- Text Size +

 

 

Jessa has been pacing back and forth for a long time now and then she would settle to a nearby chair. It’s been two days since Nick told his daughter the truth about her mother. Daphne almost had a heart attack but Nick was able to save her. After that, Nick decided to continue with the operation that has been advised by Dr. Richardson a long time ago. Now, Nick is inside with the elder doctor to finally put an end on Daphne’s weak heart condition.

Laura held Jessa’s hand. The elder woman has been crying a lot. She’s been worried of her granddaughter, too. “I hope my Daphne will be alright.”

“She will,” Jessa told her and herself. “We will see her play and sing on stage again.”

“I’ve got to tell you this before you decide to leave us.” Laura said and faced her. “Ever since I’ve known you and have seen you care a lot for this family, I have had hopes that Nick would realize how special you are. You’ve been so great and I never thought that a stranger like you could have a big heart to be concerned a lot about this family. If you leave, I’m sure that everyone will miss you. I will surely miss you. I’d like to thank you for all that you’ve done in this family. I’d like to thank you because I finally found a woman that I want for my son. If only Nick can see it, you’re just the one that we’ve all been waiting for.”

Jessa’s tears fell as she drew a deep breath. “Uh, I don’t know what to say but thank you for your trust and belief that I’m capable to do such things. It’s been heartwarming. I will never forget this experience that I had with you and your family, Laura. Thank you, too.” She reached out to wipe the old woman’s tears on her cheeks. “And about Nick, just let him find the woman that is really meant for him. It may be me or not, we just hope that he’ll be happy and that the woman who will come in his life would treat him well.”

“Yes, I’ve been praying for that.” Laura nodded.

The surgery has been a long wait but the two women patiently stayed outside to wait for the development. It’s been hours since Daphne was taken inside the room and they were waiting in agony. Still, nobody even wants to leave. The butler, who was with them, carefully took care of their needs and tried to tell them to eat. Laura and Jessa gave in but only made a quick break then went back outside the surgery room to wait once again.

“What happened to my baby?” Even though she still hasn’t reached the door of the surgery room, Laura and Jessa already heard Tania’s voice echoing down the hall. Laura stood up and faced the approaching woman.

“In the first place, you have no right over my granddaughter.” With all the grace and composure she had as a famous socialite, Laura tilted her chin high as she faced Tania, “so don’t call her yours.”

Jessa watched as Tania raised an eyebrow. “Back off, old woman. I know that you brainwashed Nick and made him offer me money in exchange for my child.”

“You know better that I never interfered with my son. It was his decision to do what is necessary when you announced that you’re abandoning your child. You never cared about her ever since she was conceived, even tried aborting her. It never happened but it turned out that she has a weak heart and it was your fault. That’s the complication when you tried to kill your own daughter.” Laura straightforwardly stated. “Now, tell me who has the right. And try to bring this to the court and I will tell everyone the kind of person that you are and what you did to my granddaughter. Let’s make them decide if they will trust you with Daphne or not.”

“You’ve given me no choice then…” Tania glared.

“I didn’t, we didn’t,” It was Laura’s turn to raise an eyebrow. “I’ve had records that you even bought a plane ticket out of the country days before you gave birth to Daphne. You’re so eager to leave her and Nick to get on with your life.”

Jessa stood up. “Uh, let’s not talk about it here, please. The people are staring. And let’s respect Daphne who is now struggling for her life inside the surgery…” she tries to say. Laura turned to her and held her hand. The elder woman sat back on the chair, pulling Jessa to sit beside her. Tania was left standing and looking around her.

“I won’t leave.” She said and sat beside Jessa. The women didn’t say anything to her. She turned to Jessa. “How long have you and Nick been together?”

“Not that long,” Jessa replied and looked at Tania, “But enough to earn respect from his family, especially from his daughter.”

“He will give up on you now that I’m back. He loves his daughter and he will only want the best for her and that includes a complete family…” Tania was interrupted by Laura.

“That will only happen if Nick will ask Jessa to marry him, not you, especially not you,” the elder woman retorted.

Jessa bit her lower lip as she found herself in the middle of the two bickering women. She was about to speak when the door finally opened and it revealed Kevin. When he saw Tania, his jaws clenched. He turned to Laura who immediately approached him.

“How’s my granddaughter, Kevin?”

“She’s fine. She will be better soon,” Kevin lightly squeezed the woman’s arm. “Nick is inside, never wanted to be separated from Daphne. You’ve got a strong family inside, Laura, and Nick did his best to save his daughter.” He turned to Jessa. “You must be his girlfriend.” He said, ignoring Tania who stood beside Jessa. “Nick asked me to tell you to wait for him.”

Jessa nodded. “Thank you, doc.”



~~~



Jessa sits alone in the chapel. The heart surgery has been successful and while Nick is too busy never wanting to leave Daphne’s side and arranging the best suite for her, she decided to go to the hospital’s chapel and say a prayer of thanksgiving.

‘Dear God, I thank you for giving this blessing of a new day for all of us especially for our darling little girl who deserves the gift of a good and healthy life,” she quietly started. “I hope she will grow up to be loving, respectful and kind person. May You always guide her in every thing she say or do.

As for her father, I hope he will find his own happiness. Please guide him, too. He’s a good father and he loves his daughter very much. I ask for your forgiveness that we resorted into deceiving Daphne. I am deeply sorry for that’

Jessa wiped her tears. She recalled the past months of her life where she found something she only dreamed of when she was younger. When she was younger, she dreamed of becoming a wife and mother just like her own Mom. For a short period of time, she experienced being a part of a complete family, having an almost-husband and a daughter. For once, she lived her dream. Daphne is the picture of a child she hoped to have: loving and caring. And Nick is the type of man she would want for a husband, despite of his arrogance sometimes. She smiled at that thought.

But it will never happen in her real life because her job already ended. Daphne knows the truth. She’s doing fine now and they will all go back to their normal lives. She shouldn’t expect more because this is all that there is. She will leave bringing along just the memories with her. And Nick will never see her the way that she thinks she sees him right now. She will have no chance. She knew it from the last time that they had a conversation – the night before he told the truth to Daphne. He even wished her well for her life. That only means that she has done a good job and he’s looking forward of moving on with his daughter and she will be on her own.