- Text Size +

 

 

“I was thinking a few days back,” Laura started as her son and his ‘family’ started with their food, “about going on a European vacation. I want Jessa and Daphne to come along with me.”

“That’s great, Mom.” Nick looked down to his daughter. “Do you want that, baby?”

“I want you to come, too.” There is the excited glint in the little girl’s eyes. “Let’s go to Italy.” Nick almost choked on his water when his daughter said that. How could Daphne know that Italy is in Europe? He turned to her.

“Italy?”

“Mommy told me about Italy and that it is in Europe.” Daphne replied. Jessa only shrugged when Nick took a glance on her. “I want to go there!”

“Yes, maybe,” Nick muttered.

“I’m excited, Mommy!” Daphne added. She then, announced that she needs to go to the ladies’ room. Her grandmother quickly volunteered to accompany her. Jessa is only silent. She has a dilemma when Laura announced her plans for vacation and she couldn’t tell that to them, especially that Daphne is in front of her.

“You told Daphne about Italy?”

“She asked about it. I told her that it’s a country and where it is.” Jessa answered. She takes a bite on her food. It takes her a while before she speaks again. “Nick, you’ve got to tell her anytime soon.”

“Don’t you want to go to Europe?” Nick asks. She shakes her head. “Come on. It will be fun.”

“Nick,” Jessa frowned. “Think of Daphne. We can’t do that. It will only create more damage from what has already been done.” She quietly tells him. “And besides, I don’t have a passport. I don’t want to tell that in front of Daphne. Her ‘mother’ has been to Italy but still doesn’t have a passport.” She saw him grinned. She rolled her eyes and lightly slaps his arm. “Yeah, I know. That’s funny and ridiculous!” She bit her lip on that.

“I, uh…” Nick leaned towards Jessa and touched her arm. He was about to speak when Daphne and Laura are back.

“Dad, can I have ice cream?”

“Sure, baby.” Nick called a waiter to make his order.

“Have you already decided?” Laura asked the two. Nick gave his mother a look about something to talk about later. Laura understood and they went back to eat.

“Hi, Nick.”

Nick’s eyes widened upon hearing that voice. He knows that voice. So did Laura. They looked up to see Tania standing behind Daphne, who’s busy asking Jessa about tying her shoelaces. “Tania…” Nick’s voice trailed off.

Jessa immediately looked up when she heard the name he said. So, this is Daphne’s real mother. Oh, no!



~~~



“What are you doing here? Why did you do that? We have an agreement!” Nick quietly hissed after he took Tania out of the restaurant to talk with her alone. He didn’t want to show it but he actually feared this moment when Tania decided to go back to his life and show herself to Daphne.

“I just want to see my daughter.”

“The daughter that you gave up years ago,” Nick added.

“I’m still her mother.”

“Regardless of that, you’ve given up the responsibility and we have a legal contract on that.” Nick frowned. “Go away. Don’t show up again.”

“And what? Let that woman be recognized as her mother? I won’t let that happen. I’m still Daphne’s mother and I will bring this to court.” Tania exclaimed. Nick is thankful that they are in the parking lot otherwise, people will give them curious looks and he doesn’t want to be the subject of anyone’s attention.

“In the first place, it’s your choice, Tania. No matter what angle you see it, you gave up the child and you gave me your full rights as her mother. I have the legal document on that.” Nick casually said even though his insides were churning at the thought of a court battle for his daughter. He doesn’t want to resort on that. Daphne is his. “And that woman inside with Daphne is a great woman. It wouldn’t harm anyone of us if she will step on the role which was supposed to be yours.” His eyes narrowed. “Try to bring this to court, Tania, and you will get your own dose of medicine. I’m not going to give her up to you. You’re not going to win her this time. If I only knew, you just want another piece of my money, huh?”

“Yeah, you’re right. I’m going to get what I want.”

Nick gave her one last glare and then went back inside the restaurant.



~~~



There was silence inside the car as they went home. Daphne got tired and went to sleep on her grandmother’s lap. Jessa is sitting beside Nick who is driving the car. After Tania’s unexpected appearance earlier, the festive mood was gone. Everyone was in deep thoughts, except Daphne who still doesn’t know what’s happening.

When they reached the house and Nick stopped the car in the front, he went out and took his daughter from his mother. The two women watched him walked up the stairs and towards Daphne’s room.

“He’s worried and afraid of losing Daphne,” Jessa heard Laura said as they went in the house. They only smiled at the butler who greeted them and together, they walked up the stairs.

“Tania is Daphne’s mother. That’s her, right?” Jessa recalled what happened when Tania approached their table. Nick stood up, quickly excused himself from them, and pulled Tania out of the restaurant. Daphne wondered who the woman is and Laura quickly replied as someone who is her father’s friend.

“Yes, that’s her,” Laura replied with a sigh. “She’s still a beauty, from the last time I saw her. But I really don’t like her ever since. I know the women of her kind and what they want from my son. For years of keeping up with Nick ever since his father died, I’ve noticed how some women got attracted not just by his looks and charm or his intellectuality but also by the wealth that he had. His father was a successful real estate businessman before he died of liver cancer."

"Nick, being the only child, inherited everything from his father including the family business. But since he is a full-time doctor, he entrusted the position to a cousin while still maintaining the majority of the shares in the company. I saw how hard it was for Nick when his Dad died and then Tania announced about her pregnancy. It brought life back to my son although in some part, it disappointed him that she doesn’t want the child. He took the matters legally and offered Tania what she wants. You know the rest that happened.” She finished. She takes Jessa’s hands.

“Jessa, I hope that this will be over. I never interfere with my son’s decisions. I’m only here to guide him. But with you, I hope you can somehow help. My son and my granddaughter need you. I need you, too.”

Jessa couldn’t help but only nod. She doesn’t have a choice anyway. And this may be the only and last way to show Nick that she cares for him and his family. After this, maybe she can go back to her normal life. But her heart will remain to him.