told Melissa, or Nick for that matter.
“So,” I felt Dee’s eyes on me before she said anything, and I knew what was coming, “How are you holding up?”
“I’m fine.” I pasted a bright, but fake smile on my face.
“Has anyone ever told you when you fake a smile you look like the joker?” Dee said grinning.
“Oh bite me.”
“Seriously, how are you?”
“I’m fine.”
“Okay I will pry since you aren’t forthcoming with the information I am seeking.” Dee said folding her hands in her lap as she leaned back in her chair, “Have you talked to him?”
“No.”
“Has he called?”
“Yes.” Mel looked up at me, “What?”
“I just assumed you would tell me if he called.” Melissa stated. I just shook my head.
“It hurts enough when he calls, I usually don’t want to talk about it.” I said playing with the napkin laying in my lap.
“Okay,” Melissa reached across the table and took my hand in hers, “I know you want everything to work out, but if you don’t talk to him you aren’t giving it a true chance.”
“I know, I probably would talk to him if he ever left a message. But he never does. I mean he could be calling me to find out where I want him to send all my stuff.”
“Oh please!” Both Melissa and Dee spoke at the time. They looked at each other and laughed.
“He isn’t calling you for that and you know it. That man loves you. Sure he may have screwed up,” I looked at Melissa when she said “may have”, “Okay! Okay! He screwed up.” I nodded and she continued, “but everyone is going to make mistakes. You know that. When he calls, just talk to him.”
“I don’t know.”
“Do you want to be with him?” Dee asked.
“Of course. I love him.”
“Okay that is your answer. When he calls talk to him.”
“Whatever.” I said, “Okay when are we going to look at your wedding dress.” I asked Melissa trying to change the subject.
“Ohhhh subject change. I will remember where we were, but I’m going tomorrow.”
“Okay, well I hate to cut this short but I have to meet Kevin at the hotel to go for our fitting for the premier.” Dee said as she paid for her meal.
“Ohhhh the life of a broadway star’s wife. She has SO much stress.” I said laughing at Deen’s face.
“Oh yes it is so stressful.” She said sticking her tongue at me. “I will talk to you soon.” She said as she hugged my neck. “Mel, I will see you at the wedding is not before that.” She said as she stood.
“Okay, have fun!” Melissa said as she left the table.