- Text Size +

 

 

There’s a worried look on Kevin’s face. Jessa gasped as she follows him towards the ER. When they got there, Nick’s arm was wrapped with bandage and had a sling on him. His face had bruises. He looked like a mess. He was surprised to see her. Kevin only gave a quick greeting and asked how he is before proceeding inside the ER. Nick and Jessa were left staring at each other. When she extended her arms to hug him, he gave in and cried.

“Oh my God, Jessa…” Nick cried. “I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m so scared. I don’t want to lose my baby.” He hugged her tighter. They stayed that way for a long while. “It feels good to have you here now, Jessa. I don’t know how to handle this alone.” She heard him say.

Jessa looked at him and wiped his tears. A few strands fell down his face and she swept it aside. “I won’t go away now. I promise.”

Nick sniffed. “I think I’m a bad father. I’ve never taken care enough of Daphne.”

“What happened?”

He drew a deep breath. He’s still trembling that Jessa had to calm him. She shushed him and held his hand tight. “D-Daphne and I just walked out of the cake shop towards the parking lot on the next block. She’s talking excitedly about,” he paused as he wiped his tears, “about going to see her Uncle Kevin and the cake that we brought him. And she’s also telling me about her plans when we find you.”

“Nick…”

“And then suddenly, I heard some screeching and the next thing I knew was that I saw a jumping car at the corner of my eye. I immediately pulled Daphne but I don’t know… I felt something smashed in me. I heard my daughter’s scream. The next thing I saw was my little girl lying beside me and full of blood.” Nick cried. “Oh, it was the worst thing I’ve ever seen. The next thing I woke up, I’m already here and I immediately asked for the nurse to let me call Kevin. Uh, I don’t know what’s going to happen to my little girl. I’m so scared, Jessa.”

“There are doctors, including Kevin, who are already attending to Daphne. I’m worried and scared too, because that’s my daughter, my almost-daughter,” Jessa pulled him in an embrace. “We’ll get through this, Nick. Soon enough, we’ll just find ourselves back to normal and playing around in the beach. We have to keep the faith, Nick, for Daphne and for everyone. It will be over soon…” Yes, she wished it would be. It’s frustrating to see the closed doors of the emergency room and not knowing what’s going on.

Nick looked at her. “I wish…” They looked up when the doors opened and Kevin went out.

“Nick…”

“What happened?” The two asked Kevin.

“She had a mild concussion and still under observation. For now, we already treated her bruises. She needs a lot of rest but she is still on a long way from being fine. We still have to observe her complicated condition.”

Nick held Jessa’s hand. “I want to hear that she will be fine soon.”

“I’ve already told you, Nick. You’re a doctor. You know this. That’s too soon to tell. I want her to be fine too and along with the other doctors, we’re doing our best. I just came out to tell you. Daphne will be transferred in an ICU in a while.” Kevin glanced at Jessa. “You need to rest too. You’re not supposed to be exposed here in the hospital. You know what I mean.” And with that, he went back inside.

Nick, still worried about Daphne, sighed as he watched his friend. He wearily ran his fingers through his hair. He turned to Jessa. “What does he mean?”

“Huh?”

Nick stared at her. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. Why did you ask that?”

“Because you’re here in the hospital and Kevin said that you’re not supposed to be here. You know how I hate to see people who are close to me in the hospital. As much as possible, I want you to be away from the hospital,” He touched her face gently. “I miss you, Jessa. I really do.” He said in a low voice. Jessa was touched by the emotion she felt in his words. She met his eyes, those blue eyes that she longed to stare at her like that.

“I miss you, too, Nick.”

Nick continued to caress her face. “Why did you have to go?”

“You’re married.”

Nick looked at her as if she spoke another language. “Is that what you think?” He raised his hands to show her. “There wasn’t any ring here. I never got married, Jessa,” he tells her.

“Yeah, Kevin told me earlier.”

“And because there’s only one person that I want to marry and spend the rest of my life with.”

Jessa bit her lower lip as she tries to keep herself from hoping that his words were for her. She tried to look away but he gently cupped her face. “I love you, Jessa.”

“R-really?”

