- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Feedback would be greatly appreciated of this story (and to all others that have not been reviewed.)
For some reason, this...voice can't escape my mind even if it tried. I don't know who it is or what it is, but it's starting to drive me insane. It's been running my life for God knows how long...wait, that's not true.

It's been running my life the night I had a séance with a few friends of mine. Believe me, I didn't want it to come to this. I didn't want to start conjuring up spirits and have them haunt me in every waking moment. My friends wanted to do this for fun; to see if the Ouija board would actually work. Unfortunately, it did.
“Come on, gather around,” Anya said to us as she sat on the floor Indian style. “This is going to be so fun. Avangellina, join us...”

“I don't think I want any part of that. That shit gives me the creeps...” “Avy, lighten up. This is only for fun. I don't believe in this bull, and we need something to do to relieve this boredom.” “Then why not watch a DVD?” “Because we don't want to just lay around, watch a movie and be even more bored. Please, join us?” Reluctantly, I sat down on the floor with Reline, my distant cousin who flew in from Massachusetts. “Fine. But if it gets too creepy, I'm quitting.” “We promise, it won't,” Anya said, taking the items out of the box.

We were in a circle, holding hands as we see the Ouija board staring us in the face. “So, how are we doing this?” Reline gave me a pamphlet with a few names to call on. “Try this one,” she said as she pointed to the name, “Dwaine Ciscough.” “Who's that?” I ask. “I don't know who he is, I picked him at random.” I nod, and look down at the name, then at the board. I had an inkling from the start that we shouldn't do this at all; we had no experience in calling the dead.

But since they said that it was just for fun, I simply agreed, but I still have that bothering feeling in the back of my mind. Again, we join hands, and close our eyes staying silent for a moment. Anya broke the silence, and began a druid like chant, “O, Dwaine Ciscough...we call upon Thee from beyond the grave...hear us...make us believers...” our hands were placed on the planchette, and we made it shift all around the letters.

Anya told us to repeat after her: she began saying things in Latin, which we all did in sync. I dare not repeat the words. “Please...come forth to us...findest thou way from the Heavens, and onto Earth. We mean you no harm, O lost soul...hear us...findest thou way to come to Earth...” Again, it became silent, but we continued to move the planchette around the letters. “Tell us,” Anya began.

“Where are you from...?” The triangle spelled out the word, “Ireland”. Automatically, the planchette began to spell out the sentence: “Why do you want to know?” I freaked out on the inside, but throughout the séance, I kept my cool. “We want to know all about you, Dwaine Ciscough...are you willing to tell us about your past?” The planchette spelled out, “No.” “Why?” Anya asked. I wanted this to end; I kept on thinking it.

I wanted to tell her to stop, and that I didn't want to upset the obvious spirit contacting her. “Because I don't have to explain myself to you, Stranger.” said the spirit. “Maybe we should stop this, Anya...” She didn't listen. “Anya...?” “Avy's right...this is creeping me out...” Reline said, starting to get up.

“Anya, come on, we're done playing this 'game'. Let's go.” She still wasn't responding. “Anya, what the hell?” “.....I'm not this 'Anya' that you speak of...” me and Reline quickly got up and backed away from her. We held each other, scared out of our wits.

“Wha...what have you done to Anya?” “She is resting at the moment,” she...or he said to me. “Do not worry, I have caused her no harm. Why have you called upon me?” “A..a few friends of mine were skeptical about the Ouija board, and...they wanted to be proved wrong...” “And they forced you into it, my dear?” “What?” Anya's body walked over to me, and placed her hands on my face.

“You...you didn't want to do this...you were pressured into it, weren't you?” I look away, not wanting to tell this spirit the truth. “You didn't...” he said. “I'm sorry that my friends bothered you, and--”

Anya's finger silences me. “Do not apologize, my dear...you've done nothing wrong. Have they been proved wrong now?” I lightly nod in affirmation. “Yes,” I look at Reline shaking against me. “They have been proved wrong, Spirit.” “Please, Call me Dwaine.” “Dwaine...” I whisper.

Just then, Anya's body jerked, and collapsed onto the floor. We hovered around her, biting our nails. “Wha....what just happened to me...?” she asks us out of breath. “Don't you remember what happened?” “No. What happened?” “The spirit that you called...he took over your body, and spoke to us...it was mad crazy! You sure you don't remember?” “If I said 'no', what makes you think I'll say yes when you ask me a second time?” “Geez...sorry...”

“Well, he may have silenced you while he took you over, but he didn't silence your nasty attitude.” “And what is THAT supposed to mean?” “Anya, we shouldn't have done this, alright? I don't know what's going to happen next, because you called upon a 500 year old spirit from the grave! I don't know if he's gone back or not...” “Avy's right...maybe we should, you know, close the portal?” “Guys, ghosts don't exist! I said we did this for fun, and that's EXACTLY what we did. I don't know why you guys are scared out of your wits, but NOTHING happened! Get it through your heads!” Reline and I just looked at her, shocked. I couldn't believe it: she was possessed by some unknown presence, and here she is throwing a bitch fit at us. We were beside ourselves.

“Anya, I think you should leave.” “Wait, you're kicking me out?” “Leave.” I say again with a bit more grit and force. At that moment, I didn't want to talk to her, let alone look at her. I dislike skeptics...or I just dislike girls who think they're the best thing since sliced bread, and have the right to talk to you in anyway they want. I don't have time for that mess. She grabbed her purse, and walked towards the door. “You're getting mad at me over some 'possession' session?” “Just go, Anya...”

Reline said in a soft, calming tone. She scoffed, and turned to walk out the door, slamming it behind her. I bend down and pick up the game and put it back in the box. “Surreal.” was the last thing Reline said before walking out the door heading back to her floor. “You don't know the half of it, cous...” I place the game back in the cabinet, hoping to NEVER go back to it again.

I went upstairs to my room, trying so hard to forget about what happened earlier. It was frankly hard to do, seeing that an ancient spirit overtook a 'friends' body for 5 minutes. I wonder if he was happy, you know, to be in a person's shell after being dead for 500 years? I would be if I was in his shoes.

Quickly shifting my mind towards something different, I get undressed, take down my hair, and put on one of my favorite evening gowns. Just then, the window flew open, and my drapes flowed with the warm, spring wind. Without thinking anything of it, I close the window, and walk back towards the bed.

“Avangellina...”

I turned around, knowing I heard someone, or something whispering my name. “Who's there?” I call out to no one in particular. Silence. I look around to hopefully find something, but came up empty. “Huh. Must have been the wind. I climb into bed, shutting the lamp off, and close my eyes. Little did I know that I was being watched...by him.