- Text Size +
I sat by the phone, awaiting for Howie's call. I was twiddling my thumbs, reading an article in a magazine, I would have started crocheting if the phone hadn't rang. I pick it up and sure enough, it was him.

“Hey, Avy. You ready to go?”

“I thought you had a meeting? It's only 8:45?”

“I cancelled it. I didn't want to go through the hassles of paperwork and such this evening. Just a quiet, moonlit date with a good friend of mine..”

I became flustered yet again and smiled so much as he was talking to me. His voice is so soothing, much like a special friend I know of.

“Yeah, I'm ready, and I'm looking forward to this moonlit date. See you then.”

“Alright. Bye.”

I walked out to my front porch and waited for him to get here. Five minutes passed, and I could see the flashing lights of his Corvette pull up. I hurry down the steps, and stop in front of it and watched him step out. I looked over his outfit: dark purple dress shirt, black dress pants.

His hair was no longer in a ponytail, but they were in little tight curls which bounced down his base of his neck. “You look amazing, D...” “As do you, my dear...” Wait. This is odd. Howie NEVER called me that. The three people in my life that has ever called me 'dear' was my mother, grandfather, and Dwaine. This is getting too weird now, but then again I could be jumping to conclusions. I ALWAYS do that.

“Avangellina?” I snap out of yet another trance and look over at him leaning against the car door. “Yes?” “Ladies first...” he opened the passenger side, and led me in; he circles around getting into the driver's seat. “So, where are we going?” “Somewhere special to me...” With one last smile, he starts the car, and pulls out, driving down the road.

I look out the window, and immediately, I see the grove Reline and I passed the previous week. “You come here?” “All the time. I come here to think about things: my loved ones, my work...” he briefly turned to me, and flashed me a light smile. “I see...” he stopped the car, and got out, walking to the other side, letting me out as well.

I look around, and I'm taken aback by the lovely sight before me: a silent creek, untouched by nature's creatures. Weeping willows hanging around, encircling the water. Gardenia flowers popped up on the grass as well as wildflowers. And last, but not least, the moon's bright light radiating over the water and everything else.

“Howie, it's beautiful!” I exclaim. Never have I been in such a wonderful place, and never have I been so impressed on his taste of great places to relax. “Walk with me...” He takes my hand, and leads me down a narrow pathway. We stopped at a spot near the creek, and sat down. “This is nice,” he says, looking up at the moon-filled sky and then at me.

“It's better than nice, D...it's fantastic. Thank you for taking me here...” he takes my hands, and looks into my eyes. “You're so very welcome, Avangellina. ..” I look away for a few seconds, then back at him lost in his honey brown gaze. Though I care for another, there's something more to Howie that I never saw. A soft side, if you will. He was always serious about his work, but I never knew he had a romantic side. “Romance is in my blood,” he'd say, but I never really believed it. Now, it's proved to be true.

“Howie,” I began, still looking in his eyes. “I...I feel as though, I've known you before...but I'm sure that it's not possible...” “That's funny,” he said. “Because I feel the same way about you, Avy. It's like, we've known each other from long ago...and that I never got a chance to tell you how I felt about you...” My heart skipped a beat at his promising words spewing from his mouth.

“Really?” “Really.” He scooted closer to me, holding my hands a bit tighter. “Then tell me your feelings, Dorough.” “Gladly, but I'd rather express them...” Our faces closed in to a soft, yet lingering kiss. For a moment, I thought Dwaine was going to stop this union, but he didn't. There was no interruption, no yelling, no ethereal voice haunting my mind. Now I know what he meant by, “You will find your answer soon enough...”

Our lips parted and we look at one another. “Wow...” he said, a bit 'out of it'. “Yeah, wow...” I say as I rub my forehead, smiling. From that point on, we both felt something, a deep connection, so to speak. Like, we were reunited, yet we've never crossed each other's paths...or have we? I lean over to touch his face, his soft, angelic face. He closes his eyes, and exhales, letting out whatever nervousness he may have had.

“Avangellina. ..I have something to tell you...” I knew it. Just when it was getting good, something bad happens. I take a deep breath, and listen. “What is it?” “Remember when I said, that I was a descendant to an Irish musician?” “Yes?” “I lied. You see, I'm a direct descendant of a painter named Dwaine Ci--” “I know.” His eyes bugged out in surprise.

“You knew all this time?” “No. I was uncertain all this time. But after we kissed...I knew.” he smiled, and pulled me close to his chest, his rhythmic heartbeat soothing me. “Then...you do know about Avigaille DuVrin...?” “We don't have to get into a history lesson...I know who I am...and I know who you are. And what matters is...we're together for the first time in 500 years.”

We held each other close, nothing interrupting us, nothing holding us back.. The truth was out, and the familiar weight was lifted off my shoulders. From a simple kiss, I found out who we are: not just friends, but lovers from another time and place...

And I couldn't be more satisfied.

“Hello, Father, and welcome to America.” “Tnank you very much,” said an old man holding onto one of his right hand men for support. “Why are we here in America, Father?” his supporter asked in Old World Italian.”To rid of a Hellish spirit clouding a young woman's mind. It is our duty to cleanse her soul, and banish this entity forever.”