- Text Size +

 

 

Father and daughter sat quietly on a bench in a park facing the beach. Both wearing dark sunglasses as they watched people passing them by. Attention was mostly given particularly to the father who has a charm that can make any woman’s knees turn to jelly. The little girl is cute, too, but some were only curious at her just because she’s sitting beside the handsome man. Nick doesn’t even look like a father. He wondered what will be these women’s reaction once they learned that he is sitting with his daughter and they are on a mission: balloon-hunting.

“Daphne, we can just go to the mall and buy balloons there. I think they have everything from the colors to the sizes.” He tells his daughter. He is starting to feel conscious by the looks he caught from women in bikinis nearby. He appreciates it but right now, he only wanted to satisfy Daphne’s desire to have one dozen of balloons for her friend’s birthday tomorrow.

They moved back to California almost two months ago. Daphne is back to school, too. When he told his daughter about his plans, she is more than happy about the idea of going back to LA. She missed her grandmother and she’s more used to living there than in Miami because she already had friends here. It wasn’t hard for Nick to explain his plans to Daphne.

“I want to stay here, Daddy.”

“We won’t find anything if we’ll just stay here. Come on, let’s take a walk,” He stood up. Daphne did the same thing and he sighed in relief. That’s because, at the corner of his eye, he saw one of the women in bikinis making her way to them.

But she reached them even before they can get away. “Dr. Carter?”

Nick turned and saw the brunette woman in a red bikini standing before them. He took his daughter in his arms and turned her away, trying to avoid his kid to get a glimpse on the woman’s sexy body. Hey, he’s still conservative when it comes to his daughter. “Yes?”

“I’m Brenda, one of your patients before. You’ve had a surgery on me before when I had an accident. I forgot to tell you how thankful I am for that. Now, I can walk,” Brenda tells him.

“I can see that,” Nick looked at her long legs. It’s a good thing that he’s wearing his dark shades and can freely give a mild perusal on her beautiful legs.

“I went to the hospital to give you a gift but found that you’re no longer there.” The woman added.

“Oh, thank you is enough. You’re always welcome, Brenda.” He smiled to her. “I’ve got to go. My daughter and I were in search for something.”

“Wait, you’re already a father?” Brenda smiled. “You don’t look like a father, yet alone a married man.”

“Yeah, I am. I just forgot the ring at home. My wife’s gonna kill me,” he chuckled. Daphne turned to him with a questioning look. He winked at his daughter, “don’t tell Mommy,” he quickly added to her, with a warning look.

“Oh, okay,” Brenda glanced at Daphne.

“Bye, we’ve got to go.” Nick nods at her then walked away. He’s still carrying Daphne in his arms.

“Daddy, Mommy’s not here.” Daphne started to say.

He chuckled. “I know,” he replied. Tania visited them once in Florida but went back to London after only a couple of days. Daphne seemed okay with the arrangement right now but from time to time, she’s still asking for Jessa. She still longs for a mother figure. He wanted to give it to her but the person concerned is nowhere to be found. “That will be our secret, okay? Just think about it. Women always come to Daddy and they want to become your Mommy. I don’t want anyone to be just your Mommy. I want it to be Jessa.” He told his daughter about his feelings for Jessa and what he planned for their family.

“But you can’t find her, Daddy.” Daphne made a sad face. “Does she still wants us? She keeps on hiding from us.”

“I don’t know, baby.” Nick can only answer. “I don’t know…” He looked around, hoping that Jessa would happen to be there. He wanted to see her. “Daphne, after this balloon-hunting, let’s go to the hospital to see your Uncle Kev.”

