- Text Size +

 

 

Nick quietly stared at his daughter’s sleeping form while he is sitting on a soft couch inside the suite he has especially taken for Daphne. He always made sure to provide the best for his little girl. He couldn’t leave her side; let her out of his sight for a moment. The heart surgery has been successful. It was the most intense experience in his life – by trying to save his daughter. Daphne is on her way to recovery now but he still couldn’t help himself to get worry, not because there might be complications from the surgery as it was very well-performed but because he really doesn’t want anyone in his family to be inside the hospital. Being a doctor gave him a lot of experiences in dealing with sickness and death. It’s been hard for him to bear the sadness of some people’s condition and he doesn’t want to feel that way.

Nick was about to drift off to sleep when he heard the door opened. There was a rustle in the Sitting Room of the suite. He turned and saw Tania. He stood up. “This is the effect from your attempts of aborting her and now, you have the guts to show your face here.”

“No matter how much you will keep her away from me, you can’t deny that I’m still her mother and not that girlfriend of yours,” Tania replied.

“What do you want now?” Nick asked. He saw her eyes began to water with tears. Here we go again. Open the dam, he thought.

“Can’t you give me a chance to start anew and be back in your life, Nick? I missed you so much because I realized that I still love you. And I’m ready now to make us become a family.”

“I no longer trust you, Tania. Don’t use your drama on me,” Nick’s jaw clenched.

Tania wiped her tears. “I’m not making a drama. I’m telling you what I feel. Now, if we can’t be together again, you should, at least, let me be known by my daughter.”

“I will not deny her that but she will never be yours, Tania.” Nick stared at her for a while. He knows her and she has plans but he won’t let her get away with it. “You will never get her. She may recognize you as her mother but she will never go with you. We legally agreed on that. You formally relinquished her to me, along with your rights as the mother.”

“I know.”

Nick nodded. It seems like Tania already accepted that fact that she will never be able to take Daphne away. He turned to Daphne who is still sleeping. He puts his hands in his pockets. “How are you?” He asked quietly. “Did you get your dream?” There’s no use to continue fighting with her. They both know the agreement they had years ago. And after all, she’s still his daughter’s mother. He saw her bit her lower lip.

“Yes, I did. I’m famous in London. I have several projects that this is the only vacation I had for my time off.” Tania met his look. He knew she’s become famous. He was updated by the nurses every time something new came up about her. “Besides, I missed you,” she continued telling him. “I never thought that I’d miss you this much, that I still love you after all.”

“After all?”

“I love you, Nick. And I’m willing to give up the things I have now just to be with you…”

Nick shakes his head. “I moved on, Tania. You’re now just a mother to my child.”

“And you’re making Daphne refer your girlfriend as her mother now?”

“Daphne knows Jessa isn’t her mother. I made it clear on that but still, she’s calling her Mommy.” Nick replied, glancing at his daughter then back to Tania. It’s true that after Daphne almost had a heart attack, she’s still calling Jessa her ‘mommy’ because she said she wanted to. When a heart surgery was immediately scheduled for her, Daphne always seek the comfort and safety in Jessa’s presence until she was needed to proceed on the day of the surgery.

“And you’ll make it permanent when you marry Jessa?” There’s a sad look on Tania’s face but Nick knew she’s a good actress. There were several times that he fell on her trap but not now. She lost his trust and respect when she signed the legal document of relinquishing her rights to him as a parent. It will be hard for Nick to believe the truth in Tania’s words and actions now.

“Why do you want to know?” Nick would rather ask than to answer to question. The truth is, he doesn’t know. Jessa has made an impact in their lives that he doesn’t want her to go. Now that Daphne is fine, the job ended as stated in the contract but he’s beginning to consider on making her stay. How can he tell someone to stay when the person wants to be away in the first place?

“I’m still hoping that I can get you back.”

Nick didn’t reply. He turned to his daughter and sits beside her. When the bed moved a little, Daphne slowly woke up. “Oops, I’m sorry, baby.” His daughter only smiled and then looked at Tania. He cleared his throat. He held her hand. The little one still deserves to know her mother. He won’t deprive her of that. “Daphne, this is your real mom.” When he said that, he felt his daughter gripping his hand tighter. Daphne is expecting his guidance in the situation. His poor daughter; she didn’t deserve this dilemma. “Your mom wanted to see you while she’s on vacation.”

“Daddy’s right, Daphne,” Tania leaned closer to their daughter. Daphne only looked at her.

“But why aren’t you here with us? Where were you?” the little voice spoke to her after a few moments.

“I, uh, had a job that kept me away in a very long time.”

“Will you stay now?” Daphne asked again.

It took a long while that Tania couldn’t reply on her daughter’s question. And being the kid that she is, Daphne has a short attention span and turned to her father. “Dad, where’s Mommy?”

Nick was about to reply when he and Daphne were surprised at Tania’s sudden outburst. “I am your Mommy! Do you understand? You only have one Mommy and that’s me!” She shouted.

“Hey! You don’t talk to her like that!” Nick angrily stood up and pulled Tania out of the room but Daphne began to cry. Nick went towards her daughter, followed by Tania who pushed Nick away. She kept on talking and shouting at Nick. “Stop it, Tania. You’re making the kid upset.”

“I will say what I want to say,” Tania continued, “I’m your Mommy and I will get you. You will never be anyone’s daughter but me, Daphne.”

“I hate you!” Daphne cried as she shakes her head and pulled her Daddy tighter in an embrace. “Daddy, take her away.”

“Ssshh, Daphne…” Nick pulled away and took Tania out of the room and into the lobby. Some people were surprised at the commotion as Tania continued talking in a raised voice. “Stop! Stop it, Tania! You’re not going anywhere near my daughter. You have no right to raise your voice at her!” When she tried to reach for the door, Nick blocked the way and lightly pushed her away. “I don’t want to hurt you, Tania. Go away! Daphne just had a surgery and you’re not helping her recover. You’re making her upset.” His loud voice brought the attention of the security in that floor. Laura, on the other hand, was coming down the hall when she saw the scene.

“You can’t stop me, Nick!” Tania glared at him as the security held her after Nick instructed them to.

“You shouted at my daughter!” Nick replied. He turned to his mother. “Mom, go to Daphne. She’s alone inside.” The older woman quickly followed. He turned to Tania. “I’ll get a temporary restraining order. The hospital staff here can witness on what has been your attitude. You’re a threat to my daughter and I can’t forgive you for what you’ve done.”

“I can’t forgive you, too. You let her call someone else as ‘mommy’.”

Nick shakes his head. “In the first place, you gave her up to me even before she was born. We have a legal document on that. You never really wanted her. And may I ask, did your fans in London know that you’re already a mother?”

“No, but I intend to tell everyone…”

“Get her out,” Nick ordered the guards and went back inside the suite. Daphne is no longer crying. When he sat beside his daughter on the bed, he held her hand. “I’m so sorry, baby. How are you?” He asked worriedly. Tears began to fall.

Daphne reached out his face with her little hand to wipe away the tears. “I’m fine, Daddy,” she sniffed. “Where’s Mommy Jessa?”

Nick smoothed her hair. “Why do you still keep on calling Jessa your mommy when you know that she isn’t?” he asks instead.

“Because that’s what I think a mommy should be, a nice one like her.” Daphne replied a-matter-of-factly. “I don’t care if she isn’t my real Mom. What matters most is that she cares a lot for us more than anyone should. Am I right, Daddy?”

Nick nodded and kissed her on the forehead. “You’re right, baby. But right now, I don’t know where Jessa is. I’m waiting for her, too.”