- Text Size +
I arrived at Tabu an hour early, so I could see my good friend Howie before he left for a meeting. He's always busy. I walk into the building, and I'm stopped by the security guard. “Identification, please.” “Um...I don't have that on me at the moment, but I'm a friend of the owner.” “So is everyone else. No ID, no entry.”

I became frustrated at this big bully.. “I'm dreadfully serious! I am a friend of the owner...” “Step away from the door, ma'am. I don't want to call the authorities, but if I must--” “That won't be necessary,” I hear a distant voice say to “Luke”.. “She is a friend of mine. Let her in.” the monster in the white and red jersey stepped aside, and I walked in. “Thanks, D, appreciate it.” “No worries. So, what's up?”

We were by the bar; I was leaning against the counter whereas he was sitting on a stool. “Nothing, just wanted to see how you were doing before you left. How's business?” “It's been going great so far. I haven't had these many customers since my brother was running the place. How's school?” “Oh, school's fine...” he gives me his signature smile, and looks down at the floor. For a second, he kinda looked like someone I knew before.

But it couldn't be. It's impossible. Now, I do believe in reincarnation, but to me, it's a bit unreal. “Avangellina. ..?” he snapped me out of my trance, and I look at him. “Yeah?” “What were you thinking about?”

“Oh, stuff...” he said, “I see...”, and walked behind the counter, doing what he likes to call, “mental inventory”. “Can I ask you a personal question, Dorough?” “Sure,” he said without looking over at me. “Um...what's your nationality?” he turned around, looking at me with his eyebrown cocked up. “Why do you want to know?” he leaned over the counter, and looked me dead in my eyes.

Those eyes...they're the same color, and have the same luster as...no, it couldn't be. “Oh, just curious. If you don't want to tell me, it's fine.” “ No, it's just something that I don't hear everyday, ya know? I'm Puerto-Rican on my mother's side, and Irish on my father's.” I nod, and look away for a few moments. “That's too close...” I thought. “but, I'm not going to jump to anything...” “You should.” There's Dwaine's voice again. What did he mean by, “you should”?

“What are you talking about?”

“I'm sorry?”

I looked over at him, still with the same expression on his face. “Uh, nothing...tell me, did you have any ancestors who were of Irish origin?” Howie then became silent in thought, then said, “Actually, yes I do have a few ancestors. I was told that I'm a descendant of...”

Oh, God.

“The guy that wrote the Irish fight song. You know, about the female pirate that went back home after being captured?” Oh. “Um...no. I don't know anything about that.” he flashes me a faint smile. “That's ok. It's a bit weird anyway. I don't even speak Gaelic.” he stuffs his hands in his pockets, and leans against the counter along with me. We exchanged gazes a few times, and we'd start talking about some other things, trying to clear my mind of what I'm thinking about. “Don't block it out, my dear...”

“What are you thinking about now, Avangellina?” I look over at him, and shake my head. “Nothing, really...” “Well, I hope that you're thinking of a place for you and I to have dinner...” I look over at him again. “I beg your pardon?” “Huh? What? Who said that?” he looks around, trying to play what he said off as a joke. I laugh, and playfully hit him. “So, are you asking me out, Mr. Dorough?” He leaned in, and smiles at me again. “And what if I am, Ms. Domini?” I started to blush a little.

Truth be told, I did have a little lingering crush on Howie, but it was nothing really big. I mean, never in my wildest dreams would I think he would ever ask me out or anything like that, so I was beside myself for a second.. “So, where to?” “How about, after I come back from the meeting, I'll pick you up, and I'll take you someplace special.” “That would be great, D.” I touch his shoulder, and rub it a little.

“So, when will you get off?” “I tell you what: I'll call you when I get out of the meeting, ok?” I nod, and sit up, handing him my number. “You got it, D. Well, I'd better get going. I have finals in two weeks, and you know how I--” “Trust me. I know. We were study partners, remember?” I smile at him and grab my backpack. “You know me all too well, Dorough. I'd better go...” We bid our farewells, and I walk out of the club not even looking at the big boulder of a security guard.

I get into my car, and sit back, smiling big. “I can't believe it,” I say to myself. “Well, believe it, Avangellina. ..” I look around after I heard his voice yet again. I roll my windows up so no one would hear me, and ask, “What are you talking about, Dwaine? What's with the questions you're asking me?”

“So, you do not know, huh?” “Know what?” “Since you haven't figured it out yet, I will let you find out for yourself. How does that sound?” “Like a damn headache..” I massage my temples and grumble. “I don't understand anything anymore now...” “Do you want me to leave you alone, my dear?” “No...I don't want you to do that. In fact, before the séance, my life was boring...I want you to stick around, Dwaine, until you're set free.” “But, my dear,” he said before he trailed away again. “I am free...”

Midnight. She gets out of her convertible and puts on a burgandy cloak so no one would recognize her. She stands in front of the Catholic church, waiting for someone to exit. She sees a young priest still in his robe quietly stepping out of the church approaching her. “Ms. Andretti,” he began while standing in front of her. “I have received word from the Vatican, and they have agreed to perform the exorcism. They will send someone from their quarters and banish the demon from your home.” “Grazie,” she said clenching her rosary beads tightly.

“When shall I expect him?” “He will come next Monday. I pray you, young one, he is one of the best.” “I trust your word, Father. Thank you once again for this.” “You are most welcome...” he hands her a golden rosary before hurrying back to the church. She looks down at it, thumbing the beads, and looks up at the sky.

“God...please help my cousin...I need you to keep her strong until next week....Please help her...she' s in dire straits...” she turns around and walks to her car, getting in and driving down the dark road.

“She is not in dire straits...she is not in danger...She is in love with me.”