Daphne smiled at that. “Sure. Let’s bring him a cake. Uncle Kevin loves cakes, and something for Mason, too.” She said, pertaining to Kevin’s son, Mason.



~~~



“Okay, I’ll be expecting that today.” Kevin tells the medical technologist in his office. The man nodded and excused himself to go out of the room. When he’s gone, Kevin’s mobile phone rang. It’s Nick. He answered it as he stood up to go out in the hallway and towards the parking lot. He left his brown folder there.

“It’s about time that you call ever since you came back here in LA.”

“And hello to you, too” Nick replied on the other line. “Daphne’s with me and we’re dropping by for a visit today.”

“Wow, okay. I want a peanut butter chocolate cake, okay?”

“Hey, how did you know…?”

“Daphne and I both love cakes.” Kevin laughed, “That’s why she knows what to bring me. Oops!” He stopped immediately as soon as he bumped into someone. The woman suddenly came out from an OB’s office and she never cared that she’s in the middle of the busy hallway. “Hold on. I bumped into someone.” He’s surprised to recognize who it is. Jessa. He quickly helped her up from the floor. “Are you alright?”

Jessa was quiet as she stood up. She nodded. She seemed to be in shock. She stared at Kevin. “Dr. Richardson…”

“Are you alright?” Kevin asked again. She looks pale. He took her back inside the office. He turned back to Nick on the other line. “I’ll give you a tip, my little brother. Go here as fast as you can, as in right now.” And then he finished the call. He went into the OB’s office and found Jessa sitting in the chair. “What happened to you?”

The OB, Dr. Carla Hoffman, went to the receiving area. “What happened, Jessa?” she also asked.

“I got dizzy,” Jessa replied.

“Oh, that’s normal for a pregnant woman like you,” Carla said. “Since this is your first baby, it must be complicated for you to move about and get stressed.” She began to check on Jessa.

“She’s pregnant, Dr. Hoffman?” Kevin said, returning to them with a glass of water. He gave it to Jessa.

“Six weeks.” Carla turned to her patient. “Okay, no more vigorous activities to you, my dear. I’ve already recommended you some vitamins for you and your baby. Don’t forget about that. I’ll write down the instructions to make it clear to you.” She scribbled something on her notepad. When she’s done and gave it to Jessa, her quiet patient smiled and gave her thanks and went out of the office. Kevin nodded to his staff and followed the other woman in the hallway. Jessa only stood there, her back leaning against the wall.

“I didn’t know that this will happen. I didn’t expect it.” She said.

“What are you talking about?” Kevin asked in a soft voice. If he is right, he has the idea about what is happening to Jessa. And Nick has something to do with it.

Jessa looked at him. “Have you seen Nick here in LA? Or is he still in Florida?”

“Can we talk about this in my office, Jessa? If that’s okay with you,” Kevin replied instead. He smiled when she only nodded and he ushered her towards his office. He hoped that Nick would come soon. He needs to know something if his hunch is right that Nick is the father of the baby that Jessa’s carrying.



~~~



Kevin gave her a glass of juice and settled himself in a single couch across hers. Jessa smiled at the framed picture of him and his family. “You have a beautiful family, Dr. Richardson. What’s the name of your wife?”

“Kristin.” He smiled. “She’s an interior designer who worked on this office.” He winked at her. “My son’s name is Mason. He just turned five last month.”

“He’s adorable.”

Kevin nodded. “Okay, back to you, Jessa. Why are you asking for Nick?”

“Is he in Florida right now?” she asked with another question.

“No, he’s back here, for good. He’ll transfer the main office of his father’s business here in LA. He won’t be back as a doctor anytime soon. He’s more focused on his time now for Daphne and the business.” Kevin replied.

“Did he marry Tania?” Jessa asked and bit her lower lip. She had to ask anyway. Kevin stared at her. She felt awkward but she has no choice. She needs to know. Her heart seemed to be breaking any moment now as she thinks of her situation. Kevin is keeping her with the suspense.

“No, as in never, were his words.” He tells her. “But even though he said that, they now came to civil terms for Daphne’s sake. Tania fully relinquished her right as a mother but she visited them once in Florida, only to left immediately after two days to go back to London, as Nick told me.” He clears his throat and asked her. “Why are you asking this?”

“He’s the father of my baby.” Jessa replied without preamble.

“Are you going to tell him that’s why you’re looking for him?”

“I don’t know.” She replied quietly. Silence came between them.

“If I’m the father and heard that, I’ll be mad, Jessa.”

“It’s complicated.”

“I know.”

Jessa looked at Kevin. This man is straightforward. And he seemed to be like a big brother to Nick. “What do you think should I do?” she asks him.

“What do you think you should do?”

Jessa fidgeted and sighed. She looked down on her fingers. “When do you think is he coming here?”

Kevin leaned back against the couch. He smiled and she wondered if that smile means something. “Any moment from now, Jessa,” he answered.

Her first reaction is standing up and turning towards the door. There’s an instant fear in her that she doesn’t want Nick to find her. Kevin quickly followed her and held her hand to stop her. He’s chuckling. What’s funny? “Jessa, don’t go. I’m sure Nick will be glad to see you.”

Jessa was about to reply when Kevin’s phone rang. He let go of her. “Yes? What? Where are you, Nick? At the emergency room… Okay, I’ll be there.”

“What happened?” She asked when Kevin takes his white coat and motioned her to follow him.

“A reckless driver’s car went straight to the sidewalk where Nick and Daphne were. He almost caught Daphne but she’s injured. She’s at the emergency room right now.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

:D