- Text Size +

 

 

Am I ready to tell them that I’m leaving the job, now that it’s finally over? Jessa asked herself as she went out of the chapel and ready to go back to the suite where she’s told Daphne was taken into. She shakes her head. She really had to get some courage to tell it to Nick, and most especially to Daphne. The little girl has grown dear to her.

“Excuse me?”

Jessa turned to the nurse who spoke. “You’re Dr. Carter’s girlfriend, right.” The nurse asked and she only nodded. “There’s something going on at the second floor outside his daughter’s suite. I just thought you’d want to know.”

She only nodded. “Thank you,” she preferred the stairs towards the second floor just in time when the elevator opened and Tania came out and has been escorted by the security and Kevin. They didn’t see each other. She reached the floor and things seemed normal. She found Nick and Laura with Daphne, who is very excited to see her. She kissed her on the forehead. “How’s my little darling? Do you think you can sing and dance on stage again?” she winked.

“I’m fine, Mom. Dad and Uncle Kevin are great doctors. I’m sure I’m fine.” Daphne answered her.

“Ah, Daphne, You just knew how to complement your father.” Nick playfully shoved her hair.

“It’s true, Daddy, although Uncle Kevin is better since he’s older.” Daphne said which makes the three adults laughed.

“Hey, I hear that. Who’s that noisy little kid who said that?” Kevin asked who just came inside. He kissed the little girl on the cheeks. “Is it you? Do you think I’m that old, huh?” He lightly and playfully pinched her cheeks.

Daphne laughed. “Uncle Kevin! My heart!”

“Oh, you can’t fool the old man on that. We made sure you’re fine enough.” They laughed. Kevin turned to Nick. “I was informed about what happened. I made sure that she’s escorted out in a nice way though.” Nick didn’t say anything. He and his friend excused themselves and went towards the sitting room of the suite, away from Daphne’s earshot. Jessa followed them while Laura stayed behind.

“What happened?” She asked the two. They turned to her. “A nurse informed me that something’s going on here but when I got here, I didn’t see anything.”

“Tania and I were talking about Daphne. When the little girl woke up, I introduced her to her real mother and she began asking questions to Tania. It came to the part when she asked her mother if she’ll stay but Tania didn’t answer or rather, it took her a while to answer it. And before she could reply, Daphne turned to me and asked about you, calling you ‘Mommy’ in front of Tania. That made Tania reacted about you and shouted at my daughter.” Nick quietly explained.

“She raised her voice to Daphne?” Kevin frowned.

Nick nodded. “Daphne was so upset that she began to cry. I took Tania out of the room and told her to leave. It was hard. We kept on arguing in the lobby until the security came and took her away.” His jaws clenched. When he glanced at Jessa, she’s staring back at him. “It was upsetting, the way she treated my daughter. I’ll file a TRO against her. I don’t care if she’s my daughter’s mother.”

“But you can’t blame Tania, too,” Jessa said. “It’s true that she’s wrong when she treated Daphne that way earlier or acted way beyond you expected from her but she’s still her mother. You can’t take that away from her.” She drew a deep breath. “And besides, Daphne needs a mother. Now that Tania is here, you can give her that chance.”

“Daphne was even scared of her mother. And I don’t want to think on how she will grow up having a mother like that.”

“Do you really think she’s scared of Tania?” Jessa asked him. She’s doing this for Daphne. The kid needs a mother and now that her job is done, Tania can do the role now. Maybe, Tania can be a good mother after all. “Nick, if given the chance, the kid may like her mother. They can spend a time together.” When he only stared at her, she continued. “Nick, we both have our mothers and we know how important they are in our lives. Don’t deny that loving feeling to your daughter.”

“Wait.” Nick shakes his head. “As far as I can remember, I’m the father. Don’t tell me what to do.”

Kevin tried to cut in when he felt the tension rose between the two. “Come on, Nick, she’s just –“

“And I only paid you to play the role of her mother for a while so stop telling me what to do.” Nick continued. Jessa and Kevin stared at him. Kevin stared in disbelief for he just found out the truth and the arrangement between these two while Jessa stared with hurt in her heart when she heard the words from Nick.

Jessa blinked twice. “Oh, yeah. I forgot. And furthermore, my contract has ended too. My job is done. I really don’t have the right to say those things to you, Sir, and I’m sorry.” She turned away and walked towards Daphne. Nick didn’t try to move from where he is standing and only watched her kissed his daughter on the forehead and said goodbye. It’s just a simple farewell but the little girl seemed to understand what’s going on. She doesn’t want Jessa to go but the other one quickly turned to Laura and hugged her. Without looking at him and Kevin, she immediately was out of the suite.

Jessa is gone.