- Text Size +
"So, did you two go all the way?” “No, we didn't, Reline. There's more to him than just sex: he's charming and romantic. Something that I love in a man.” “Was he at least a great kisser?” “You better believe it. His lips were so soft...I nearly died.” Reline smiled, then turned back to her book. “So, enough about me...what have you been up to lately?” Reline quickly looks up at me, and faintly smiles. “Oh...um, nothing in particular. You know, study study study...” “It's just that I haven't seen you in class lately...have you been sick?”

“No, just busy, ok?” I stepped back a little. “Whoa, girl, relax...I was only concerned, ok?” “Well, let me be concerned about you, cous.” “What do you mean?” “You know what I mean. Dwaine. Is he still here?” I look at her all confused. “What if he is?” “Avy, why would you want an evil entity in your home? Doesn't that bother you?” I walk over to her, and cross my arms, a little peeved at her.

“First of all, Dwaine isn't 'evil'. Second, I've grown accustomed to him.. He keeps my mind at ease, you know?” Reline sat down, and covered her face. “You can't be serious, Avangellina. Dwaine is a SPIRIT, not a human.... I mean, he's been dead for 500 years!” “You obviously don't know him like I do...” I mumble to myself. She turns to look at me with a shocked look on her face. “I don't know him like you do? Avy, ever since that night, you became distant, and above all else, acting weird! I hate to tell you this, but I think he's taken you over.” “No, he hasn't, Relly...he cares about me...” “The only thing he cares about, is running your life. He's obviously using you just to stay here on Earth! You're nothing but a shell to him--” “DON'T SAY THAT!” I shriek at her...I never did that before...EVER.

“YOU DON'T KNOW HIM! He's the only person that can understand me, and frankly, YOU don't understand me...no one else does...” She got up and walked over to me, placing her hands on my shoulders. “What about Howie?” I look into her eyes, while mine own were tear filled. “Don't you get it, Reline? Dwaine wasn't using me...all this time, he was leading me to Howie, not 'running my life'. You see? Dwaine was reborn.”

She looked at me with concern written across her face. “You're in more danger than I thought, Avy...” “Reline, I'm NOT in danger, don't you understand?” She steps away from me. “Oh, I understand completely.. .you're nu--” “DON'T say that...I'm serious...Dwaine was brought back to life to find me. I have proof!” “You're proving something to me right now, Avangellina. ..you're insane!”

“Oh yeah? I'm insane, huh? Fine...” I stormed out of the room and go in the kitchen to retrieve my bookbag. “What are you doing?” I don't say a word to her, for my head is buried into the bag; I finally found my proof. I hold up a book, but not just any book: the Book of Kings and Queens of the 16th Century. I sit down and thumb through the pages trying to find Queen Catherine of Aragon. “Avy...”

“Here. Right there...” she sits next to me, and I show her a photo of the Queen with her Ladies in Waiting. There were only four, but the last two from the right were of Avigaille DuVrin and Anne Boleyn. As I pointed to Avigaille's picture, she looked down...and was completely shocked.

“Oh, my God...”

“Do you believe me now? Don't you see? I'm the descendant of Avigaille. Dwaine told me so.”

“When did he tell you?”

“Last night...in a dream I had...he showed me...”

“...Avigaille' s home life. After my death, I followed her. She never knew that I was around, yet she never knew I existed. Every time I tried to show myself to her, I would be stopped by the King's demands.. It was awful. So, I watched her every move.

I was there for her every event: her father's death, her first marriage, and the birth of her son. I gave her her accolades, but it wasn't enough. I wasn't there with her. You, Avangellina, are the direct descendant of Avigaille, one of the Queen's beloved First Ladies. I should have told you sooner, but I was too enticed by your resemblance and beauty of her. I loved that woman so deeply, but now I don't have to reminisce; she lives inside you...she IS you. Always remember that.”

“But...my parents...they never told me about this...”

“I was there for your birth as well...yet your 'parents' are not your parents. You were found on their doorstep 20 years ago, and they raised you as their own.”

“Let me get this straight. If you saw my birth transpire, why didn't you come forward until now?”

“You called me. I waited so many years for you to call upon me. I couldn't be in human affairs; I was not taught to meddle. But now...we're reunited, and nothing will ever change that...but.. .”

“But, what, Dwaine?”

“Come the next week, something will happen. Please trust me with this. You and I are in danger...”

“Danger? What are you--”

“You will know in due time.”

“Why can't you just tell me, Ciscough? What kind of trouble are we in?”

Silence.

“Ciscough...?”

“I cannot speak more of it, just please stay alert.”

“I will...”

“And then, I woke up. I didn't get it. He tells me that he's in danger, as well as me, and now...I don't know what to do.” “I do...believe me, dear cousin. I'll know what to do. No spirit will interfere in your way of living...”

“What are you thinking about, Reline?” “Oh, nothing really...say, would you and Howie like to come over for dinner tomorrow night? I'm going to cook something special, and it's going to be a surprise. I hope you'll like it.” I smile at her, and hug her. “I can't wait. I'm so glad you understand what's going on...”

“Yeah...thanks. I'm sorry for calling you a nutjob. Now I understand.. .You know you're of Tudor royal blood, right?” “Not exactly. I'm French. He told me my last name was DuVrin, whereas my adoptive name, Domini, is Italian. I don't know if my family was of royalty or not.” “I see...well, I'd better get going. I have a lot of things on my plate at the moment. I'll call you about dinner tomorrow night.” “I'll await the call...” she gives me one last hug before leaving the room, heading upstairs.

“So, she wants us over there for dinner tomorrow?”

“Yes, she does. Will you be busy?”

“No, I'm off tomorrow night. I'll be there, and—Ahh...”

“Are you ok?”

“Yes....I'm fine...stomach cramp. Nothing serious.”

“Well...ok... I'll see you tomorrow. I love you.”

“And I, you, beloved.”

I hang up the phone after him. When he had the sharp pain, at the same time it felt like something tugged at my heartstrings. It was probably nothing in particular. I lie back in my bed, and drift off to sleep.

He was in deep pain. Howie held onto his chest, gripping at it tightly as he let out a throaty groan.

“What...what' s wrong with....me.. .?” His heart was beating fast, and sweat began to pour down his face. He held onto a chair for support but it didn't help...he sat down, his head onto his office desk breathing erratically. “Please....make it stop...make it STOP.” he said, sharply. Little did he and Avangellina know, that somewhere on the other side of town, a small ritual was being held by Reline and Father Calapeglia.

He looked up at the sky, and mumbles, “A...Avangellina. ..I should have told you...she's completely against us....and I don't think I have much time....”