- Text Size +

I sighed as I pulled into Nick’s driveway. I had beat them, I figured as much. They are probably not even on their way. I parked the truck at the back of the house, not wanting to block Nick’s parking place. I climbed from the truck and headed into the house. I was sticky from going in and out of air conditioning and so I decided to jump in the shower before they got home. I knew it would put me in a better mood, than I was in which I didn’t think I could be in a worse mood.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As I stepped out of the bathroom I listened to see if I could tell if Mel and Nick had made it back yet. I stepped out onto the landing at the top of the stairs and called Mel’s name, when I didn’t get an answer I returned to my room to dry my hair.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Jenn!” Melissa called my name as she came into the house. She couldn’t hear me drying my hair. “Nick, see if she’s out back.” Mel mounted the stairs, as Nick reentered the house she looked down at him as he came into view, “She’s not but the truck is.” Mel sighed a sigh of relief knowing that I hadn’t left.
I jumped a foot in the air as she entered my room. “Jesus Mel!” I said as I flipped my hair back and turned off the hair dryer. “You scared the shit out of me.”
“I called your name. I guess you couldn’t hear me.”
“Yeah, not with this monstrosity screaming in my ear I couldn’t.” I said motioning to my hair dryer.
“Okay come downstairs. We need to talk.” Why did I suddenly feel very nervous when she said that.
“Mel, what is wrong?” I followed her out of the room when she didn’t answer.
“Listen, I know you have been through a lot in the last few months, but you have to listen to what I’m about to say. I don’t want you to leave until you have heard everything, okay?”
“Mel you’re scaring me.” I said looking at her.


I looked at the door way when Nick walked in, “Nick what’s wrong. Mel is scaring-“ I couldn’t breathe let alone talk as Nick stepped out of the way and I saw Aj standing behind him. I sat down heavily in the chair behind me. I thought that I had begun to get over him, well I thought wrong. It has been 2 months and every feeling I’d ever had for him rushed over me as I saw him standing there. I lowered my head to my hands and felt the tears return anew.

Aj looked at Nick and then at Mel. Nick crossed the room and took Mel’s hand and entered his office closing the door.
Aj crossed the room and knelt down in front of me. “Baby.” Aj started.
“Don’t call me baby,” I said not lifting my head from my hands. I felt my heart ache even more as I heard his voice.
“Jenn, please listen to me.”
“Aj, why now?” I looked at him. “Why after over 2 months are you here now?”
“I didn’t know where you were. I wanted to talk to you so bad but you wouldn’t answer your phone.”
“Aj it’s too late.”
“No it’s not. It’s not too late for us. I love you too much to just walk away. Yeah I fucked up, and I’ll probably fuck up again, but I’m not giving up.” I couldn’t stand it, I had to get away from him. It hurt too much to be so close to him. I stood from the chair and climbed the stairs two at time and entered my room.