- Text Size +

“Nick,” Melissa looked out of the kitchen door, making sure they were alone, “You have to call Aj.”
“Yeah, okay,” He said oblivious to what Melissa said, “Wait why?” Nick asked looking up from the paperwork on the table when what Melissa said sunk in.
“You have to talk to him about Jenn. She’s dying. She misses him so much.”
“Mel, I don’t think we need to stick our noses in their business.”
“Nick, will you shush. When did you get so level headed?! He is calling her cell but he isn’t leaving a message. She is scared to talk to him, because she thinks he is calling to find out where she wants him to send her stuff.”
Nick shook his head, “She really thinks he would call her for that?”
“Yeah, she told us that today,” She looked back out into the living room to make sure Jenn hadn’t entered the room. “Nick, she cries herself to sleep. I know it’s been hard on her, her being here with us. God I can just imagine if the situation was switched.” Nick would see Melissa was working herself into nervous wreck.
“Come here.” He said and pushed his chair from the table. He pulled Melissa down in his lap and wrapped his arms around her waist. “Listen to me,” He pushed a stray hair behind her ear, “You will never have to worry about that with us. And because you are so worried about her, I will call Aj in a little while. We will do what we have to do to get this worked out. But don’t you ever worry about us okay?” Melissa nodded, tears welling in her eyes, “Baby.” Nick whispered as he kissed her sweetly. “You are too tender hearted and I love that about you.” He said as he kissed her again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Nick dialed Aj’s number as he sat at his desk in the study.
“Hello.” Aj answered his voice subdued and quiet.
“Hey Age.”
“Hey Nick.”
“How you doing?”
“I’m okay.” Aj said sighing.
“Sounds like you might be lying.” Nick said, not really knowing how Aj would take the news he was about to give him.
“Maybe.” Aj replied sounding distracted.
“I heard about you and Jenn.”
“Who called, Howie?”
“No.”
“Then who?” Aj was officially paying attention.
“She’s here.”
“What?!”
“She’s been here. I figured you knew.”
“How in the hell would I know? How long has she been there?”
“Since she left.”
“Dammit Nick. You could have called me.”
“Well Aj, I thought you knew. We didn’t know until today that you were calling her. And I am calling you. But you do remember I’m getting married in less than a month. My mind is on other things.”
“Yeah I know. Okay does she know you called me?”
“No.” Nick answered wondering where this was going.
“Okay listen, I’m not taking any chances, it’s been too long. I’ll be there tomorrow. Please don’t say anything to her.”
“Okay.” Nick wondered how well this meeting would go over. “Okay, I won’t tell her.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Jenn?” Mel called through Jenn’s bedroom door.
“Yeah.” Jenn’s reply was muffled but she heard it. She pushed open the door and saw Jenn laying on the bed wiping tears from her face.
“Are you okay?” Mel asked as she sat down on the edge of the bed.
“Yeah I’m okay.” Jenn answered smiling weakly.
“You know if you need to talk, I’m always here.”
“Yeah, I’m staying in your house.” Jenn said grinning.
“You know what I mean.”
“Yeah I do. I just,” Jenn started but her voice cracked and she paused, “I thought this was it.”
“Sweetie, you don’t know it’s not the one. He IS calling you know.”
“Yeah I know, but why?”
“Probably to talk to you. Usually that’s why people call.” Jenn couldn’t help but smile.
“I just want to be happy. It’s like I think I’m getting better then I have a day like today and it’s like I can’t breathe cause I can’t stop thinking about him.” Jenn said closing her eyes as the tears began anew.
“You will be happy. I promise you will be.”
“I’ll be okay. I’m going to take me some Tylenol and try to get some sleep,” Jenn said as she wiped the tears from her face again.
“Okay, just call me if you need me.”
“Okay. Night, and Mel, thank you.”
“You’re welcome. That’s what friends are here for.” Mel said as she stood from the bed. “Night, see you in the morning.”
“Okay.”