- Text Size +

 

 

Jessa was about to go to the kitchen to get a glass of water when she realized that she is the only one in the room. Nick wasn’t in the usual place he’s occupying when he sleeps. He’s nowhere on the floor. Putting on her slippers, she quietly walked out of the room to look for him. It didn’t take her long since she heard a quiet noise on the terrace. She went there and saw Nick sitting on a chair, his arms hanging by his knees and his head dipped low.

She saw the shaking of his shoulders and realized that he’s crying. Her heart goes out to him. It’s probably something about Tania and Daphne. She understands if Nick is crying over worry for Daphne but if it’s about Tania, it hits Jessa straight to the heart. Could it be that he still feels something for her?

She heard him sniffed and saw him wiped his tears. When he straightened up to lean back on the chair, he saw her. “I thought you’re asleep.”

“I got thirsty and then I realized that you’re gone.” Jessa started to go back but Nick called her.

“Will you please stay with me for a while?”

Jessa didn’t think twice when she felt that this is the time that he needs company. And she wants to be with him and make him feel that she will always be there whenever he needs her. In fact, she’s beginning to love being in his company, either they are arguing or agreeing over something. She sits down on the chair beside his.

“What are we going to do now?” She asks, knowing that Nick understand what she is talking about.

“We have to tell Daphne tomorrow.”

Maybe it was her turn to cry. Her job will be over soon. She will be out of this house and of the Carters’ life. She blinked many times to keep the tears from flowing and a lump formed in her throat when she prevented herself from crying. It’s hard but she has to face it. She chose to do this in the first place. There’s no one to blame if she happens to fall for her boss but herself.

“Jessa…”

“Yes, we’ve got to tell the little girl. I hope it’d turn out fine.” She quietly and carefully said so as not to let him know that she is close to tears.

“I’ve got to tell you this before I lose my chance, Jessa.” Nick started after a few moments of silence.

Jessa shakes her head to erase the thought that Nick may feel the same way about her, too.

“I’m sorry for the rude and arrogant man that I am, for that time that I insulted you and told you things that hurt you. I deeply apologized.” Nick faced her. “And second and the most important thing is that I am thanking you for doing the best that you can be, as what a mother should be. For the past weeks of being with us, you’ve given my daughter the happiness of having one although we know that we’re lying to her. But still, I appreciate all your concerns, your effort and your love for my daughter. You are a good person and I wish you all the best for your plans in life. And I hope that someday, you will find someone who will love you and will give you a wonderful life of having a family of your own.”

Jessa nodded and smiled. She couldn’t help the tears from falling now. She quickly wiped it. “Sorry…”

“Ssshh…” Nick smiled and then pulled her in a hug. “Thank you for coming into our lives, Jessa. You’ve done a lot for my daughter and for me, too. And I will never forget when we played rock-paper-and-scissors.” They chuckled. They pulled apart. “If you need anything, I’m just a call away.”

From the dark hall inside the house, Laura silently watched the two and hopefully prayed that a miracle will work between Nick and Jessa. If only he can see it, Jessa is the woman he’s been waiting for in his life. But maybe, he just had to lose her first before realizing how important she is to him.



~~~



Nick took off his eyeglasses and drew a nervous deep breath. He entered Daphne’s room but didn’t find her daughter there. When he went to the adjoining room, he saw her playing with the four dolls he bought. Those were her favorites, especially the one that Jessa chose. “Hi, baby.”

Daphne looked up and smiled. Nick sat beside her. His daughter kissed him first before going back to her dolls. “I have something to tell you, Daphne.”

The little girl looked up. “What is it, Daddy?”

Nick drew another deep breath. “Remember when I told you that your mother was away for a job? She’s been away and now, she’s back.”

“I know, Daddy. What are you saying?”

“Your mom didn’t study cooking in Italy. She’s an actress in England. That’s where your mommy has been for the years since the time she left you and me in the hospital. She just came home and she’s the one who approached us last night at the restaurant.” When Nick saw that Daphne’s eyes were full of confusion now, he takes her hand. “I’m sorry that Daddy lied to you, baby. Jessa is not your real mother. Your mother’s name is Tania and she’s the one who came to us last night.”

Daphne began to cry. “It was wrong to lie, Daddy.” When he tried to reach for her, she moved away. Nick’s tears fell. “I want my mommy.”

“I’m sorry, baby.”

“I want my mommy!” Daphne said again and ran out of her room. She met Jessa in the hall and stopped. The kid looked up at her for a while before succumbing into her arms. “Mommy!”

“Baby!” Jessa embraced her. “Please understand, Daphne. I’m not your real mommy. Your dad only asked me to be your mother for a while because…”

“I don’t care. You’re still my mommy.” Daphne cried. Jessa shushed and tried to calm her. The kid is starting to gasp consistently.

“Ssshh. Your heart, baby.”

Daphne nodded and stopped crying. Her embrace on her grew tighter when they felt Nick tried to get her. “Daddy, I want my mommy! I hate you!”

“Please, Daphne. I’m so sorry.”

Daphne let go of herself from Jessa and ran back to her room and locked it. Nick failed to catch his daughter and knocked on the door. “Daphne, open this door. Don’t lock this. I won’t come inside, I promise.”

“You failed a lot of your promises, Daddy!”

Nick felt a pain in his heart when his daughter said that. Yes, Daphne is saying the truth. He failed her many times. He knocked again. He is worried that his daughter might have a heart attack. When he saw his mother came up to the second floor to know what the commotion is all about, he immediately asked for the spare key. “Daphne, please open the door.”

“I don’t want to, Daddy!” Daphne screamed from the other end. She’s crying a lot harder and the adults outside the room were so worried of her condition.

Jessa glared at Nick as she softly pounded on the door. “Baby, this is Jessa. You know I’m not your mommy but I cared a lot about you. Let’s talk about this. We’re worried. Your heart, baby. Please. Don’t lock this door. We only want to make sure that you’re fine.” But the kid won’t budge and is still crying. She’s beginning to get worried as she remembered the consequent gaps and abnormal breathing that Daphne’s having while embracing her moments earlier. “Where’s the key?” She saw Nick’s helpless stare on the door. He stopped knocking when she did and just stood there. There were tears in his eyes when he turned to her. She never thought that there’s such man who would face a woman in this most vulnerable moment in his life. She saw him leaned his forehead on the door and knocked again.

“Baby, I’m sorry…”

They both turned to the door when they heard the scratches and noises inside. They couldn’t hear the cries anymore. Nick shouted to prepare for a car. Laura came with the keys and they immediately opened the door. They saw Daphne kneeling in front of the bed, gasping for a breath while her hand was placed near her heart.

“Daddy…”

Nick quickly picked her up and placed her on the bed. Jessa watched as he gives his daughter the first aid for heart attacks. She knew that Nick will lose his mind if something will happen to Daphne. He can never forgive himself and so did she. Jessa will never forgive herself and she couldn’t imagine living a life if they lose Daphne.