- Text Size +

 

 

Nick walked towards the balcony. It’s been quiet around the house and he finds it different. It seems like something has gone away along with Jessa when she left the place. He sat down on the couch situated at the corner facing his backyard’s large garden. It’s peaceful but it still seemed like something is missing. He didn’t want to think that it’s Jessa’s presence because he oriented himself from the start that her stay was only temporary. He didn’t want to think that she has really done a great work of playing the role of Daphne’s mother so well that his daughter hated him for days because he didn’t try to look for her and bring her back in the house. It’s not that easy and Daphne still couldn’t understand that. He couldn’t tell her that Jessa is angry at him for saying those words to her. He was really out of line there, at the hospital. He knew that Jessa was just trying to help and that she’s still concerned about Daphne’s welfare. He didn’t have to remind her that she was only paid to do the job that they agreed from the start.

Nick sighed. He heard his phone rang and answered it. It’s his best friend, Chris, on the other line. “Hi, how are you? Where are you? Huh?” He listened for a while. “I’m not in the hospital. It’s my day off.” He replied and listened again. “Daphne’s not here. She’s in school. I don’t know, man. I stopped dating for a while. Why? It’s because of Daphne.”

He stood up and paced for a while. He smiled. Chris is back in town and he wants Nick to go back on the dating scene. “No, I don’t know.” He replied again. Chris can be pushy sometimes. “And where did you hear that? Yes, I had a girlfriend but we already broke up. Yeah, Daphne’s calling her mommy and now my daughter is mad at me for losing her.” He looked down in the garden. The place is really empty and he doesn’t like it. “I’ll think about it for now, Chris. I’m sorry. I just don’t have time for it right now.” He shakes his head. He ended the call and turned around. He saw his mother. “Mom…”

“I just came from my friend, Lucas, and he told me about a proposal of doing a lifestyle show on TV.” Laura started.

“What is your decision?” Nick folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the marble post.

“It seems like a great idea. I want to do something,” Laura drew a deep breath. “I’ve been in search to do something that will occupy a lot of my time since your Dad died. I still miss him, Nicky.”

Nick watched as his mother, who is still beautiful despite her age, went to a bark-colored rattan lounge chair and sat on it. The cool breeze brushed through her light hair as she looks back to her son. “Then you can do whatever you want. I have no intention to stop you because I only wish that you’re happy in whatever that you want to do. You have my support.”

“How about you? You know, I will be also happy and supportive in whatever you decided to do with your life.”

“What do you mean by that?”

Laura smiled. “Is there any other meaning by what I’ve said? I don’t think it’s questionable. You’re my son. I’m really supposed to care a lot about you.”

“I know,” Nick turned towards the garden again. Laura watched her son went silent for a moment. “Did you know what I’m thinking right now?” she heard him sigh. “I want to take Daphne out of here and take her home to your and Dad’s hometown in Florida. And then I can take care of the realty business now.”

“But Nick, you love your profession. Why this sudden decision?” Laura didn’t expect this.

Nick turned back to his mother. “I realized it when Daphne was in the hospital. I haven’t been focused on being a Daddy that’s why I resorted into deciding to hire Jessa to become her temporary mother. I shouldn’t have done that. I shouldn’t have lied to my daughter especially that I know she has a weak heart. I’ve caused her pain and I brought her to harm. I still couldn’t imagine that I could do that to my daughter. So now, I want to retire for a while in being a doctor and to focus on the business that Dad has left me. I also want to be more hands-on to Daphne. She’s growing up so fast. I want to always be there with her.”

“You’ve always wanted to be a doctor and although your Dad was disappointed then, he supported you in whatever your choice. I was, too. But then I saw how happy you are with the career you’ve chosen and I can’t believe that you’re leaving it, even for a while.” Laura met her son’s look. “But I understand if you want to do this for Daphne. I just have one question though…”

Nick only nodded.

“Do you have any plans on settling down? I mean, find a wonderful woman and marry her.” Laura replied. “You’re not getting any younger, son.”

“I don’t have plans for that right now, Mom. I don’t even intend to marry Tania just to have a complete family for Daphne. It’s not worth it. And I don’t have any time for dating women. As I’ve told you, I’ll focus more in being Daphne’s father,” Nick said. He drew a deep breath. There was silence between them for a long while.

“It’s been quiet around the house.” Laura broke the silence. “I missed Jessa.”

Nick puts his hands on his pockets as he started to walk back in the house. But as he passed by his mother, he muttered, “I missed her, too.” He continued on his way. Laura watched her son walked inside. When he’s out of sight, she rose from the lounge chair and raised her fisted hand in the air.

“Yes!” she started to dance around and then moments later, gathered her poise back and went inside the house. She called for the driver. She’s in the mood for a celebration and she’s going to take her granddaughter with her.



~~~



“Take note of that,” Nick reminded his nurse assistant again. Dale nodded as she followed the young doctor down the long corridor. They are preparing for a surgery that is scheduled for Nick in two hours.

“Doc, is it true that you’re leaving?” Dale asked as they walked together. She watched as the young, and cute, doctor turned her way. She always had a crush on him. When she learned that he had a girlfriend, she’s actually glad that someone’s making her boss happy. Nick is a nice man. She always wished him and his daughter well.

“Yes, I’m going to focus on my Dad’s business for a while. I’ll take my daughter to Florida where my Mom and Dad’s hometown were.” He smiled at her.

“And Miss Jessa?”

“W-we broke up.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Sir.” Dale bit her lower lip. They looked good together. What could have happened?

“It’s okay,” Nick quietly replied. They turned down at the corner but stopped when Nick bumped into someone. “Ooops, I’m sorry.” He paused when he saw who it is. “Gretel, hi. I thought you’re in New York.”

“I’m just there for three days. I need to fly back because my Mom is here.” Gretel replied after exchanging kisses with him on both cheeks. Dale looked on and then excused herself from the young doctor to proceed ahead of him. Nick only nodded and turned back to Gretel.

“Why? How is she?”

“She had a heart attack but I’m glad that she’s okay now. I’m so worried, you know.” Gretel told him. “I’ve been looking for you here. I haven’t seen you.”

“I’ve been busy because my daughter’s here last week for a heart surgery. She’s okay now.” Nick arranged his eyeglasses and placed his hands on the pockets of his white suit.

“I’m glad to hear that.”

Nick nodded. “Anyway, I got to go now.” They exchanged smiles. “Bye.”

“Oh, Nick. If you have time, let’s have dinner together, that is, if it’s okay with your girlfriend,” Gretel added.

“We’re not together anymore but I’ll think about what you said. Bye,” Nick said and walked off. He shakes his head. He didn’t realize how many people have known about his ‘relationship’ with Jessa. But it doesn’t matter. It wouldn’t be hard, anyway, to just tell others that they broke up. There’s no big deal on that. His only problem is Daphne. She still wanted to have Jessa around and often throw tantrums. It infuriated Nick sometimes but he can only tell her that Jessa already left.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

thanks for reading! ;)