“Yes, really.”

“I love you, too.” Her emotions gave in as tears began to fall.

“Oh, darling. Why are you crying?” Nick reached out to quickly wipe away the tears. He hugged her. “I’m sorry for everything wrong that I’ve done before. Please forgive me.”

“I’m crying because I’m happy,” Jessa sniffed. They stared at each other for a while before Nick’s lips descended on hers. Their kiss is like coming home to each other, full of hunger and longing but most of all, full of love. When it ended after a long while, Nick wrapped his arms around her and rested his forehead against hers. “Where’s Tania?” She asks him.

“She’s in London.” He replies. “We came to an agreement that she can see Daphne once a month. I don’t intend to take my daughter’s feelings away from her because after all, she’s still her mother. But as far as the months have passed by, Tania visited Daphne only once. She wasn’t here long enough to keep up with her daughter and try to build a bonding with Daphne.” He drew a deep breath. “It seems like Tania really doesn’t care much about Daphne.”

“And Daphne?”

“She’s more concerned about seeing you again, Jessa.” Nick kissed her on the cheeks.

“What about Gretel?” She asks again.

Nick gave her a confused look. “Gretel? What about her?”

Jessa bit her lower lip. She appears to be a jealous girlfriend now but she didn’t mind. She wanted to know since now is the time between them to clarify things. “You said when we saw her at the restaurant that she’s the woman you’d want because you’ve known each other since you were kids.”

Nick sighed as he recalled for a moment. “Oh, Jessa. That’s because I want to make you jealous.”

“Jealous? Is that the reason for all those kisses?”

“Those kisses were part of my curiosity on how wonderful it’d taste like.” Nick encircled his arms on her waist.

“Oh?”

“Really,” Nick kissed the tip of her nose. “And it’s because I’m beginning to like the woman who has given me and my daughter much importance as to be part of her life even in a short while. Jessa, I wished Daphne’s going to be fine soon. I’m looking forward to this family I want to have with her and with you.”



~~~



Laura panicked when she saw Nick’s appearance when she arrived in the hospital a few minutes ago. She took the time to get some tissues in her bag and wiped Nick’s face. And then, she takes out a hairbrush and offered it to her son. Afterwards, she takes out a bottle of mineral water and drinks on it. The two never thought that a bag so small could contain a lot. And they never thought that a respectable socialite such as her could have everything prepared for herself, in a bag.

“How’s my granddaughter?”

The two looked at each other. Nick relayed what Kevin had told them earlier, including the fact that she has just been transferred to the ICU. He’s about to explain about concussions when his mother interrupted him.

“I know what it is,” she turned to Jessa, “how did you end up being here, young woman? You’re with Nick?”

“Oh, yeah. I forgot about that.” Nick seconded. "I don't know why you're here too."

Jessa felt trapped. The two are waiting for an answer and she should give them now. Anyway, this could be the perfect timing to announce her condition. “I’m pregnant. Nick is the father.”

Nick looked stunned for a moment. His eyes deeply bore into hers. Jessa felt insecure that it must not have been the right time to tell it to him. It must be too early, she thought.

Laura’s eyes, on the other hand, grew wide in surprise. She glanced to her son then back to her. How did the two meet and have sex and she doesn't even know it? She wanted to laugh at her thoughts.

“Don’t you want it, Nick?” Jessa asked in a quiet voice. If he said no, she will walk out in the next second.

“No. No, yes, I mean.” Nick gave her a wide smile and surprised her with a full kiss on the lips. “I’m so happy. Darling, you surprised me but I’m so happy. You never know how happy I am.” He cupped her face. “Let’s get married.”

“Huh?” That came from her – and from Laura.

“Yeah, let’s get married, this week or as soon as Daphne gets fine,” Nick looked so happy indeed. “I want it grand. I want everyone to know that I’m marrying the woman that I’ve been so in love with. I want to make everyone see how lucky I am, and Daphne, to have you in our lives. We’ll be a complete family soon.”

Jessa was about to reply when a doctor came out of the ICU. They immediately turned to him. Nick was instantly in front of the doctor. “Carlos, how’s my daughter?”

“She woke up.”